• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aperion N5T Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 108 45.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 113 47.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and measurements of the aperion audio Novus N5T 2-way 5.25" tower speaker. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $1,398 a pair.

Aperion Audio Novus Tower Speaker Review.jpg

Sorry for the stock image. Speaker has been here for a long time and I just have not had time to do anything with it other than measurement. I was pleased how light-weight it was as I could lift it by myself to put on the tall measurement stand. The design is unique although configure is not as an MTM (mid-woofer, tweeter, mid-woofer).

Measurements were performed without the grill. It has been a while but I think the reference axis was around tweeter center.

Aperion N5T Novus Speaker Measurements
As usual we start with our frequency response measurements:
Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker frequency response measurements.png

As noted, response is reasonably flat other than the disturbance in lower treble area of 2 kHz. Directivity changes a lot as well due to interference from the two woofers. The tall cabinet does provide deep response to nearly 30 Hz.

Early window response emphasizes the directivity error:
Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker early window frequency response measurements.png

Due to MTM configuration, the effect is concentrated in vertical axis. So having a thick carpet helps offset that as would having tall ceiling (or absorber in first reflection point).

Putting the two together we get a nearly smooth response other than the interference region:
Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker predicted in-room frequency response measurements.png

Driver response is such:
Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker driver frequency response measurements.png

We see the classic port/cabinet resonance. And some woofer break up/resonance above crossover frequency.

The benefit of MTM configuration is two woofers holding hands which provides much better dynamics as reflected in low distortion numbers:
Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker THD Distortion Percentage measurements.png

Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker THD Distortion measurements.png

This is what you get out of a large box as opposed to a 2-way bookshelf.

Impedance dips low (typical of consumer speakers these days):
Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker Impedance and Phase  measurements.png

Horizontal directivity mismatch is clear in our horizontal plots:
Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker Horizontal Beamwidth measurements.png

Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker Horizontal Directivity measurements.png

Vertical response dramatically shows the beaming of the dual woofers I wrote about earlier:
Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker Vertical Directivity measurements.png

Finally, here are the waterfall and step responses:

Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker  CSD Waterfall measurements.png

Aperion Audio Novus Tower N5T Speaker Step Response measurements.png

I don't have any listening tests or EQ for you. If by chance I get to do that before returning the unit, I will post it.

Conclusions
The N5T is not a perfect speaker objectively. The directivity error and response mismatch in the crossover region is of concern. But then again, you get very deep response with good dynamics capabilities that dual woofers provide. Without listening tests I can't tell you if the latter overcomes the former. You have the data and you can decide. :)

One note about the company: it was exceptionally willing to provide the sample and anything else I needed. So I can definitely recommend the company.

I have no recommendation for the speaker as I have not listened to it. Those of you who don't want to see subjective remarks, this is your day! Vote what you think the performance is.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Aperion N5T Frequency Response.zip
    61.3 KB · Views: 108

pma

Major Contributor
Nice. Directivity in D’Appolito drivers configuration is always a bit tricky.

ralph

Thanks @amirm, great to read a review of a floor stander that one can buy in Europe. Hope we'll get your listening tests back in your next reviews. But this approach is refreshing compared to many magazine reviews with measurements as side notes only.

pma

Major Contributor
Not terrible IMHO, but not more than this. Some smaller and cheaper monitors measure better.
But this one will give you some deeper bass at reasonable level, small monitors cannot do that. If you want more than a PC desktop speakers, this is the way usable in a living room.

GiBo61

Thank you Amirm for your review. I must say that while I have no problem in buying an amplifier based only on positive instrumental measurements, I would never do that for a speaker. I believe that a listening session is mandatory for this type of HiFi gear.

Beave

Major Contributor
Interesting that the tweeter isn't centered between the two midwoofers.

Also interesting is the large narrow slot port on the front. I wonder why they went with these design choices.

respice finem

Major Contributor
But this one will give you some deeper bass at reasonable level, small monitors cannot do that. If you want more than a PC desktop speakers, this is the way usable in a living room.
What I was thinking of: JBL 305 or 308 Mk II plus the matching sub. Admittedly much worse WAF, but otherwise... and they have amplification included.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Score is 5.3 and 6.3 with an EQ. If you add a perfect subwoofer, you get to 6.9 and with both EQ and sub 8.0.
Below you can see the effect of a simple EQ:

filters_eq.png

Code:
EQ for Aperion N5T computed from ASR data
Preference Score 5.3 with EQ 6.3
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.16
Dated: 2022-11-04-08:35:24

Preamp: -5.3 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc  1835 Hz Gain +4.06 dB Q 3.00
Filter  2: ON PK Fc  3079 Hz Gain -2.46 dB Q 2.88
Filter  3: ON PK Fc   153 Hz Gain -1.03 dB Q 1.09
Filter  4: ON PK Fc   357 Hz Gain -1.66 dB Q 2.96
Filter  5: ON PK Fc  1941 Hz Gain +1.50 dB Q 2.99
Filter  6: ON PK Fc   171 Hz Gain +0.85 dB Q 2.95
Filter  7: ON PK Fc   605 Hz Gain +1.15 dB Q 2.95
Filter  8: ON PK Fc  1875 Hz Gain -1.37 dB Q 2.87
Filter  9: ON PK Fc  1883 Hz Gain +1.27 dB Q 2.98

My point of view is that the EQ is not really useful in this case. You lose 5dB of max SPL which is a lot. If you have a good room, possibly the dip at 2k (visible in the PIR) is audible but dips are always harder to hear.

Last edited:

enio nery

noob question. can the droop in the FR be mended with more shallow filter on the tweeter? or would that be solving a problem with another problem?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you Amirm for your review. I must say that while I have no problem in buying an amplifier based only on positive instrumental measurements, I would never do that for a speaker. I believe that a listening session is mandatory for this type of HiFi gear.
I agree. The issue is that I measured this speaker two months back and I just can't find the time to listen to it. It is also blocking the pipeline for other speakers. So I decided to release the measurements.

Waxx

Major Contributor
This looks quiet good on measurements, but what an ugly speaker in white. I'm not fond of white speakers in general, but this looks extremely bad. The black version looks a lot better, only by the colour change...

N5T31000X1000MBP_363x@3x.progressive.jpg

But the measurements are good, and the price is also reasonable. If the listening test is also good it would be a good option for people who like this kind of narrow tall towers (i'm not among them).

Drivers are clearly generic Peerless by Tymphany OEM models. The way they are designed is very typical for them. But that is not a bad thing as they make great drivers for small budgets, and it's a sign the speaker designer knows at least a bit how to design with a budget in mind. No need for special snake oil blablabla, just use what is needed and don't try to reinvent the wheel...

djigibao

Here is a review of a man who listened to them

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wonder how much better this speaker could be it had a an additional midrange driver. I'd expect much better directivity, flat mids and less woofer breakups.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not well engineered with its unnecessarily big vertical driver spacing (also due to the marketing tweeter faceplate) and even worse the resulting directivity peak coinciding with an on-axis dip around 2 kHz making the sound power even more recessed in that region.

poxymoron

I agree. The issue is that I measured this speaker two months back and I just can't find the time to listen to it. It is also blocking the pipeline for other speakers. So I decided to release the measurements.
That's fine with me and the review is appreciated. The first thing I do when researching audio (speakers especially) is look for the objective data. Wouldn't put any speakers on a shortlist without it. The subjective review would have been nice but this objective review is far more helpful than some audiophool telling us how much his wife loved the speakers. Thanks Amir.

Edit: Kudos too, to Aperion for sending Amir the speakers.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I quite enjoy my Grand Verus set (Towers, Center, Bookshelfs, Surrounds) in my theater. For critical 2ch listening I still definitely prefer almost any of the active monitors I have however. I have the first generation (~10 years old) so they were an even better deal than now - although I missed out on the improvements they've since made to the line.

Their more budget offerings seemed tempting, but appearance is much more of a factor with towers IMO - and their cabinet finishes are top notch (especially for the price). Nice to see a review for some of their speakers on here however. Maybe when there's more time and less backlog they could send one of their new GV line to you Amir. :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is giving me strong Klipsch RP-600M vibes, hopefully things clear up in Amir's personal life soon so we can get the listening test back, it's honestly the most valuable part of the review.

index.php

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is giving me strong Klipsch RP-600M vibes, hopefully things clear up in Amir's personal life soon so we can get the listening test back, it's honestly the most valuable part of the review.

index.php
The Klipsch doesn't have additionally to the on-axis presence dip also that large directivity mismatch of the Aperion so it can more rescued by EQ.

Top Bottom