• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

ampguy

Curious if anyone has tested simultaneous line out and volume control affecting both balanced and unbalanced outs, for those of us planning to use the balanced outs to a power amp,and the RCA outs to a powered sub, using the DAC remote for volume control?

Not needing any hi/lo pass filtering, just simultaneous out of the TRS and RCA outs, controlled by the volume knob or remote.

Wolven

I have hooked up the C200 to the system. Needed to put a weight on this thing.

I have a problem, no sound from web browsers, so no youtube sound either.

I have sound in Foobar and VLC.

Anyone knows what to do?

Took couple of hours: PROBLEM SOLVED
Under app volume and device preferences Windows 10, the default output was not recognized as SMSL for some reason.

Last edited:

Wolven

Anyone with C200, can you tell me if yours wakes up automatically when the computer is turned on?

Answer: Apparently SMSL DACS don't have this feature. Topping DACS do.

Last edited:

Wolven

I got the C200 hooked up for now to my speakers via RCA. When turning music on there is slight 'tick' sound, and when turning off 2 seconds after another 'tick.
This is annoying as hell. My Dx3pro didn't do that.
Also when turning music off the display with flicker from rate to 3 dashed lines and then back to rate, but not every time.

Solution:
If anyone has a problem with that faint click, I found solution for SMSL D6 dac and same procedure applies for C200, and I would imagine a few other SMSL dacs.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...msl-d-6-dac-review.36235/page-10#post-1288101

Last edited:

jdg78

I know this is a stretch, but I would love to see one of them jump into the AVR/AVP side of audio. I know the licensing is probably the biggest hurdle, and other ones have tried and failed in the last 10 years IMO. Competition, especially competent competition can only further the home theater industry.

Edit;

When I say other ones have tried to jump into the home theater business and failed, what I mean is some of them have failed to make a stable AVR/AVP. Even the long reach of JBL didn’t save them from producing a buggy, and mediocre performing AVR/AVP.

Not to get this further off topic, but just wanted to agree w/ the above sentiment re: AVR/AVPs.

Would love to see one of these Chinese companies like SMSL, Topping, etc. take a crack at an affordable AVP, or even just an audio processor/dac that can decode 5.1 or 7.1 audio formats.

I have a hulking Arcam AVR600 (retailed for $6000 back in the day), with a broken and unrepairable power amp section, so I hooked up a couple of $80 Aiyima A07 power amps to use as a stopgap, and was astonished to find that the little Aiyimas produced cleaner, punchier and smoother sound than the original built-in power amps.

At that point, I figured that instead of getting a whole new AVR, I would just look for an inexpensive pre/processor that could decode surround audio formats and use the Aiyimas to power the speakers, but was rather astonished to find that no one really makes something like this, at least nothing affordable.

I don't even need something that handles video as most modern TVs have multiple HDMI inputs and and can pass the audio signal through a digital out.

As it is, I'm stuck using this ridiculous 30 lb. monster AVR that takes up a ton of space and runs hotter than hell simply as a processor for 5.1 audio.

Even if it would be a somewhat niche product, I can't believe I'd be the only person interested in something like this.

Wolven

Another problem with the SMSL drivers in Foobar. Topping did not have these issues.

When using ASIO: USB DAC ASIO or Default: Speakers (SMSL USB DAC) (exclusive)

Higher resolution songs than 44.1, 24 bit.
If you click on a song the song starts but either pauses for ms or the cursor on waveform will go back and start over. This happens almost always when clicking on songs.

In shared mode no problem Default: Speakers (SMSL USB DAC) driver works fine.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
No ESS hump.

The (getting older) ES9038Q2M continues to be highly relevant in 2022 and no signs of slowing down.

Wolven

It appears that this C200, doesn't have DAC only mode, unless I'm missing something, too bad.
So, when connecting speakers the volume is controlled with DAC.
I just set the volume to max 99 -6db, so 93, and control volume with Foobar.

Last edited:

SlamTaz

Anyone tried USB 2 mode and successfully downloaded and use with windows os?

Can you provide your thoughts on the process and performance?

Wolven

Anyone tried USB 2 mode and successfully downloaded and use with windows os?

Can you provide your thoughts on the process and performance?
I cannot tell you if I installed it when I installed the driver from SMSL website. It is possible it was already on my system. I get high resolution.

SlamTaz

I cannot tell you if I installed it when I installed the driver from SMSL website. It is possible it was already on my system. I get high resolution.
And you're able to connect the c200 to your pc via usb and get high res?

Merkurio

It appears that this C200, doesn't have DAC only mode, unless I'm missing something, too bad.
So, when connecting speakers the volume is controlled with DAC.
I just set the volume to max 99 -6db, so 93, and control volume with Foobar.

Lo is line output in the screen settings.

Merkurio

Yes, I have it on that setting. But the volume still operates. Am I doing it wrong?

AFAIK, that’s just the pre-amp function, you’re adjusting the DAC output voltage, not the headphone amplifier stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom