• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 57 17.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 258 78.9%

• Total voters

godmax

If you look at this functional diagram, where would you put your external filters?
View attachment 227415
Even this shows the schematic for the ES9038PRO, the ES9038Q2M also supports custom filters already up to 128 coefficients/taps (the ES9038PRO up to 256 coefficients), just need to load it to the registers see page 25 of datasheet.
So the implementers/product designers could already implement custom filters in their products, but I doubt you can design much better filters with the given restrictions as the ones that are available as selectable presets.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The Topping dx3 pro+ and I'm pretty sure the dx5 have this feature. A button on the remote can switch between Headphone only, dac only or dac and Headphone out simultaneously controlled by the volume button.
The Ex5 can do this as well. It's why I bought it for my second desk. So I can toggle between speakers and headphones.
The box looks so fugly in comparison to the DX3Pro+ (which eventually should get updated to match the current DX like of 5 and 7+ I bet).

It's like SMSL isn't even trying to make the design as appealing as the numbers it puts out.
Yea I am not sure I like their new design language.
Relay volume control?
It is digital volume control as @amirm said a few posts above yours.
If you look at this functional diagram, where would you put your external filters?
View attachment 227415
What is it for?

ampguy

Does anyone know if both RCA and TRS balanced can be output simultaneously, and are both controlled by the volume know (not passthrough)? Asking, because on my Denafrips Ares II, it is recommended to only use RCA, or XLR, but not both simultaneously.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The Ex5 can do this as well. It's why I bought it for my second desk. So I can toggle between speakers and headphones.
Thanks, looking it up.
What is it for?
You'll have to ask restorer-john. He said if manufacturers where caring they should use external custom filters instead of the included ones. I was simply pointing out that it's not that simple.

Hxx

So is this now the “new” standard to beat in terms of value ? Seems that $20 is justifiable for internal power supply and 1/4 adapter over the dx3 pro+?
And wow look at that remote that at least looks nice (reminds me of the Amazon fire tv remote) and it’s properly labeled. Someone should let topping know

Wolven

So is this now the “new” standard to beat in terms of value ? Seems that $20 is justifiable for internal power supply and 1/4 adapter over the dx3 pro+?
And wow look at that remote that at least looks nice (reminds me of the Amazon fire tv remote) and it’s properly labeled. Someone should let topping know
and balanced

RandomEar

The remote looks nice and the layout is logical. But the IR sensor is blocked from above, meaning it will not work if the remote is below the receiver level and the distance is low or the angle is odd. It's not a good design at all. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

curly747

Yes this looks great value. It seems to have the same major components as the SMSL DO100 DAC with very similar performance. Only difference in features i can see is the balanced output is TRS in C200 vs XLR for DO100. The DO100 was rated an excellent DAC and great value a few months back. The C200 gives you basically that DAC for the same price but also includes a very decent headphone amp. ... unless i am missing something.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If this was measured using the default filter 1 that's -10db @ 20khz, why doesn't it roll off in the multitone?
I believe that’s because Amir do his multitone test at 192 KHz and the filter we see is for 44.1… The technical reason to do the multitone test at 192 @amirm would have to say but those filters obviously get’s new coefficients as you change the sample rate. It does draw a nicer picture.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yes this looks great value. It seems to have the same major components as the SMSL DO100 DAC with very similar performance. Only difference in features i can see is the balanced output is TRS in C200 vs XLR for DO100. The DO100 was rated an excellent DAC and great value a few months back. The C200 gives you basically that DAC for the same price but also includes a very decent headphone amp. ... unless i am missing something.
It looks mostly like they combined the HO100 and DO100 into this product for almost the same price...

curly747

It looks mostly like they combined the HO100 and DO100 into this product for almost the same price...
Yes. The performance of DO100 / HO100 seems slightly better but very similar. I recently bought the DO100. I think I would have preferred now to have C200 with basically a free headphone amp. I don't really need a headphone amp but it would be nice to have for future.

Wolven

Yes. The performance of DO100 / HO100 seems slightly better but very similar. I recently bought the DO100. I think I would have preferred now to have C200 with basically a free headphone amp. I don't really need a headphone amp but it would be nice to have for future.
I almost bought 420$ Sabaj A20d 2022 version but decided to wait for some reason, the moment I saw C200 I knew this was the one and I pounced on it, cannot wait.

stallion317

Just recived my topping ex5 2 days back.. Should i return it and get smsl c200 for 219$ instead ? Planning to replace my current micca g2 dac with this. my headphones are sennheiser hd 598se planning to get sundara in future.. I also use jbl lsr 305 as my powered speakers.. Will i be able to switch between headphone and speakers without removing/attaching cables? ex5 can do this.. Also Is there any big difference in terms of power and soundquality between ex5 and smsl c200?

Thanks
Regards..
S

Last edited:
Top Bottom