• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

Bel Canto

I am still looking for a desktop DAC /headphone amp /pre, that can mute the line outs when you plug in a headphone, or with a button. Is it still unfeasible in 2022 with tens of iterations of basically the same product?
The Topping dx3 pro+ and I'm pretty sure the dx5 have this feature. A button on the remote can switch between Headphone only, dac only or dac and Headphone out simultaneously controlled by the volume button.

Wolven

Could not help myself and just bought this little guy. I have original Dx3 pro that likes to turn itself off once in a while.
I'm hoping this one will be better.

jasonhanjk

What would be the advantage of a digital volume control? Based on instructions for external DAC/amps to always max the PCM source’s volume before the DAC for allowing the amplifier’s analog to control the volume was standard practice(?)

Where in the chain between input & output would you apply digital volume control that wouldn’t introduce quantatization error?
Better thd+n since the audio signal doesn't need to pass thru the resistor in the amp's volume pot.

Also, amp gain that are more than +20dB are antiques that add more noise.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Starting to become boring all these dacs. I have one, I don,t need a new one every month.
My tip to topping/smsl/other excellent companies, please come with an aforadable roon ready streamer.
Then I am interested again.
I second this or a DAP just to expand their market. It's already know they can make a well engineered DAC/Amp at affordable prices.

It's just that I see no reason for me to upgrade to a new product if I already have bought an older model made from the past couple years.

The new products/ models may have better measurements but still not a reason to ditch an older product.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Can they also be switched out easily with an aftermarket knob, for instance my JDS Labs Atom with a deeper & knurled volume knob (definitely improved ergonomics).....it just slides on:
View attachment 227320
That's the obvious other answer, but it costs *something*. AFAIK they all either push on/pull off of have a small grub screw located underneath so it's not visible in normal use.

rarewolf

Better thd+n since the audio signal doesn't need to pass thru the resistor in the amp's volume pot.

Also, amp gain that are more than +20dB are antiques that add more noise.

Interesting… the next thing you know they’ll put PEQ on the DAC chip…

Brianc

Wonder why the desktop products haven't implemented features like PEQ via a companion app the way a portable product like the Qudelix did (and for barely over $100)?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'd say Filter #3 looks the best to me, as in no major roll off before 20kHz and reasonable attenuation after:

Filter 3 is the perfect one for sure. All the others are pretty much faulty out of the gate.

Honestly, this 'selectable' filter thing is just patent BS. If the product designers actually cared (which they don't) there would be proper, external filters that engaged for each sampling frequency, instead of catch-all f#ck up filters that are not remotely appropriate.

Trell

Major Contributor
Wonder why the desktop products haven't implemented features like PEQ via a companion app the way a portable product like the Qudelix did (and for barely over $100)?
Almost none have any PEQ in the first place and is the reason I voted fine for this DAC/amp, which do measure very well.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Filter 3 is the perfect one for sure. All the others are pretty much faulty out of the gate.

Honestly, this 'selectable' filter thing is just patent BS. If the product designers actually cared (which they don't) there would be proper, external filters that engaged for each sampling frequency, instead of catch-all f#ck up filters that are not remotely appropriate.
Good points about the filters, I agree. I think the product designers do care though, so I don't feel vehemently towards them.

PeteL

Major Contributor

If you look at this functional diagram, where would you put your external filters?
1661784109938.png

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Music1969

Major Contributor
It is at any price point.
As long as it behaves if you are directly connected to power amp/s - and doesn't have a glitch that makes it go to 0dBFS

With my headphones setup, I prefer my SMSL SP400 with resistor ladder volume control. DAC stays at 0dBFS

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The box looks so fugly in comparison to the DX3Pro+ (which eventually should get updated to match the current DX like of 5 and 7+ I bet).

It's like SMSL isn't even trying to make the design as appealing as the numbers it puts out.

Top Bottom