• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like it, nice aesthetics and nice objective measurements, it's performing well!

I'd say Filter #3 looks the best to me, as in no major roll off before 20kHz and reasonable attenuation after:
index.php

50mv performance is not spectacular but it's fine (what's 3dB SNR between friends afterall!):
index.php

I think the spectacular nature of this DAC/amp will come down to how it's priced, it's a balanced DAC/amp so that's a plus with plenty of power, totally transparent, what more do you need!

EDIT: I'll vote in the poll when the price comes in.

EDIT #2: The price has come in, $210 - I'd say that's a very good price considering it's a perfect performer and included a headphone amp along with the DAC, and of course the balanced output too as an additional bonus. I voted in the poll, had to be the best rating!

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I like it, nice aesthetics and nice objective measurements, it's performing well!

I'd say Filter #3 looks the best to me, as in no major roll off before 20kHz and reasonable attenuation after:
index.php

50mv performance is not spectacular but it's fine (what's 3dB SNR between friends afterall!):
index.php

I think the spectacular nature of this DAC/amp will come down to how it's priced, it's a balanced DAC/amp so that's a plus with plenty of power, totally transparent, what more do you need!

EDIT: I'll vote in the poll when the price comes in.
Wha, finally a post that do not talk about a 8 channels DAC or an 20 cores processor to integrate James Webb Telescop communication for listening black hole sound and regrets it's not present in a 250$ product.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wha, finally a post that do not talk about a 8 channels DAC or an 20 cores processor to integrate James Webb Telescop communication for listening black hole sound and regrets it's not present in a 250$ product.
Ha, thanks, I was gonna say "what do you mean", but now after reading other posts in this thread then I think I know what you're getting at! But to be fair to the other people posting in this thread there is a good point that extra features & capability are increasingly attractive & interesting as the SINAD and transparency race in DACS and headphone amps is effectively already won.........which leaves us with price / feature / aesthetic / useability differentials. And I'm not being disparaging towards the SINAD race that's been won by the various participants in the recent hardware audio sphere....I like it & it's right that it's progressed.......it's also normal to expect that there is more to come post the SINAD race, and I look forward to seeing what innovations/offerings can be created by these companies. Regardless, these reviews are valuable, I wouldn't buy audio gear now unless it's been accurately measured by Amir or the few other places where such measurements take place.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's that bad I'd put a small elastic (rubber) band around it to give some grip.
Can they also be switched out easily with an aftermarket knob, for instance my JDS Labs Atom with a deeper & knurled volume knob (definitely improved ergonomics).....it just slides on:
Aluminium Volume.jpg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting this.

Would USB 2.0 pass all the codecs or would it take 3.0?

What about room correction for 9 plus channels?

As far as convenience goes this doesn’t look very convenient compared to an AVR/AVP.

I get the obsolete part, and although I don’t have Atmos in my present AVP it is capable of front wides and height speakers.

Edit;

Dorm room refrigerator size AVR? maybe I missed this model, please post the link. Just kidding.
Dirac will with its vst3 plug in processor correct in excess of 9 plus channels, and usb 2.0 will definitely carry 16 discrete channels of LPCM at, 24/96.

D

Deleted member 50971

Dirac will with its vst3 plug in processor correct in excess of 9 plus channels, and usb 2.0 will definitely carry 16 discrete channels of LPCM at, 24/96.

Thanks for posting this. I doubt I would ever go computer based home theater, but I’d like to understand it.

Music1969

Major Contributor
What would be the advantage of a digital volume control? Based on instructions for external DAC/amps to always max the PCM source’s volume before the DAC for allowing the amplifier’s analog to control the volume was standard practice(?)
I'm not adding D-6 to my SP400 for digital control .

I paid for the resistor ladder analogue vol control for perfect channel balance. Running DAC in fixed output mode

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don't really know. It depends on what the current level is into something like an aeon. This is where I find that most amplifiers lack which is not the THX design.
We actually do know. The measurements are on page 1

Aeons are 13 ohms and this reviewed amp and my SP400 have measurements into 12 ohms

And does it perfectly

audiofun

The headphone power graph indicates it uses the same Amp module as SMSL HO100 (6V max for load >= 16Ohm).

@amirm can you measure the headphone out Frequency Response and see if it has same early cutoff at low frequencies?

Labjr

Major Contributor
This is truly amazing, and a better alternative to topping's DX3Pro+, in the same price bucket.
It not only has better specs, but also has balanced line out.
Also SMSL has a much better DSD implementation than Topping.

Do we know that all SMSL DACs have better DSD implemenatation?

audiofun

Those companies just copy their previous design over and release new product every month/quarter.
The performance is essentially the same within the company products line.
You can go to archimago's review and check it out ---
D10b is same as D90SE.
Sabaj a20d is same as smsl do100.
though D10b / DO100 uses ES9038Q2M and a20d and d90se uses ES9038Pro

I personally tested other Topping's and SMSL's products (DX3Pro+ for instance) and the results match very well with archimago's

Labjr

Major Contributor
Those companies just copy their previous design over and release new product every month/quarter.
The performance is essentially the same within the company products line.
You can go to archimago's review and check it out ---
D10b is same as D90SE.
Sabaj a20d is same as smsl do100.
though D10b / DO100 uses ES9038Q2M and a20d and d90se uses ES9038Pro

I personally tested other Topping's and SMSL's products (DX3Pro+ for instance) and the results match very well with archimago's
Until I saw Archimago's post I always assumed the DSD or PCM performance was mostly dependant on the DAC chip.

JSmith

Master Contributor
maybee it was a joke?
Nah it's just the auto-translate function... there's a few other funny ones during the video if you watch it with that on.
A really good digital volume control implemented.
Unsure if the C200 has this implemented;

index.php

JSmith

stallion317

Just received my topping ex5.. got it because it was on sale. Should I have waited for this one (smsl c200)??? Is there any major difference between the 2???

Thanks
Regards..

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It seems this way.
Just received my topping ex5.. got it because it was on sale. Should I have waited for this one (smsl c200)??? Is there any major difference between the 2???

Thanks
Regards..
Ex5 has MQA if you care. Also has more standard XLR balanced output.

Top Bottom