• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 57 17.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 258 78.9%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What is Aoshida? Another brand?
As noted, they are normally a seller of audio products. In this case however, this model is made exclusively for them and hence the reason I put their name in the review header.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think its wonderful that this dacs seems to be so good , for such a low price. I havent bought one though, because they still have lossy blutooth inputs which is something I dont understand - I would want a good implementation of AirPlay instead.

If such a unit below 150 dollar came out on the market with electrical digital outputs I would buy one. But the digital preamp quality have to be better than a Yamaha wxc50 .
It would be a very neat digital solution with Apple lossless , together with 83xx monitors from Genelec.

Dude just get yourself a second hand Apple TV, form the 2nd generation they support AirPlay and they had optical output, for the past decade they then have HDMI so just get a HDMI> SPDIF extractor/converter and hook it to your existing system.

If you don’t want to be tied to AirPlay, another option is this- what I got:

FiiO BTA 30 Pro

BT in/out- so I can listen to movies at night with headphones, or my spouse can play music via AAC from her phone through my gigantic beer-fridge sized sound system.

Attachments

• 7899D6A6-0A37-4084-B40E-46842D77AB69.jpeg
    7899D6A6-0A37-4084-B40E-46842D77AB69.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Dude just get yourself an Apple TV and HDMI-> SPDIF converter and hook it to your existing system.

This is what I got:

FiiO BTA 30 Pro

BT in/out- so I can listen to movies at night with headphones, or my spouse can play music via AAC from her phone through my gigantic beer-fridge sized sound system.
Thanks for your suggestion.:)

Apple TV does samplerate conversion for everything to 48 kHz , its unacceptable and make the sound worse from Apple lossless ( I have tried it ) . BT is also an inferior protocol thats really not hifi.

I want something that sounds better than my Yamaha wxc50 , that can do airplay with volumeregulation in digital domain and digital outputs . At first I thought the topping M50 would be a good choice, but apparently this streamer dont have a digital volume regulation.

My Yamaha wxc50 can do everything a need, with volume regulation for the electrical digital output, but the sound is not the very best one can get, apparently the sample rate conversion to 48 kHz for the preamp is not sota.

My reference gear is my Mac laptop and a good DDC that can do this in a good way, I want something similar in a smaller, neater case with good sound quality. Maybe there is no such a thing on the market?

Last edited:

tktran303

Forum Donor
Thanks for your suggestion.:)

Apple TV does samplerate conversion for everything to 48 kHz , its unacceptable and make the sound worse from Apple lossless ( I have tried it ) . BT is also an inferior protocol thats really not hifi.

I want something that sounds better than my Yamaha wxc50 , that can do airplay with volumeregulation in digital domain and digital outputs . At first I thought the topping M50 would be a good choice, but apparently this streamer dont have a digital volume regulation.

My reference gear is my Mac laptop and a good DDC that can do this in a good way, I want something similar in a smaller, neater case with good sound quality. Maybe there is no such a thing on the market?

There is. It’s called WISA but it’s not widely adopted yet.

Be congnizant that you maybe having lossy compression anxiety; I can tell you now that Spotify Free on KEF Blade 1 Meta sounds much better than Apple Lossless or FLAC or WAV on KEF LSX…

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Another affordable, excellent unit. Many thanks for the test, @amirm. Off to bed with you!

Palladium

For that price I would blindly buy it and immediately rule out other Topping options I've in mind, plus it would be a big step forward bringing the best performance to even more people, but I think it's unrealistic to expect that yet (unless SMSL wanted to break the market).

For $229 this is a Topping killer, let alone $129.

the_brunx

Would be great if you would take a photo with the top off, so we can make sense of the real version you measured incase the internals are silently changed in future and the measurements can’t be replicated. lately I have seen this happen often with many companies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would be great if you would take a photo with the top off, so we can make sense of the real version you measured incase the internals are silently changed in future and the measurements can’t be replicated. lately I have seen this happen often with many companies.
I need explicit permission to do this kind of thing.

natna

Very tempting new device!

@amirm didn't you measure SINAD for optical and coaxial?
Pitty.

Anyway, since this is an exclusive model for a Far East store, it's gonna be too pricey to get it directly to EU. So I don't think the known French vendor is going to stock it. And Customs are furious nowadays...
And if a malfunction occurs, assuming they have a good after sales and guarantee, all this shipment back n' forth, it's not going to go well, Customswise and timewise.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Looks like they've gotten THX 888 amp performance (like in my SMSL SP400) but without THX fee required

This is something significant

And bad news for THX

holbob

Looks like they've gotten THX 888 amp performance (like in my SMSL SP400) but without THX fee required

This is something significant

And bad news for THX
The amp you speak of is currently HALF PRICE at monoprice UK. Probably the same offer worldwide. £184. What a bargain!

Music1969

Major Contributor
The amp you speak of is currently HALF PRICE at monoprice UK. Probably the same offer worldwide. £184. What a bargain!

That's not the amp I mentioned. Anyway, this C200 achieves THX 888 performance

SMSL SP400 based on THX-AAA-888 (not 887)

Top Bottom