• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

Count Dacula

Usually, the truth is someplace in the middle.

zp7hpu6vj7411.jpg

If you made it this far... (wow the bass is tight all the way to 99)

Not very glamorous...
20230524_125456.jpg

Last edited:

robca

What would be a good power amplifier for the C200, at a relatively low price and with a balanced input? The PA3s on paper it looks like a good match, with a balanced input...

I listen near field, very low volume using 5" speakers. I read that the PA3s, though, can have poor balance left/right at low volume (due to the multi-gang pot used). Currently using a Topping MX3 integrated amplifier, and wondering if I should wait for Amir's MX3s review or move up to separates.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
The recently reviewed Douk Audio H7 speaker amplifier has balanced inputs and separate volume controls for Left and Right channels (ugh) - you may be able to come up with a 'balance' to suit your ears and the price is similar to the Topping PA3s

I would opt for the SMSL C200 and a balanced amplifier over a Topping MX3s for the added protection from ground loop hum

Kane1972

Would this compete as a headphone amp with the JDS Atom or Atom+ or would I be better still using this as a DAC only with the Atom?

tim5

I ordered this product as a replacement for the E30. It will be used as a dac and sound card of my computer connected to the micro Sony cmt-cpx1 for use not with headphones but with speakers. I would like your opinion.(E30 is perfect .Only little bit bright ...The reason who i change it is to connect these, with z906 logiteck system and ps4.)

Last edited:

ryanismo

Do the RCA and TRS outputs work simultaneously? Planning to connect a subwoofer to the RCA and use the TRS for my bookshelf speakers. I don't have a subwoofer yet.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do the RCA and TRS outputs work simultaneously? Planning to connect a subwoofer to the RCA and use the TRS for my bookshelf speakers. I don't have a subwoofer yet.
Good question.

Ale63

Hello everybody. I just bought a C200, which I intend to use for listening in the office. The source is an Iphone (14 pro max) with Qobuz, connected through bluetooth.
It works, but what I always see on the display is "AAC". Is this correct? Shouldn't it be LDAC? Can't see any setting on the SMSL to change this...

potfur

Hello everybody. I just bought a C200, which I intend to use for listening in the office. The source is an Iphone (14 pro max) with Qobuz, connected through bluetooth.
It works, but what I always see on the display is "AAC". Is this correct? Shouldn't it be LDAC? Can't see any setting on the SMSL to change this...
An iPhone won’t use LDAC regardless of what you do on the SMSL; it is the phone that controls the codec and Apple uses AAC instead of LDAC.

Ale63

An iPhone won’t use LDAC regardless of what you do on the SMSL; it is the phone that controls the codec and Apple uses AAC instead of LDAC.

Thank you Potfur. Does it mean that the connection will always be low-res, and there's no way around this...?

potfur

Thank you Potfur. Does it mean that the connection will always be low-res, and there's no way around this...?
You can choose to connect your iPhone to the DAC using a Lightning to USB-C cable. Then you will get better quality than (any) Bluetooth connection, since Bluetooth, even LDAC (see the link below), is lossy. Using a cabled connection, you will be able to listen to hi-res music. The question is whether you will really be able to hear the difference under everyday listening conditions.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think this title is a funny one as smsl has some models ONLY thru shenzen or hifiexpress etc. etc

and so every smsl item will need some kind of flag that shows availability...

about LDAC... its max rate is 990kb/sec

and so with that is not even able to keep up with fully uncompressed redbook... compressed redbook aka flac... *most* of the time

however i think 990 would be ie. a good 75% of the way there?

i dont think anyone is truly expecting uncompressed 24/96 etc. over BT and most people wont care, certainly not the crowed here

unfit327

SMSL has uploaded a firmware update for the C200 to the Support page on their website to address this issue

I feel dumb, but where is the actual firmware? Everything on that link under Dac or Amp says no content?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I feel dumb, but where is the actual firmware? Everything on that link under Dac or Amp says no content?
No reason to feel dumb......

It appears SMSL has pulled the firmware since my posting

I do not know why

t4t3r

Long-time lurker, first time poster

I posed the firmware question to support recently and they responded asking why I wanted it...

I love the sound of the C200. It has just about the perfect combination of elements that I have been shopping (4.4 input, internal power supply, excellent SNR at 50mv as some of my use is with IEMs, etc). I take this to the office with me so the smaller form factor is worth the price increase over dongles.

I understand the sample rate clicking is common, but the SMSL seems to be kind of clunky with it since all of my listening is from lossless streaming from either my iPhone or iPad. I made the driver config fix to address some of the clicking when used on desktop and that now works well. I am also experiencing what seems to be occasional interference from my phone or other wireless devices which I don't experience with my Topping L30 II or a Schiit headphone amp. I think I saw someone mention experiencing something similar early in the thread. Doesn't happen a lot but enough to be pretty annoying and might be a dealbreaker.

unfit327

No reason to feel dumb......

It appears SMSL has pulled the firmware since my posting

I do not know why
Thank you for clarifying. I do have the issue with losing sound after removing heaphones periodically. I would love to not have this issue.

unfit327

Long-time lurker, first time poster

I posed the firmware question to support recently and they responded asking why I wanted it...

I love the sound of the C200. It has just about the perfect combination of elements that I have been shopping (4.4 input, internal power supply, excellent SNR at 50mv as some of my use is with IEMs, etc). I take this to the office with me so the smaller form factor is worth the price increase over dongles.

I understand the sample rate clicking is common, but the SMSL seems to be kind of clunky with it since all of my listening is from lossless streaming from either my iPhone or iPad. I made the driver config fix to address some of the clicking when used on desktop and that now works well. I am also experiencing what seems to be occasional interference from my phone or other wireless devices which I don't experience with my Topping L30 II or a Schiit headphone amp. I think I saw someone mention experiencing something similar early in the thread. Doesn't happen a lot but enough to be pretty annoying and might be a dealbreaker.
There is a fix for the sample rate clicking by editing one of the files from the software for the c200. It works. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...os-driver-settings-for-no-cutoff-delay.25838/

Top Bottom