• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
@crea the 4.4mm port carries the exact same signal as the 6.35mm port. Plugging your 3.5mm headphones into the 4.4mm port via an adapter is useless.
Better to get a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter instead.
61gOuwL-lAL._AC_SS450_.jpg

IAmAgainst

Happy C200 owner here, can anyone suggest me a 4,4mm to 3,5mm adapter?
You don't need one, use a 3,5 to 6,35 mm instead, I bought a "Ugreen" branded one because it was the only one I found on Amazon that didn't have terrible reviews and seems quite solid.
The 4,4 mm output is only a convenience jack for those using a cable with a 4,4 mm plug, internally they both go to the same amp output. Quite useless imo, a 3,5 and 6,35 jack would have made more sense to me.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I'm torn between DX3+ Pro and SMSL C200. What is this talk about it not being "truly balanced"? I've read it in multiple places, but never with an explanation or proof.
C200 has a remote that's more responsive. The Topping on the other hand has auto on and off. Which is handy. C200 seems to run cooler. I'd take the c200, XLR is what seals the deal

Last edited:

crea

You don't need one, use a 3,5 to 6,35 mm instead, I bought a "Ugreen" branded one because it was the only one I found on Amazon that didn't have terrible reviews and seems quite solid.
The 4,4 mm output is only a convenience jack for those using a cable with a 4,4 mm plug, internally they both go to the same amp output. Quite useless imo, a 3,5 and 6,35 jack would have made more sense to me.
you are right i got one. thanks :)

guisess93

hey guys, this C200 for £175 (from Amazon UK or SH-8s for ~ £125 from Drop? Thanks in advance

Yogevs

If I want balanced output for my studio monitors, and don't use extremely inefficient headphones, is there any reason to buy DAC/Amp which is not the C200?

guisess93

Fiio K7 for £189 is better imho. Unless you need bluetooth.​

Thanks for the input. Actually when I think about it, Bluetooth is quite convenient as I can occasionally use my phone as source. Now I have 1 more option to decide

Daykatoma

Which one has more power ? DX3 Pro+ or C200 ? On the paper they are almost the same.

Because I drive my k712pro's almost at full volume with low gain -- c200. Is high gain introduce bigger output impedance, distortion ? People always avoid high gain in their amps/dacs, thats why i am asking.

Sound is much much better than dx3pro tho. There is bass at least.

xnor

Which one has more power ? DX3 Pro+ or C200 ? On the paper they are almost the same.

Because I drive my k712pro's almost at full volume with low gain -- c200. Is high gain introduce bigger output impedance, distortion ? People always avoid high gain in their amps/dacs, thats why i am asking.

Sound is much much better than dx3pro tho. There is bass at least.

Lack of volume has typically nothing to do with power but with voltage and therefore gain.
"High gain" is relative. Too high gain is typically not wanted because it reduces the usable volume control range.
You should not avoid it just because it is labeled "high". If you need high gain then choose high gain.
Arguments about tiny changes in output impedance, noise, distortion but also increased op-amp stability etc. are all theoretically correct but completely irrelevant in practice.

Btw, check the spreadsheet in my signature to calculate safe listening levels, required voltage, gain and volume control setting.

Last edited:

Tod

SMSL C200 has auto on and off ?
How can you turn it on and off?
If you hold down the function button on the remote, it turns off the display so that it only shows when you change volume, etc. I think I read that it uses very little power in standby mode, so I leave mine on with the display off.

Daykatoma

In high gain, whenever a content starts to play or stop I get 2 click noises (crackle like) in my headphone. For example a video on Twitter, starting stopping a movie .. It is like, click-click. Everytime the rythm-pattern and the sound is the same.

Low Gain has no issue. Tried different cables, different usb port, different HPs. Same. Tick-tick. Like it switches to something, and when the sound stops, it switches back. What could it be ? Should I be worried ?

bede

My C200 has arrived after much deliberation and poring over these excellent reviews. Thanks!

I'm wondering whether I can connect the C200 through a Thunderbolt hub to my macbook without introducing major issues. This would mean the DAC sharing the 40Gbps TB4 connection with a 18Gbps 4k60 stream. So plenty of headroom on paper, but I probably won't buy the hub if it will cause issues with this DAC.

What are peoples' experiences with Thunderbolt and USB hubs using this DAC (particularly under MacOS)?

Top Bottom