• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But the hot and cold cycles would likely not be good long term. Just like with PCs and computers, it’s best to put it into sleep mode vs shutting it on and off every time. I haven’t turned any of my computers off for over the past 20 years.
I've been turning on and off my computer on a daily basis (sometimes multiple times a day) since the eighties. Never had a single issue with one of my systems.

Joffy1780

I'm contemplating sending the C-200 back. The audio just randomly stopping is getting very annoying. I'd say about 50% of the time I walk up to the C-200 it just stops playing music. And then I have to power off the unit and "sometimes" it will auto connect with my phone. The other times, I have to turn the C-200 on and off about 80-90 times before it will even manually connect. Look at all the wear and tear on the capacitor. I just spent 15 minutes trying to get it to re-connect and finally about the 10852th time of turning the C-200 on and off over and over again, Im starting to think that this C-200 is a total POS. You get what you pay for. I will be looking for a device where I don't have to deal with issues like this.

Maybe go with Fiio, they will have better quality control. I will start researching again what DACs are better for quality. I will pay more to not have to deal with BS issues like this. It takes all the fun out of owning the device.

I mean good chance this unit craps out anyways, so why bother. May as well get my money back. Maybe I get another Topping DX3 Pro+.
Are you describing dropouts whilst using Bluetooth? If so, have you tried adjusting your phone's Bluetooth settings to see if you can stabilise the connection?

Palladium

Never had any dropouts on BT LDAC 990kbps or USB-to-PC with my C200.

I'm more upset that it doesn't have auto power standby on/off like my Topping E50, and I had to mod the XMOS driver by Windows registry to disable the soft standby causing the annoying startup lag on every playback.

TheShield

Are you describing dropouts whilst using Bluetooth? If so, have you tried adjusting your phone's Bluetooth settings to see if you can stabilise the connection?

Yes the drop outs are when using bluetooth. What setting are you referring to?

These are my current bluetooth settings on my phone.

Bluetooth AVRCP version: 1.5 (default) but I notice 1.6 available.
Audio codec: LDAC
Audio sample rate: 44.1khz
Bluetooth audio bits per sample: 16
Bluetooth audio channel: Stereo
Bluetooth audio LDAC code: Playback quality

Last edited:

TheShield

Never had any dropouts on BT LDAC 990kbps or USB-to-PC with my C200.

I'm more upset that it doesn't have auto power standby on/off like my Topping E50, and I had to mod the XMOS driver by Windows registry to disable the soft standby causing the annoying startup lag on every playback.

Unfortunately I'm not using this on my PC. I use the Apple dongle DAC on my desktop and laptop and can't beat those for $9 a piece. To be honest, seeing how unstable this C-200 is when used wirelessly through bluetooth, I'd be terrified using it on the PC.

TheShield

Does any of you get the 3 horizontal lines on the screen when you power on your unit? Not sure why it does this but this prevents it from auto connecting to your device through bluetooth and then I have the constantly power on and off the C200 until I don't get the lines, then it will auto connect to my phone. otherwise, if you get the lines then it doesn't even connect manually. So stupid.

Also I got my remote. It was fast shipped from China. Not sure whats the point in having two sets of volume controls on one remote lol.

Viper Necklampy

Which DPLL setting (1-9) comes default with SMSL C200? And, which performs Better with a TV? Also with a TV Is Better UAC 2.0 Right?

DeDovla

Which DPLL setting (1-9) comes default with SMSL C200? And, which performs Better with a TV? Also with a TV Is Better UAC 2.0 Right?
Default DPLL out of the box is 4. You should always aim for the lowest value which doesn't showcase any playback issues (1 is the best, but may cause issues for some TVs). However some TVs have issues even with the default setting of 4 (or ideal setting of 1), so go to up to the number that doesn't showcase any issues (even up to the maximum 9 if needed).

For example let's say 4 doesn't work as expected but 6 does, you should stay at 6 and not bother going all the way up to 9.

As I'm not using my C200 with a TV, I don't know if UAC 2.0 is better than 1.1 - if we're speaking about compatibility USB 1.1 is most compatible with devices (there are some limitations in regards to formats that can be played - 24bit/96kHz is the maximum on USB 1.1), however I don't think the DPLL setting affects USB connection but rather only coax (and optical as well I think). In the same way I don't think UAC 2.0 will affect coax and optical. Play around with the settings and see what works, I doubt something will break.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
UAC 2.0 only affects the USB input while a TV is usually connected via Toslink.

There is not one correct DPLL setting.
Use the lowest DPLL value that still gives you stutter-free playback.
If you get stutter, then increase the DPLL by one.

MrOtto

Are you using RCA output for a powered subwoofer, with power amp connected to TRS?

TheShield

It's very tempting to buy a second C-200 just to have at my desk. Not run it through the PC but just so I can listen to music at the desk. But SMSL is a very new brand to me and I need to see the long term reliability of this device first. Or I can just buy a 25ft headphone extension and operate using the remote.

Top Bottom