• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aoshida SMSL AO200 users thread

Graham849

Forum Donor
I am interested in how other users are finding their amp over months of use.

I am very pleased with mine. It is powered on 24/7 and normally plays with content via XLR from DAC.

Sometimes I listen to CD's thru unbalanced connection, and rarely Bluetooth.

I use both sub outs into a nobsound G2 amp.

It is usually played between 12 and 24 output level. I used SDB tone for a while but now just use direct.

Anyone else with comments, insights, hacks etc?

Selkirks

I've been enjoying the AO200 for months. Good value and no problems to report. It's being used as a spare integrated amp for when I need more power than my SMSL VMV A1. I recently bought a Topping PA3s, which subjectively sounds better than the AO200 to my ears/brain but it lacks features and EQ. With recent experiences Topping gear is too unreliable regardless of sound quality.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I got mine about 6 months ago. No problems. No complaints. Good feature set. Plenty of power for my aging Ohm MicroWalsh Talls (2004) which I've been using for the past several months. Also in the mix: Bluesound Node, SMSL DO100, Omega DeepHemp 8 Subwoofer. Sounds great with music and video. I have little desire to swap it out.

Charger

6 months of use here and no problems. Desktop use, with a topping d10 balanced DAC and Elac uni-fi ub52 speakers.

Sounds great.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
6 months of use here and no problems. Desktop use, with a topping d10 balanced DAC and Elac uni-fi ub52 speakers.

Sounds great.

I under the AO200 has subouts but does it do bass management such as setting crossover to 80 Hz or its fixed at 200 Hz? If not, do they have a model with similar output that can offer crossover settings?

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I under the AO200 has subouts but does it do bass management such as setting crossover to 80 Hz or its fixed at 200 Hz? If not, do they have a model with similar output that can offer crossover settings?
It's fixed at 200. I'm clueless on your 2nd question.

seyeR Funnnnn

Hey all, was hoping to get some advice here.

I just put in an order to add a subwoofer (RSL Speedwoofer 10S MKII) into my current stack which is the DO200 MKII, HO200 & AO200 powering Elac UB52 speakers. I'm just curious about the best way to set that up. After doing some research, it seems I can just use the Subwoofer out L/R connections on the back of the AO200 and connect those direct to the sub OR, connect my speakers to the high level speaker connectors on the sub, and then hook up my sub up to the AO200. (I assume via the subout connections)

Is there one recommended way over the other?

With regards to crossover settings. I see the recommendation is to start at 10hz over my crossover frequency of my speakers (200hz), though I typically see that in its off state, it's at 80hz. Is there something I am not understanding here? Seems kind of a large curve.

Thanks.

--
To answer the ops original question, I've had my setup for about a year and a half now and have loved every minute of it. The UB52 speakers are a Godsend and listening to stuff like Pendulum - Driver, really shows how far they can go. The sound is loud yet not distorted and it's been a pleasure.

Top Bottom