• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, another post I found indicated they are running them in triode at low voltage. The filaments are also running on 5 volts presumably for longer life. Apparently the audio signal goes thru them, but don't perform any amplification. So there just as a tube sound purpose.

In the past I've had NOS tubes JAN that were that messy on the script. If I recall, early GE's were white, RCA's were usually black or red and green was later GE or Sylvania. I first used JAN's in my old Conrad-Johnson PV5 preamp. So it has been awhile.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i dont think infineon have any way to insert a tube into their pwm stage...

i mean i'm not opposed to stuff like this... i know its stupid but i would probably purchase a tube stage preamp to control the digital amps i have

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Its interesting for that price. Wish Amir would measure it.

At least i could say it has usa tubes certified for airborne army use. Imagine this! ;)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There's a very (!) difficult to substantiate report that RCA demonstrated long ago that running indirect-heated cathode tubes at lower than spec'd heater voltage drastically decreases the tubes' lifespan.

I've only managed to trace this back to a post at DIY audio -- I'd love to find the original resource. I wouldn't at all be surprised that it were in an RCA technical document... but I haven't managed to find it, or attributable documentation of the study, yet. :(

That said, here's the DIY Audio reference and the data presented therein. :)
Take it for what it's worth.

and, in particular: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.211731/post-3012333
We'll note that the post author is listed as banned. :rolleyes: -- so... who knows? ;)
heater-voltage-affecting-valve-life-gif.280638

Note that the y-axis is logarithmic -- i.e., the drop-off in tube ban (per this graph of fundamentally unknown provenance) is really steeply correlated to reduced filament voltage!

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
.Meanwhile I got to test the headphone output.
When headphones are plugged in, the power output to the passive speakers is muted.
In terms of volume, I managed to make my Hifiman Sundara play at uncomfortable levels that I wouldn't want to keep them at. It is difficult to make a qualitative comparison because I normally use them with hidisz ap80pro with balanced output and with 10-band equalization calibrated on the sundara, so inevitably the sound is different from what I am used to. But power doesn't seem to be a problem, and that's a good point in itself..
IMG_20230320_171139.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a very (!) difficult to substantiate report that RCA demonstrated long ago that running indirect-heated cathode tubes at lower than spec'd heater voltage drastically decreases the tubes' lifespan.

I've only managed to trace this back to a post at DIY audio -- I'd love to find the original resource. I wouldn't at all be surprised that it were in an RCA technical document... but I haven't managed to find it, or attributable documentation of the study, yet. :(

That said, here's the DIY Audio reference and the data presented therein. :)
Take it for what it's worth.

and, in particular: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.211731/post-3012333
We'll note that the post author is listed as banned. :rolleyes: -- so... who knows? ;)
heater-voltage-affecting-valve-life-gif.280638

Note that the y-axis is logarithmic -- i.e., the drop-off in tube ban (per this graph of fundamentally unknown provenance) is really steeply correlated to reduced filament voltage!
But the emission is much lower at 5V, so you get that nice grungy tube sound.

Top Bottom