• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anything left to improve in my signal chain?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guys,

I ... I think ... I've reached "the end" of hifi.

Well of course I'm thinking this 3 times a years and still discover some heavy misunderstandings on my part or just plain bad settings in my configuration. Some people might now the delirious threads I posted - please don't look them up :).
Attached is my current final FR that comes out of my speakers. Please check my prefencerens and my chain before making suggestions and assumptions.

Here goes:
I am running my system mostly through my Windows PC which is wired to the living room tv. My speakers are also there and I am listening on the couch about 3 meters away. My goal was a loudness curve that is adaptive to the volume, achieved by EAPO. I believe my goal was achieved and can't be really improved further, but this is why I am asking you for your opinions. I couldn't come up with a great why to write this down without making a lot of fuss, so please don't be angry for the following lazy markup.

Windows 10 -> EAPO -> REW WAV FIR 20-400Hz for L and R respectively* -> Loudness Curve Plugin -> gain reduction to avoid CAudioLimiter -> Windows Sound Driver @ 32 Bit/44,1 Khz -> SMSL SU-9N -> Brickwall rolloff filter -> max volume 99 (adjusted through Windows later) -> XLR Purifi ET400 monoblocks with minimum gain (no op amp)-> 4mm² copper cable, strands kept close together -> Nakamichi plugs -> Nubert NuVero 170 -> 20m² room with thick courtains, couch and acoustic pictures on the wall, RT60 of 0,25s

*the filter was calculated on the raw measurement without smoothing to get the most accuracy

Things I am currently thinking about.
1. I have a peak at about 400 Hz, exactly where I set my limit for REW to set filters. Should I go beyond that to fix the hump or does REW get unreliable already at that frequency? My calibation was made with a Sonarwork Mic with cal file, 4 single measurements, then averaged.
2. My speakers have a slight loudness curve and diffuse field equalization by design which makes them sound a little bright on axis but I am aware of this and I even like it.
3. I know the chain could be bit perfect if I used exclusive mode but this would require external FIR to fix my bass and I don't want another converting device.

I am happy to hear your opinions and suggestions :)

Edit: ASR doesn't like UTF8 arrows, so I used ->
Edit2: Oh boy, I forgot my room.

Attachments

• Editor_ImJJIRxvgd.png
    Editor_ImJJIRxvgd.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 39
  • My FR - コピー.jpg
    My FR - コピー.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Top Bottom