• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anything better then a Mac mini?

caught gesture

Forum Donor
His problem is not knowing if there is something that might improve his set up. He might not have any idea about how his set up might be improved and is looking for suggestions covering all the bases. This is fine, why should he have to come up with a specific problem that needs to be solved?

And what do you mean by "works"? A speaker you hate might "work", but for you it just doesn't sound very good! Or do you take "work" to mean "sounds so great I don't need to upgrade"? If so, that makes your statement an oxymoron.
He’s not asking about upgrading speakers. He’s asking about an upgrade in the digital realm, hence the question as to what he thinks needs to be upgraded, especially if the OP thinks that it will make a difference to audio quality. Further, a specific problem is extremely helpful when trying to give advice for a solution.
To the OP, I’m still using my twelve year old MacBook as a source. There are limits (max 96kHz output. As if I care! ABX testing soon brought me down to earth as to the limits of my hearing). I’d advise that unless what you are using is broken, or that you need improved features/connectivity, using what you have (that works!) is best. There are usually changes that can be made in the listening space and/or with EQ that will give far greater improvements and satisfaction.

OP
G

gianventu

Thanks everybody for replying. From what you wrote, I can understand you consider the mini still one of the best solution to stream to the dac. I opened the 3d because I havn’t followed for a long time what and if the market was proposing something interesting.
Regarding the way of use, my system satisfy me completely, using the app of Jriver, I can easily access to all the music stored on my nas and address to all the dlna (iEast) I have at home.
As soon as the Wiim pro will be available in my country, I think I’ll buy it to have access to the streaming services in the future and, being Linkplay powered, it should work with the iEast that I already owns.

OP
G

gianventu

via the minidsp flex bluetooth
For what you know, do you think that it could be also useful to use withe the Dirac Live Bass Control Desktop for Pc/Mac that should be relesed soon? It is not clear to me if it needs a multi channel dac to work.

sibi1865

I have copies of my music files stored on an M1 Mac, and have been thinking of setting up a standalone desktop system. Other than for JRiver, what other software options (preferably free :) ) would people recommend for organising and playing the files, outputting via USB into a DAC?
Thanks!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These prices are going to destroy NUCs.

1673977079115.png

Volumetrik

I'm very interested to know if they lifted the 24/48 bit stream limit on HDMI output with the new HDMI 2.1 on the M2 Pro. If they lift that and stop down converting Dolby Vision and HLG to HDR10 for external displays, it will become a very interesting little HTPC machine.

Overly powerful for its job, but I dream about a 7.1.4 Atmos setup with FIR DRC filters with 65k taps on every speaker while playing Dolby Vision content. Playing through a computer is the only way to compensate for the audio delay introduced with FIR filters, from what I've seen.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Look at some AMD offerings at Minisforum. You can get similar performance with more RAM and storage at similar pricing. Plus you can upgrade those in the future.

Beelink on Amazon (or Ali) has a bunch of options as well for high pre-built bang for the buck.

These are all ridiculously over-specced and costly just to be the middle-man in a simple streaming setup like the OP is asking for. But if you already have it, you already have it.

jmillar

Don’have a real problem, just wanted to know, according to you, if there is a better streaming option then using the mac mini to improve sound quality, compatible with Dirac.
Your streaming option is perfectly fine, it's very flexible and using a familiar platform makes things quick and easy.
Of course many people explore and experiment different pathways as part of the fun...but in the digital domain NO streamer is more "musical" (/s) or has better SQ. It's all done by "computers" (digital devices) in any case.
The best way of fighting "fomo" is to research and inquire in ASR. :)

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
As far as I remember, the Mac Mini Late 2012 is the last one where you can upgrade the memory and insert an additional SSD, which is not possible with the newer ones, which is a major limitation of Apple.
I replaced the HDD with a new SSD on my Mini Late 2012 and it is practically silent, I have never heard the fan running and I use it to listen to music.

Volumetrik

As far as I remember, the Mac Mini Late 2012 is the last one where you can upgrade the memory and insert an additional SSD, which is not possible with the newer ones, which is a major limitation of Apple.
I replaced the HDD with a new SSD on my Mini Late 2012 and it is practically silent, I have never heard the fan running and I use it to listen to music.
Small correction here,

2012: you can replace both SSD & RAM.
2014: you can replace SSD with a special adapter, RAM soldered.
2018: you can replace the RAM, SSD is soldered.
2020: (M1+) you can't replace anything (RAM is a part of the SoC, SSD soldered).

Reactions: Zek
Top Bottom