• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anything better than Genelec?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I just sent Amir the Genelec 8050b so we should get some insightful measures by March. Its controlled dispersion with regards to horizontal directivity is known to be among the best ever.
Wow, thanks I've been waiting for this for a long time

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Jep, just perfect as the 8050s were my first active speakers...
I wish Genelec would release a 8050C with better and more powerful amps like they did with the rest of the models (except 8040B)

dfuller

Major Contributor
What are the tweeters like on Genelecs?
I find soft dome tweeters a bit... well, soft...
I.e. not as transient, like a bit of fabric is covering the tweeter or something.
And I find ribbon tweeter like the Adams, to be transient, but have this like, artificial sounding high end (for lack of a better explanation).

These are just my interpretations, not sure if anyone can relate...
But for anyone that does relate, how do you find the Genelecs?
Genelec usually uses metal domes.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A well implemented driver in a loudspeaker shouldn't introduce its own characteristic material sound (for example due to underdamped break up modes) and in this case we rather hear the tonal voicing of the frequency response and directivity.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the tweeters like on Genelecs?
I find soft dome tweeters a bit... well, soft...
I.e. not as transient, like a bit of fabric is covering the tweeter or something.
And I find ribbon tweeter like the Adams, to be transient, but have this like, artificial sounding high end (for lack of a better explanation).

These are just my interpretations, not sure if anyone can relate...
But for anyone that does relate, how do you find the Genelecs?

I'm no good at characterizing the subtleties of different tweeter materials or types, but to my ears, the 8351bs produce the most natural sounding treble I've heard. I don't own any ribbon tweeters, but I definitely prefer my Genelec's treble over the treble in my Emotiva T2+, which uses an AMT. But yeah, as far as materials go, I don't even know what the tweeters in any of my own speakers are made of :D.

I've thought about buying @Dennis Murphy 's BMR many times, but never pulled the trigger. His future towers also interest me as one of the cheapest *almost full range 2.0 systems you can build.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm no good at characterizing the subtleties of different tweeter materials or types, but to my ears, the 8351bs produce the most natural sounding treble I've heard. I don't own any ribbon tweeters, but I definitely prefer my Genelec's treble over the treble in my Emotiva T2+, which uses an AMT. But yeah, as far as materials go, I don't even know what the tweeters in any of my own speakers are made of :D.

I've thought about buying @Dennis Murphy 's BMR many times, but never pulled the trigger. His future towers also interest me as one of the cheapest *almost full range 2.0 systems you can build.
What other speakers do you own?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I know but what do they sound like?
They sound like Genelecs. Good, linear, low distortion designs. The 8XX0 line in my experience is slightly flattering sounding, so nice for home listening.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They sound like Genelecs. Good, linear, low distortion designs. The 8XX0 line in my experience is slightly flattering sounding, so nice for home listening.
I think people are confusing clarify with "flattering"
I'm still not sure what "flattering" sound actually is in this context

YSC

Major Contributor
How do you know that the Kii Three, D&D 8C, and RTM10 sound better than, say, an 8351B or 8361A? Have you or others done direct comparisons in the same room?
I mean better by at least they provide full range sound where 8361 dont’t, fr wise they should be essentially the same. Don’t get me wrong I am a genelec fan and owning a pair of 8030C which I don’t ever wanted to further upgrade except maybe find a sub

dfuller

Major Contributor
Figure "forgiving of perhaps less than amazing sounding recordings" as a synonym. Not a lack of clarity, but rather a lack of "this is sticking out as wrong". Some speakers are similarly accurate but will slap you in the face, so to speak, when something sounds off. Barefoots IME are sort of the king of the dope slap.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always assumed it means rolled off top end similar to the Harman curve, but my understanding is that Genelec is flat and "unflattering" pardon the pun, as it's designed for accuracy but you could always tune its FR via software.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I've always assumed it means rolled off top end similar to the Harman curve, but my understanding is that Genelec is flat and "unflattering" pardon the pun, as it's designed for accuracy but you could always tune its FR via software.
That's why i don't get that whole flattering sound thing.
They sound extremely clear, more so a lot of people feel they're too brutal and bright sounding.

EPC

Does the GLM mic come with a calibrated file similar to Sonarworks, or is the mic perfectly flat out of the box?

YSC

Major Contributor
Does the GLM mic come with a calibrated file similar to Sonarworks, or is the mic perfectly flat out of the box?
I think it's calibrated, and most important aspect of GLM is it's easy integrated and fool proof way of calibrating your speakers

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I mean better by at least they provide full range sound where 8361 dont’t, fr wise they should be essentially the same. Don’t get me wrong I am a genelec fan and owning a pair of 8030C which I don’t ever wanted to further upgrade except maybe find a sub
Yeah that's the only thing bothering me about Genelec too unfortunately

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I mean better by at least they provide full range sound where 8361 dont’t, fr wise they should be essentially the same.
To me, it's a quite smart move, as all of these speakers (Kii Three, D&D 8c, 8351/8361) will have obvious troubles playing loud at 20 Hz, which is a job to be left to subwoofers. So, tuning it to get more output is better than fighting pointlessly against the laws of physics, in my opinion.

Top Bottom