• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anything better than Genelec?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
My dream system :cool:
Screenshot_20210501-001008.jpg

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Unfortunately for HEDD and PSI, these horizontal and vertical polar measurements do not look nearly as good as Genelec or Neumann. Even the on-axis frequency response is pretty terrible at least compared to the ruler-flatness we’ve come to expect now from Genelec, Neumann, and others.

morespinach

That’s strange you say that because I’ve listened to my Genelec 8351B in a medium/large room with dual 18” subwoofers to relieve them of any bass strain, and I find them some of the most “dynamic” speakers I’ve heard in this role for movies etc. I’ve heard in this same room JBL SRX835P’s which are capable of pushing 135db at least on paper, and did not find the Genelec’s insufficiently dynamic at all. I much preferred the Genelec’s, even for movies as well as loud music. I do like to listen loud sometimes, but maybe other people listen way way louder than I do? I’ve pushed 115db overall (mostly from a bass weighted tuning), but anything beyond that my ears do not tolerate.

Which subwoofers do you use with 8351B?

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4gwlOhQ.jpg

Custom tops made by a local company here. FaitalPRO HF1440 in an18sound XR1464C horn 1st order crossed at 1kHz to 4xScanSpeak 15WU's. Everything's powered by FA253 plates. Changed the ADI-2 Pro to a Pi2AES streamer and now I'm using the AES/EBU connections.
Nice room. Do you have any measurements for your speaker, to compare with KH310?

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which subwoofers do you use with 8351B?
When I did the testing you quoted, I used dual Rythmik F18’s because I was comparing the Genelec’s to Revel Salon2’s (otherwise it would be unfair to Genelec because the Salon2’s have bass power comparable to dual 12” subs) but right now I just use the Genelec’s for a home office music and video games setup, so I use the Genelec 7360.

Genelec’s subwoofers are not remotely competitive with what you can get from JTR, Rythmik, HSU, SVS and others, in terms of power capability, or even power per size (not sure about total distortion though). What I like about them for a home office environment is the simplicity enabled by built in DSP and integration with GLM software, and the physical durability of the subwoofer itself where the driver is protected by a fixed metal grill. In contrast, most home audio subwoofers are relatively delicate.

Last edited:

Hrodulf

Do you have any measurements for your speaker, to compare with KH310?
What do you want to know? It's a DSP speaker, so AFR is pretty much what you want it to be. I was present when the acoustician used SMAART to adapt both speakers to the room, so I know it was flat enough.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which brand and/or any specific speaker / monitor model is better than Genelec and especially the Ones?

Depends on your defnition with better. The Ino Audio would certainly be a contender.
1621109521439.jpeg

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you want to know? It's a DSP speaker, so AFR is pretty much what you want it to be. I was present when the acoustician used SMAART to adapt both speakers to the room, so I know it was flat enough.
On and off axis FR, polar plots.
I suspect exotic speakers to have strange directiivity

Hrodulf

I suspect exotic speakers to have strange directiivity
I don't think there's anything exotic going on. The directivity above 1Khz will be dictated by the horn -

1621153793155.png

I don't have the possibility to do real polars for the woofers, but I wouldn't fret about them. I've seen those guys design speakers and they do real-time off-axis AFR/phase measurements for all of them. And when I plug one ear and move sideways, I don't detect any irregularities. Sideways the amplitude drops, as expected.

morespinach

Measurement aside, do Genelecs have a "refined" quality to them that allows long hours of listening in the way that Dynaudio does, for example?

YSC

Major Contributor
Measurement aside, do Genelecs have a "refined" quality to them that allows long hours of listening in the way that Dynaudio does, for example?
I don't know about your definition of the refined quality... personally I have no issue listening to them for 3 hrs continuously

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Some people find them bright but i think it's only because people are used to less detailed monitors

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people find them bright but i think it's only because people are used to less detailed monitors

And with GLM you can change the high frequency roll off so this is a non issue.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not having peaks, nulls, or diffraction seems to contribute to this, and Genelec has mentioned how listening fatigue is reduced with these things and how their coaxial drivers and cabinets are optimized for the least amount of diffraction possible... Just looking at other speakers, most don't pay attention to cabinet design and thus diffraction as much as Genelec.

Sprint

Forum Donor
No they do not. That is exactly what is missing.
Sorry I do not agree unfortunately. I have a Genelec 5.2 setup and I listen to them the whole day at different volumes without getting tired and so do the different sound engineers/music producers around the world who work all day long. That being said, my room is not professionally treated except for couch and some curtains that takes away some reflections.

Martijn W

Yes I am aware that this is not a problem to all people. However, it is a problem to many people I know.
But if loudspeakers hurt people's ears, something is wrong imo. Natural sounds never fatique me the way some loudspeakers, including Genelecs, do..

FWIW a good friend of mine has a professional studio, build from the ground up. In this studio he has Genelec 8341's with 7360 sub and he has Geithain 944K with 11k subs.

He likes the Genelecs. Actually he is only positive about them. But he has them set up with his DJ gear. And he has his Geithains set-up at his consule as his pirmary monitors. Geithains are clearly the better monitors in about every regard, in his opinion... and in mine.. (I have the same Geithains only with single sub).

So is there anything better? I would say that is very subjective, but, for many people the answer is definitely yes.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had some MEGs here the 944k they were definitely more rolled off at the top than my other monitors, some like that and it is easy to replicate with contemporary designs.
I should add that the Gen 8351Bs we had here recently ‘out of the box’ have a flatter in room target curve which perceptually can sound a little thin, again easily corrected.
Keith

Top Bottom