• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anything better than Genelec?

steve59

Major Contributor
These questions do seem silly to me. I always liked pontiac over chevy, I would rather have the 71 plymouth 'cuda over the challenger. Why would choosing hifi be any different unless it's from a purely 'appliance' perspective?

ferrellms

As far as I understand, there isn't really any research showing that phase linearity is particularly audible, let alone important. see: various statements.

There are no phase measurements of the 8351B available that I know of, and the 8351A is a different speaker.

That said, here are phase measurements of the 8351A, 8361A(same tweeter/mid/amplifier as the 8351B, only the woofer is changed), and KH420. It does not seem to me that the 8361A/8351B do poorly on this measurement, regardless of its importance.

E: Additionally, IMD of the 8350 (vs 8361A) seems far worse in the midrange, as expected from a 2-way, and certainly I would be worried about that long before I look at phase.
For what it is worth, my room correction software (I have Genelec 8040s) allows you 3 levels of phase linearity (Sonarworks) "linear" which adds 50 ms of delay but linear phase; "optimum" which offers close to linear phase and 10 ms delay; and 0 latency which does not attempt to affect phase response and is best for adding new tracks by live recording. I cannot hear a difference. I put it on "optimum" to get some of the "benefits" without messing up tracking or when using the room correction with video so dialogue on the screen and soundtrack are synched. Perhaps I have bad ears, but I will say that in my acoustically treated room in the prime listening location, I am enveloped in the best sound I have ever heard, very similar to the sound of high end headphones, filling the space between and around the speakers completely.

Last edited:

Bartic

I used to have 8050a's which were terrific speakers for the 2000EUR I paid for them. Even helped out by a sub and room-corrected by Sonarworks Reference 3, they seemed to lose some mid detail on higher SPL's and sometimes I found highs to be fatiguing. It was hard for me to pinpoint the reasons for my gripes via measurements, but they were consistent. Sold the Gennies and got KH310's for like 2600EUR/pair. No complaints about the mids and highs whatsoever. Do to offset tweeter/mid array, the soundstage appeared to improve as well. KH310 + a well integrated sub is certainly an endgame setup for many.

But not for me. No rest for the wicked... By the way - I was at a 8351b listening session at a local studio supply store and they didn't impress me one bit. Low end is in line with what an 8" monitor can do, everything else was more or less the same as with the KH310 I used to own. The GLM app was pretty nifty, tho.
I have a chance to grab a pair of Genelec 8050b for 2500e, and the KH310s for 4000e a pair. Are the differences between them worth 1500e?

I am currently using 8040bpm with sonarworks. They also get harsh sometimes, mostly when I turn them up to hear the bass better.
I figure the 8050b will be more balanced since it has a lot more low end, making the upper midrange/higher frequencies seem less harsh.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a chance to grab a pair of Genelec 8050b for 2500e, and the KH310s for 4000e a pair. Are the differences between them worth 1500e?
A 3-way beats a 2-way with lower IMD in the mids. You could prevent this by adding a sub to the 8050b, this reduces woofer extension and hence IMD. So for approximately the same amount of money I think 8050b + sub should sound better than KH310 alone due to its extended bass.

Top Bottom