• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anything better than Audient ID14 MKII but less than $1000?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I mainly use my Neumann TLM 103 mic for the Input .
That's it? You don't need anything remotely close to $1000 to do a decent job with a condenser like that in a studio setting. Required preamp gain is going to be fairly modest, at least +9 dBu of maximum input level as found even on lower midrange CS4272 interfaces nowadays should cover up to 133 dB SPL peak, and if you're not totally averse to setting input level you should find their 110+ dB(A) of input dynamic range to be ample as well. (I once did the math for a spoken word application, required dynamic range for that was well under 90 dB even when being generous. Expect similar for an acoustic guitar, and realistically you're not going to record both yourself singing at the top of your lungs and the birds chirping outside at the same time either. That's the kind of extreme scenario you'd need to justify ~130 dB(A) studio-grade inputs - the upside being that you can set the level once and forget about it, which may be handy in a concert hall installation but is hardly required in a home studio. Finding a mic preamp that'll even pass that sort of dynamic range is no trivial matter.)
So you could be buying a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 gen3, Arturia Minifuse 2 or Universal Audio Volt 2 or 276 and be fine. Most of these are $149-189. If you insist on spending $499, a Focusrite Clarett+ 2Pre buys you +18 dBu of maximum input level (so 142 dB SPL max) and 119 dB(A) worth of input dynamic range, with distortion that, while a bit short of measurement grade, still passes the threshold of audibility easily. You can also crank up the input gain to max without the upper -3 dB point in frequency response dropping as low as 10 kHz, as commonly seen on lesser interfaces (not like it would be much of a concern at the gains needed for a condenser either way).

So when it comes to just getting the job done, there is a lot out there that would fit the bill. It would be advisable to narrow things down by features, ergonomics, build quality, driver support and the like.

Last edited:
OP
J

jincuteguy

Because I don't like Audient ID14 and I want something better, if there is.

OP
J

jincuteguy

That's it? You don't need anything remotely close to $1000 to do a decent job with a condenser like that in a studio setting. Required preamp gain is going to be fairly modest, at least +9 dBu of maximum input level as found even on lower midrange CS4272 interfaces nowadays should cover up to 133 dB SPL peak, and if you're not totally averse to setting input level you should find their 110+ dB(A) of input dynamic range to be ample as well. (I once did the math for a spoken word application, required dynamic range for that was well under 90 dB even when being generous. Expect similar for an acoustic guitar, and realistically you're not going to record both yourself singing at the top of your lungs and the birds chirping outside at the same time either. That's the kind of extreme scenario you'd need to justify ~130 dB(A) studio-grade inputs - the upside being that you can set the level once and forget about it, which may be handy in a concert hall installation but is hardly required in a home studio. Finding a mic preamp that'll even pass that sort of dynamic range is no trivial matter.)
So you could be buying a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 gen3, Arturia Minifuse 2 or Universal Audio Volt 2 or 276 and be fine. Most of these are $149-189. If you insist on spending $499, a Focusrite Clarett+ 2Pre buys you +18 dBu of maximum input level (so 142 dB SPL max) and 119 dB(A) worth of input dynamic range, with distortion that, while a bit short of measurement grade, still passes the threshold of audibility easily. You can also crank up the input gain to max without the upper -3 dB point in frequency response dropping as low as 10 kHz, as commonly seen on lesser interfaces (not like it would be much of a concern at the gains needed for a condenser either way).

So when it comes to just getting the job done, there is a lot out there that would fit the bill. It would be advisable to narrow things down by features, ergonomics, build quality, driver support and the like.

I don't want something to get the job done. I want something that is good because I'm a technology enthusiast. It's the same when it comes to PC parts. I don't wanna spend $1000 on a CPU, and only spend like $200 on a cheap video card, you know what I mean.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe this review of the Zen Go with comparisons to many others you've considered will help. Below $1000 there will be trade offs. You'll have to decide which matter to you the most. Maybe the Focusrite Clarett series should be on your list of possibilities.

OP
J

jincuteguy

I was considered going with the Antelope Audio Zen Go / tour. But then I heard a lot of issues with the brand Antelope.
Also, why not many ppl using RME interfaces when RME drivers are so good and stabled on Windows? They still like to use Apollo

apson

Forum Donor
MOTU M4 in the corner like :rolleyes: (edit: Sorry also I just read the MOTU UltraLite-mk5 review)

Serious question: what's changed about ADC/delta sigma audio converters since the late 90s/early 2000s?

All I seem to see in higher-end RME and Lynx is perhaps better clocking strategies but the same ol' chips (even fewer with AKM out of the picture?). The ESS ADC numbers look impressive (see @IVX 's Cosmos ADC) but I've yet to (gasp!!!) hear it.

I'm guessing some people have the ESS ADC in the pipeline on their audio interface products. It's quite inexpensive compared to Cirrus Logic's flagship CS5381. You might want to actually evaluate these in the real world using your ears before you (to quote a Schiit engineer) get into ant fart territory.

Last edited:

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Also, why not many ppl using RME interfaces when RME drivers are so good and stabled on Windows? They still like to use Apollo
How do you know this? How have you determined the number of RME and Apollo interfaces in use? Link to your sources please.

YARE

I'm on the same side as OP. Recently I have ordered the Antelope Zen Q and after 2 hours I returned it back because of bad software. I do care a lot about DAC Performance because of my audiophile background.
Right now I have also ordered the Audient ID44 MKII because of it's overall technical capabilities (DAC Performance, RTL, Mic Input).

In what regard would the Babyface Pro FS be better suited as the Audient ID44 MKII besides Round-Trip Latency? Also some reviews online claim that the sound of the Main Outs are as good big studio converters, how can I determine that through data?

Top Bottom