• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone with home theater bypass experience (Parasound)??

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

Let me make sure I understand your goal.
You want to run your stereo L/R + 2 sub during stereo mode?
Yea or at least 1 sub. That’s why I was interested in the p6. I could run 2.2 without having to mess with a new sub or a whole separate stereo setup. And I could just use my existing speakers too.

MasterApex

I use custom XLR splitters from the GFP-750 to Pass X5 to drive four channels for a Bi-Amp configuration. The split XLR output is PLENTY of voltage, even in passive mode. Nelson Pass also designed the GFP-750 for Adcom, I wanted my stereo setup to be all Pass with the exception of sources.

what is your custom XLR splitter? I just use standard XLR splitter cable.
That is when I noticed the anthem sound was degraded , perhaps the antherm XLR output circuit is not as strong as Adcom.

MasterApex

Yea or at least 1 sub. That’s why I was interested in the p6. I could run 2.2 without having to mess with a new sub or a whole separate stereo setup. And I could just use my existing speakers too.
I see...
In that case Adcom will not work, as it only has L/R outputs no sub.
You probably can email benchmark to check if your application will work.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

I see...
In that case Adcom will not work, as it only has L/R outputs no sub.
You probably can email benchmark to check if your application will work.
Thx man that’s what I’ll do.

KMore33

I have the 4700 and the P6 in a similar situation for bypass and 2 channel with two subs. I have been very happy with my setup. I don’t have any measurements but I like the P6 as a preamp going to a Parasound A21 amp to my Kef R11 fronts.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

I have the 4700 and the P6 in a similar situation for bypass and 2 channel with two subs. I have been very happy with my setup. I don’t have any measurements but I like the P6 as a preamp going to a Parasound A21 amp to my Kef R11 fronts.
Good deal. Kinda happy to see someone that had a positive experience with the p6. Do you use the ht Bypass? If so, I’m wondering about the bass management aspect of it all. Meaning, when you just listen to stereo on the p6 do the subwoofers still sound decent without the EQ (Audyssey)?

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

Bypass works well on the P6 for my 7.2.4 setup.
Thanks for the input. That does it! The price is right on those the only problem is finding one in stock.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So this is probably a stupid question but I can’t figure it out so here it goes. In reference to the LA4, let’s say I wanted to run my L/R speakers and 2 subwoofers. How would I do this or is it possible with the benchmark? Looking at the Parasound p6 it’s pretty simple with the HT bypass option. But doing the same thing with the benchmark I can’t figure it out. Just looking at the back of the benchmark on their website it looks like I can only pass my L/R speakers and I would have to have a separate subwoofer (ie a 3rd subwoofer above and beyond the 2 that are already in my HT) hope that wasn’t too confusing. Appreciate the help.
I recently bought a mint used Anthem STR Preamplifier, which is connected to my Krell FPB 400cx power amp, and I use the home theater bypass feature for movies. The STR is pricey, but it allows you to use 2 subwoofers with ARC room correction, although I have no idea so far as to how to do that. As to the sound compared to my AVR(Denon AVR X-5200), I can't say that I've done any comparison. But I do like the sound I'm getting both in 2-channel and with home theater bypass.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

I recently bought a mint used Anthem STR Preamplifier, which is connected to my Krell FPB 400cx power amp, and I use the home theater bypass feature for movies. The STR is pricey, but it allows you to use 2 subwoofers with ARC room correction, although I have no idea so far as to how to do that. As to the sound compared to my AVR(Denon AVR X-5200), I can't say that I've done any comparison. But I do like the sound I'm getting both in 2-channel and with home theater bypass.
Yea I think I saw that preamp but I think it was a couple mortgage payments for me so I kept scrolling. Wouldnt mind saving for something that is worth it though. Is the anthem very confusing to implement ARC ? Or have you just not messed with it? I’ve only ever used YPAO and Audy but I have heard ARC and Dirac are much better. (Don’t know if that’s fluff or fact)

Reactions: EJC

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yea I think I saw that preamp but I think it was a couple mortgage payments for me so I kept scrolling. Wouldnt mind saving for something that is worth it though. Is the anthem very confusing to implement ARC ? Or have you just not messed with it? I’ve only ever used YPAO and Audy but I have heard ARC and Dirac are much better. (Don’t know if that’s fluff or fact)

First, I will say, I was able to buy my mint used unit for just about half the MSRP. So you might keep an eye out for a deal. The STR is supposed to be a very good pre-amp that can do a lot of things for you, even includes MM and MC phono inputs and decent DAC.

No, I have not attempted to use ARC yet, although it is supposed to be very good. I have heard ARC in use at audio shows and the sound was great, at least to me. Here is a review of the STR Preamp:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...them-str-preamplifier-power-amplifier-review/

And here are measurements from Gene at Audioholics:

https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/anthem-str-preamp-power-amplifier/p2

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the input. That does it! The price is right on those the only problem is finding one in stock.
Please review and make sure you understand the how the volume works on the P6. I thought mine was broken but after talking to Parasound i found out it works as intended. Its not linear so i had to always run it at 80+ volume to get any volume. I never really got used to it so i sold it. Other than that it was solid.

MetalDaze

I have a Parasound P5 which I use & is integrated into my home theater set up/ 2.1 stereo set up.

I have an Integra DRX-3 acting as the HDMI Processor - off loading the amplification to a Parasound A21+ for the fronts. And an Emotiva XPA-4 on the surrounds and center channel when I use it. The system specifics are in my signature.

I got the Parasound specifically to up my 2 channel listening experience. I wanted the home theater bypass to integrate the unit into what I already had built, which worked very well. I also very much wanted bass management and separate analog subwoofer outputs to add in the fun when I am actively bi-amping speakers or utilizing the sub(s) while listening to analog sources.

I also did what another member suggested, by building a balanced 2.0 channel system ; albeit combining the two systems into one since my living situation currently only allows for one room to be dedicated to such purposes. So I use an RME ADI 2 as my main DAC, balanced through the P5 for 2.0 or 2.1 channel listening. I also have my OPPO player plugged into the P5 via Coax, a tape deck on RCA, 2 turntables, and the loop back from a Tube amp when I want some "fuzz". And finally the Integra on bypass for all my HDMI and surround sound listening/watching experiences.

The P5 is basically maxed out on the connections but it's been a great unit for me. Very convenient and I do feel that it added a more realistic sound to my music listening sessions. Of course the DAC and source etc play a huge role, however I did note the sound being more spacious with a much easier time placing performers and hearing background nuances. I will also add that I got my pre-amp for a very fair price from the original owner who was consolidating from separates. So it pays to browse around a bit unless a warranty/guaranteed return window is an absolute must.

Lastly the only drawback I have experienced with my P5 is the Alps analog volume potentiometer. Low level channel imbalance can be annoying and If you don't use it much past a 11'oclock or so it becomes scratchy while manipulating the volume. Instead of manual cleaning, I've found if I play some music (PCM so the volume can be lowered digitally) - lower the volume in my music player to ~ -50dB, and open the volume pot all the way. Then close it and work it back and fourth, with voltage going across it. Usually this fixes my issue and It's only happened a couple of times.

Parasound made some changes on the P6. Going to an electronic volume control was a big plus to remove any low level channel imbalance, potential for dirty/scratchy pots, and biggest of all numbers to see your volume in the dark! Lol. I've had good experiences with their brand without having to pay an arm & a leg to get there. Hopefully something comes together for you!

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

Please review and make sure you understand the how the volume works on the P6. I thought mine was broken but after talking to Parasound i found out it works as intended. Its not linear so i had to always run it at 80+ volume to get any volume. I never really got used to it so i sold it. Other than that it was solid.
Do you mean that you had to blast it to listen? Or you couldn’t really listen at low levels?

MetalDaze

Do you mean that you had to blast it to listen? Or you couldn’t really listen at low levels?

f5P1V.png

They changed the way the volume works from the P5 to the P6. The latter using I believe the Log(Audio) to allow more "usable room" in the volume control.

My P5 by contrast paired with the A21+ is very loud by 11'Oclock position.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't understand the whole home theater bypass concept to begin with....just seems additional unnecessary gear....

KMore33

I use my P6 as a preamp for music and bypass allows me to use only the AVR for all channels when watching TV or movies. I like the audio quality of the P6 and it allows me to have separates for 2 channel music listening. True I could use the AVR for everything but I wanted separates for music.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

Don't understand the whole home theater bypass concept to begin with....just seems additional unnecessary gear....
“Unnecessary gear” is the American way. That’s why I love this country.

Top Bottom