• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone with home theater bypass experience (Parasound)??

Lawyrup843

I’ll try to keep it short n sweet. I have a Denon 4700h Avr and would like to upgrade my stereo listening. My surround setup is perfect for now but I am thinking I might get a better experience With music listening (2 channel) by implementing a different pre-amp. So I’ve been researching different options and been eyeing the Parasound p6 pre-amp. This way I can hook it right into my avr. Looking for anyone out there that has done this and what results they realized.

https://parasound.com/p6.php

Thanks

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just what would that address for "stereo" listening?

charleski

Major Contributor
It's right there on page 8 of the Parasound user manual. Your Denon has pre-outs, so hook those to the Bypass inputs. Obviously this is assuming that you have a separate power amp as well that you want to use for the front stereo speakers. If you don't, and just want to use the Parasound to switch and control volume for your stereo sources, then I'd guess you hook the Parasound up to one of the RCA inputs on the Denon and press the 'Pure' button on the remote, though the Denon's volume control will still be operational.

I very much doubt that adding a pre-amp will result in any improvement though.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

It's right there on page 8 of the Parasound user manual. Your Denon has pre-outs, so hook those to the Bypass inputs. Obviously this is assuming that you have a separate power amp as well that you want to use for the front stereo speakers. If you don't, and just want to use the Parasound to switch and control volume for your stereo sources, then I'd guess you hook the Parasound up to one of the RCA inputs on the Denon and press the 'Pure' button on the remote, though the Denon's volume control will still be operational.

I very much doubt that adding a pre-amp will result in any improvement though.

Yea I saw the manual and it would work in my setup as I would be using separate amps. Just wanted to see if anyone else had a positive or negative experience with doing so.

Rip City Dave

Are you looking to have a dedicated amplifier and speakers for two-channel listening or integrating the P6 into your current system?

I have the P6, but I use it only for two-channel listening. I can confirm that it is a superb preamp.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

Basically. My thoughts are the P6 would be a better (2 channel) experience vs just using the AVR for stereo music playback. Like I said not that my experience is bad just looking to improve. Glad to hear you are happy with the P6. Seems from the responses I’m getting id be “wasting” money.

patoulol

Forum Donor
Basically. My thoughts are the P6 would be a better (2 channel) experience vs just using the AVR for stereo music playback. Like I said not that my experience is bad just looking to improve. Glad to hear you are happy with the P6. Seems from the responses I’m getting id be “wasting” money.

I'm sure that when listening in ABX blind, no one can hear one difference

exemple
A previous set + YBA stage that is around 8,000 Euros (YBA cables included) and considered very audiophile has been compared, against a simple low-end Denon that does not exceed 400 Euros and that is more than 18 years old. The results yield some resounding conclusions:

NO SOUND DIFFERENCES FOUND between YBA and DENON
source : Matrix Hifi

oupee

@Lawyrup843

It would be more advantageous and expensive to buy a Parasound Hint 6 and connect the front speakers to it and preout from the AVR to the bypass input Hint 6. The AVR will not turn on at all on the stereo. The others do not hear the difference does not mean that you will not hear it. In the worst case, it can be returned to the seller.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

@Lawyrup843

It would be more advantageous and expensive to buy a Parasound Hint 6 and connect the front speakers to it and preout from the AVR to the bypass input Hint 6. The AVR will not turn on at all on the stereo. The others do not hear the difference does not mean that you will not hear it. In the worst case, it can be returned to the seller.
That’s fair enough. I’ve gambled and lost more so I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try. Never had any Parasound gear and from what I’ve heard (from other people) the Halo line is nice.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Wouldn't you just start going down the road of separates? Or make a whole nother setup for just 2 channel with maybe some full range towers?

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you're going to do this, just build out a completely separate, fully balanced setup for stereo. Messing with HT bypass will just cost money and not end up achieving what you're after.

MasterApex

I use Adcom GFP 750 XLR in/out for my stereo then use its RCA input bypass from Anthem AVM50v pre-pro for HT to preserve best stereo quality.
The Adcom GFP 750 is Class A rated by stereophile.
Another option is to use Benchmark LA4 pre-amp for stereo and assign the RCA input for bypass.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

I use Adcom GFP 750 XLR in/out for my stereo then use its RCA input bypass from Anthem AVM50v pre-pro for HT to preserve best stereo quality.
Another option is to use Benchmark LA4 pre-amp for stereo and assign the RCA input for bypass.
Yea I like that idea. The benchmark looks flippin niiiiiice. Need to really convince myself mentally on spending that kind of $ though. With your setup you mentioned do you feel it improved your stereo listening? Versus just using your avr? Thx

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

Too funny, I also use a GFP-750 and love it to death. Have it paired with a Pass X5 to complete my Class A stereo pre/amp.

MasterApex

Yea I like that idea. The benchmark looks flippin niiiiiice. Need to really convince myself mentally on spending that kind of $ though. With your setup you mentioned do you feel it improved your stereo listening? Versus just using your avr? Thx

For running single AMP and pop music /movies , to levinson 333 or benchmark AHB2 (I have both) , the anthem XLR output sound just as good (i,e, no need for dedicated stereo pre-amp).

However, when you run bi-amp, the adcom single XLR output can drive two AMP inputs without degradation is sounds quality.
Also, I can only notice it on SACD classical music , playing it a moderately loud volume (to get soundstage like sitting in the front rows of live orchestra. Otherwise the AVM50v works fine for most of materials, But I decided to keep separate because of the improved stereo sound quality.

I want to try benchmark :LA4 because it has second XLR inputs.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I use custom XLR splitters from the GFP-750 to Pass X5 to drive four channels for a Bi-Amp configuration. The split XLR output is PLENTY of voltage, even in passive mode. Nelson Pass also designed the GFP-750 for Adcom, I wanted my stereo setup to be all Pass with the exception of sources.

OP
Lawyrup843

Lawyrup843

For running single AMP and pop music /movies , to levinson 333 or benchmark AHB2 (I have both) , the anthem XLR output sound just as good (i,e, no need for dedicated stereo pre-amp).

However, when you run bi-amp, the adcom single XLR output can drive two AMP inputs without degradation is sounds quality.
Also, I can only notice it on SACD classical music , playing it a moderately loud volume (to get soundstage like sitting in the front rows of live orchestra. Otherwise the AVM50v works fine for most of materials, But I decided to keep separate because of the improved stereo sound quality.

I want to try benchmark :LA4 because it has second XLR inputs.

So this is probably a stupid question but I can’t figure it out so here it goes. In reference to the LA4, let’s say I wanted to run my L/R speakers and 2 subwoofers. How would I do this or is it possible with the benchmark? Looking at the Parasound p6 it’s pretty simple with the HT bypass option. But doing the same thing with the benchmark I can’t figure it out. Just looking at the back of the benchmark on their website it looks like I can only pass my L/R speakers and I would have to have a separate subwoofer (ie a 3rd subwoofer above and beyond the 2 that are already in my HT) hope that wasn’t too confusing. Appreciate the help.

MasterApex

Let me make sure I understand your goal.
You want to run your stereo L/R + 2 sub during stereo mode?

Top Bottom