• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone watching Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think colored people have been in Scotland for a longgg long period of time. That's what I read anyway and I was told that too by a Scottish black dood that used to rep for a major British speaker company that we bought stuff from. :D So it does not phase me in any way that the movie has colored people in it.

OP
Gorgonzola

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please let’s not drag this conversation into the Woke/Not-Woke Dumpster Fire. Leave the politics at the door and talk about the show in general.
I understand you to avoid politicization of the thread (and ASR in general). But we can't escape from the fact that the story, supposedly on Tolkien, so obviously meets the current imperative for "diversity" when Tolkien's idea of diversity, by contrast, was Elf vs. Dwarf vs. Human.

As pointed out, Tolkien's Middle Earth was implicitly Europe and he drew his ideas largely for European mythology. Blacks were uncomplicatedly superfluous in that context. If you like, you may construe that the Haradrim are Black; they can from the distant south of Middle Earth.

OP
Gorgonzola

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Er, what? This is a polycultural and polylingual fantastical creation by an author with strong anti-fascist views. Skin colour doesn't come into it. Criticising the ethnicity of the actors is unlikely to be in Tolkien's spirit (and in 2022 smacks of political opinions I would have hoped to be outdated and not represented on this enlightened board).
Humm ... well Tolkien has be dead for decades and, anyway, he wrote the LoTR decades before his death. It's anachronistic to ascribe current diversity sensibilities (-- or Wokeness) to Tolkien. If somehow we could convey the current series back to Tolkien in the days he was writing LoTR, I think would find its diversity puzzling if not gratuitous. (I'm not imply that Tolkien was racist in any degree.)

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would ask how do black elves and dwarves add to the story? I don't see them adding anything.
Svartálfheim (literally the home of the black elves) is one of the nine (or ten) realms of Norse mythology. Black Elves are also called Dvergs. Who are, you guessed it,

dvergr (Old Norse)
Origin & history
From Proto-Germanic *dwergaz‎ ("dwarf"). Cognate with Old English dweorg‎, Old Frisian dwerch‎, Old Saxon dwerg‎, Old High German twerg‎, twerc.
Pronunciation
(12th century Icelandic) IPA: /ˈdwerɣr̩/

Moria and Svartálfheim share many similarities. There is a shitload of goddesses in Norse mythology too.
We are talking about mythology, essentially bullshit in our contemporary eyes of which there are dozens of versions and variants anyway.
And the fact is mythology is way more diverse than the image we may have developed of it in our wanking teen years.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Svartálfheim (literally the home of the black elves) is one of the nine (or ten) realms of Norse mythology. Black Elves are also called Dvergs. Who are, you guessed it,

dvergr (Old Norse)
Origin & history
From Proto-Germanic *dwergaz‎ ("dwarf"). Cognate with Old English dweorg‎, Old Frisian dwerch‎, Old Saxon dwerg‎, Old High German twerg‎, twerc.
Pronunciation
(12th century Icelandic) IPA: /ˈdwerɣr̩/

Moria and Svartálfheim share many similarities. There is a shitload of goddesses in Norse mythology too.
We are talking about mythology, essentially bullshit in our contemporary eyes of which there are dozens of versions and variants anyway.
And the fact is mythology is way more diverse than the image we may have developed of it in our wanking teen years.
Which is just rationalizing lipstick on a pig. The reason there are black elves and dwarves in this series has nothing to do with anything you wrote or anyone thinking about any of that as a reason to have them. Virtue signaling is the reason. Or maybe needed to meet the racial quotas mandated for many of the awards given out in entertainment currently.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Criticising the ethnicity of the actors is unlikely to be in Tolkien's spirit (and in 2022 smacks of political opinions I would have hoped to be outdated and not represented on this enlightened board).
I'm sorry but what I don't get is to ascribe something to Tolkien when he literally wrote thousands of pages and describes exactly how main characters looked. Departures should add something or at least not take away from it. Think terrible casting like Tom Cruise in Interview with a Vampire. On the other side of the coin, it didnt bother me that Liet Kynes changed gender and probably race in Dune bc it didnt turn the story upside down. And I think of the Expanse where the series was totally polyglot and it all worked...because somehow it was pretty faithful to the story and it was well done. This Amazon deal is just insipid and it's like the writers and producers are playing LOTR Madlibs with the text or doing fan fiction by committee.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is just rationalizing lipstick on a pig. The reason there are black elves and dwarves in this series has nothing to do with anything you wrote or anyone thinking about any of that as a reason to have them. Virtue signaling is the reason. Or maybe needed to meet the racial quotas mandated for many of the awards given out in entertainment currently.

My post did not contain a once of rationalization. It did not conjecture about any motives anyone could have had at any point.

I was just stating facts (about mythology) that you seemed to ignore.

Dwarves should be all blacks btw

"The dwarves are pitch-black in appearance and live underground in Svartalfheim,[2][3] a place which was probably thought of as a labyrinthine complex of mines and forges."

I am not speculating about "the racial quotas mandated for many of the awards given out in entertainment currently."

I thought you liked facts. In some fields, you seem to.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The main problem I have so far is that the hobbits here manage to be even more precious than they were in the LOTR films (I never saw the The Hobbit movies and don't plan to). I do love the all reactionary racist heads exploding, though.

matt3421

The main problem I have so far is that the hobbits here manage to be even more precious than they were in the LOTR films (I never saw the The Hobbit movies and don't plan to). I do love the all reactionary racist heads exploding, though.
what racist comments were posted here? i dont see any.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would ask how do black elves and dwarves add to the story? I don't see them adding anything.
Who cares? European racism is a relatively recent thing anyways, nor is it particularly about europe. They're actors....may as well complain about all the christian idiots who perceive hay-sus as a white guy.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My post did not contain a once of rationalization. It did not conjecture about any motives anyone could have had at any point.

I was just stating facts (about mythology) that you seemed to ignore.

Dwarves should be all blacks btw

"The dwarves are pitch-black in appearance and live underground in Svartalfheim,[2][3] a place which was probably thought of as a labyrinthine complex of mines and forges."

I am not speculating about "the racial quotas mandated for many of the awards given out in entertainment currently."

I thought you liked facts. In some fields, you seem to.
Tolkein is not who wrote about dwarves in Svartalfheim. The racial quotas for awards are a fact.

As someone was posting about the Expanse. A polyglot of races and that is fine as it is one of my favorite series which I was sad to see come to an end. I don't find this gratuitous placement in the Rings of Power to have any purpose other than qualifying for possible awards. I don't think it is something Tolkein had in mind. He did describe 7 different groups of dwarves.

G|force

Forum Donor
Elves and humans don't get along usually. Elves are sort of similar to Vulcans, though sometimes not as logical as a typical Vulcan when making choices. Hey that's not racist when discussing different species. :)

Andysu

Major Contributor
Didn’t I just ask for us not to go on about this Woke stuff? I swear I did?
you mentioned the " w " three times now . lets have box for every time someone says the " w " got put $1 dollar in it lol :p

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Elves and humans don't get along usually. Elves are sort of similar to Vulcans, though sometimes not as logical as a typical Vulcan when making choices. Hey that's not racist when discussing different species. :)
Elves are also supposed to be very tall/athletic/good looking....I think this new series has made some compromises there and just makes them have pointy ears.....

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Struggling to get into the show, was a big fan of LoTR and the Hobbit. Disappointed so far.
Still, the reactions of the faithful is most entertaining and makes the show worthwhile

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Struggling to get into the show, was a big fan of LoTR and the Hobbit. Disappointed so far.
Still, the reactions of the faithful is most entertaining and makes the show worthwhile
Curious, how do you rank LoTR vs Hobbit? Loved LOtR and the general adhering to the books, but the Hobbit kinda blew that apart. I still enjoyed both of course (and I own the the 3d extended blurays of Hobbit and the regular extended bluray for LoTR). I first read the books almost 50 years ago, and I do need to re-read them to criticize particular disgressions but in the meantime will just take the tv series for what it is, a pretty good production value oddity. :)

Daverz

Major Contributor
what racist comments were posted here? i dont see any.

I was commenting on the whole backlash, not specifically ASR.

I found an interesting comment on this whole freakout on the Youtube video below:

"What bothers me is that people can suspend disbelief for a show that has dragons, elves, ghosts, and giant fire demons but they can't get past having people of color in fantasy. As a black man, I would much rather have stories for us rather than just throwing us into shows like these. Not saying that it's a bad thing but I would just rather have something for us." -- Chas Howard

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Curious, how do you rank LoTR vs Hobbit? Loved LOtR and the general adhering to the books, but the Hobbit kinda blew that apart. I still enjoyed both of course (and I own the the 3d extended blurays of Hobbit and the regular extended bluray for LoTR). I first read the books almost 50 years ago, and I do need to re-read them to criticize particular disgressions but in the meantime will just take the tv series for what it is, a pretty good production value oddity. :)

Not sure how I would rank the trilogies, they came at different times and I enjoyed going to the cinema with family to watch both.
The second movie in both series was outstanding.

Given the investment in the new series Iam hoping for more. Like a lot of things - Star Wars, Marvel etc. a lack of new ideas/presentation is combining with fickle viewer fatigue.

Like others I am also bemoaning the end of the Expanse. Tried to watch Sandman and Resident Evil, didnt get far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom