• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone watching Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s boring and bland, the acting is mostly bad, the “harfoots” are cringe and use modern language, Galadriel is insufferable. The “grand secret” was obvious from the get-go. And worse of all: the writing :facepalm: What a bunch of incompetent entitled idiots… the only thing Tolkien is the name, otherwise it a total basterdization of the source material. It looks pretty at times though, and the music is quite okay.

Go watch House if the Dragon, it is much better!

I mean it gave a lot of 'Video game with unskipable cutscenes' vibe but this is just cruel. It's not that bad.

Andysu

Major Contributor
i think this bored of the rings , gets headless panther . i don't even watch the dvd's anymore last time fully watched early 2000's when the dvd's first released . saw it at the cinema in cinerama screen , SR-D and then last two at another cinema up the road projected rather large all in SR-D .
i watched few minutes of this amazon and got bored with the rings in less than few minutes then listened to , howard shore score for rings 2 , end credits .

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not watching
1662575818785.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That’s what you get when “diversity” and skin color is more important than the original story.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What a stereotypical response :facepalm: what about all those so called powerful female characters that actually had a great following of fans? How do you explain those?

No, Galadriel is just literally insufferable: the whole plot of these two episodes revolves around this fact! Nobody wanted here around, she’s not a team player, and they were glad to have send here off. And obviously she is perfect from the start. There is no character development, no real story, no real stakes. She has just one dimensional.

None of this really makes it too Woke though, it just means that the writers have never read a decent book and don’t know how to write an actual human character (or an elven one for that matter).

Honestly early Galadriel is already an almost impossible character to write, she is the most powerful elf in Middle-Earth around the time of the trilogy, and before the triliogy she was the front line of defense against Sauron, in the meantime Gandalf was getting high for hundreds of years.

This is not a character that anyone can easily relate to, every decision she makes will be outlandish and stupid from the prespective of 'mortals'. I mean who the fuck would refuse to go back to what Tolkien considered heaven for thousands and thousands of years?

That's why Gandalf was the protagonist of the main story. Unless you're watching this just because it's a prequel you will not enjoy it.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"She is way too WOKE" wasn't a stereotypical comment at all, that's for sure...:rolleyes:
It is a tribal thing. The Anglo-Saxons are currently roughly split into two currents. "<insert anything> is way too woke" is just some kind of rallying cry. A way by which members of those tribes, who mostly look alike, identify themselves. The use of that cry usually leads to virtual tavern brawls. Just grab some popcorn and enjoy.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly early Galadriel is already an almost impossible character to write, she is the most powerful elf in Middle-Earth around the time of the trilogy, and before the triliogy she was the front line of defense against Sauron, in the meantime Gandalf was getting high for hundreds of years.

This is not a character that anyone can easily relate to, every decision she makes will be outlandish and stupid from the prespective of 'mortals'. I mean who the fuck would refuse to go back to what Tolkien considered heaven for thousands and thousands of years?
And just jump into the middle of the ocean and start swimming… somewhere…:facepalm: thats preposterous even for a fantasy series.

But the decisions themselves are not the problem here (well, having her jump in the sea is) in majority of cases. The problem is that they are not believable. They have too little depth, to little backdrop. The only emotion she shows is revenge. That is not how people work. They always have mixed emotions that meander around and show different sides. None of that here.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And just jump into the middle of the ocean and start swimming… somewhere…:facepalm: thats preposterous even for a fantasy series.

Honestly the CGI in that scene was so incredible on the OLED i didn't even care about how it doesn't make sense narratively. Apparently if you keep throwing money at a problem it does disappear, who knew?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Please let’s not drag this conversation into the Woke/Not-Woke Dumpster Fire. Leave the politics at the door and talk about the show in general.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a soulless CGI fest in my opinion.

Whereas in the OT, CGI was used seldom and smart, this time around they seemingly saw it as a challenge to do as much as possible in full CGI.
As a result the show looks more like an upscale render trailer for the next Final Fantasy or WoW addon than a believable world to inmmerse yourself in.
(It's the contrast between the characters played by real people and the painfully fake environments they live in that takes me out of it. Do the show in full CG Arcane style and now we're talking. Or tone it down and put some effort into practical effects)

Whereas in the OT, dialogues had wit and depth to them, here they're bland and go on forever. Very little is said in lots of words.

Whereas in the OT, characters characters were multi-layered, here you learn everything there's to know about them right in their introduction.

Rant over, sorry.
OT? Original trilogy?

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's up with cringey bomer comments like these? Why are people getting triggered by a black elf and a black dwarf?
Because it’s supposed to be about Europe. Why is it not OK anymore to have white actors in a white European story?
Why does it have to be a diverse cast?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Because it’s supposed to be about Europe. Why is it not OK anymore to have white actors in a white European story?
Why does it have to be a diverse cast?
Didn’t I just ask for us not to go on about this Woke stuff? I swear I did?

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Because it’s supposed to be about Europe.

Er, what? This is a polycultural and polylingual fantastical creation by an author with strong anti-fascist views. Skin colour doesn't come into it. Criticising the ethnicity of the actors is unlikely to be in Tolkien's spirit (and in 2022 smacks of political opinions I would have hoped to be outdated and not represented on this enlightened board).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would ask how do black elves and dwarves add to the story? I don't see them adding anything.

nerdstrike

I can give a pass to the first episode. I had lots to grumble about, but first episodes are often shaky at best.

I enjoyed the second episode, but still lots of room for improvement. I enjoyed the Elrond visits the dwarves sequence, because it let us see a Dwarven Kingdom in its heyday while also learning about the failure of a friendship. Did it need a lift? No. Did it need a foolish macho hammering contest? No.

Did it need an inter-species love story? Not really.
Will Galadriel learn that being a leader needs more than authority? Remains to be seen.
Will we stagger our way from "memberberry" to callback? Seems likely! Will any cliche be left un-cliched? Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom