• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone using their laptop as a desktop/main PC?

Digby

Major Contributor
I've been wary of using laptops for this duty in the past (as main PC connected to an external monitor), because the CPUs were always a bit limited and often times fans too noisy. Nowadays you can get pretty fast CPUs and very quiet fans, so it seems more viable - then, if you need to go somewhere, you just unplug the external bits and take the PC with you.

Anybody here doing this. What are, in your experience, the pros and cons of this kind of setup?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of stuff do you do that the CPU is the bottleneck? I've been using a laptop as the main PC for over de decade. Since the introduction of SDDs, there isn't much to complain about in most use cases.

If you are into gaming or heavy multimedia stuff, things might be different.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Nothing like that, just general use. This is why I think it might be a good option, especially with SSDs (2.5" hdds were a real bottleneck). I suppose you could be limited to how many external monitors you can use. I dunno, just trying to figure it out from other peoples experience (searching web brings up mostly nonsense).

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been wary of using laptops for this duty in the past (as main PC connected to an external monitor), because the CPUs were always a bit limited and often times fans too noisy. Nowadays you can get pretty fast CPUs and very quiet fans, so it seems more viable - then, if you need to go somewhere, you just unplug the external bits and take the PC with you.

Anybody here doing this. What are, in your experience, the pros and cons of this kind of setup?
I’ve used a laptop as my primary computer since 1997, with an external monitor and keyboard/mouse since 2005 or so. Now with Thunderbolt docks it’s seamless even if you’re stuck in windows and can’t use a Mac.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a few things to consider if you're in the market for a new laptop (IMHO):
- Get something with plenty of CPU cores. Even if you don't do a lot, it just makes for a smoother overall experience. AMD has some nice modern offerings in that regard, Intel is catching up though. Otherwise, Apple M1 will give you a lot of cool CPU power
- Don't skimp on RAM, 8 GB bare minimum, regardless of OS
- Make sure you have a decent screen. Especially Windows laptops used to have very scrappy screens. Nowadays you can get some nice screens. Some decent pixel real estate is valuable to have, as is decent color rendering and brightness. So stay away from those 1366x768 things.
- Make sure you have a decent touchpad. Skimping on these used to be all over the place, giving a very crappy experience.
- Double-check that you can hook up all the external stuff you need, like multiple screens, etc.
- Whatever you think you need for storage, get double

Last edited:
OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
I’ve used a laptop as my primary computer since 1997, with an external monitor and keyboard/mouse since 2005 or so. Now with Thunderbolt docks it’s seamless even if you’re stuck in windows and can’t use a Mac.
How long do you expect them to last. Any problems with loose ports/connectors/faults that you wouldn't expect (or could easily be fixed) with a desktop?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How long do you expect them to last. Any problems with loose ports/connectors/faults that you wouldn't expect (or could easily be fixed) with a desktop?
USB C connectors (they are used by Thunderbolt 3 and above) are rated for 10 000 connect-disconnect cycles. That would be almost 10 years if you do it 3 times a day everyday.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Who uses a desktop anymore? :D :D :D

Actually, I do... I have a tower "office computer" and another "audio-video" tower (for audio/video editing), and a laptop that i actually use 90% of the time, and another laptop connected to my stereo for music listening.

The towers have lasted longer and are more maintainable than laptops.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Laptops are more than adequate for general use. Just have a good backup strategy in place so you don't lose your important data (that goes for desktops too, but its easier to do since you can have multiple drives in desktop)

Zensō

Major Contributor
I just sold a 2018 MacBook Pro and replaced it with a Mac Studio desktop. In clamshell mode the MacBook fans were very noisy and constantly turning on and off while running music, photo, or design software. The Mac Studio is nearly silent in comparison. Poor thermal performance is fairly common in laptops due to the form factor.

PS - I also had a battery bulge in a work-issued MacBook Pro. My IT department insisted it was because of running it in clamshell mode 24/7. Not sure if that’s true.

Last edited:

bahamot

I used laptop as desktop replacement and turned it on almost 24hrs. But had to replace it after more than a decade in service. Now it's just too slow for current websites (full with fancy effects and graphics).

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
I used laptop as desktop replacement and turned it on almost 24hrs. But had to replace it after more than a decade in service. Now it's just too slow for current websites (full with fancy effects and graphics).
Sounds like it did pretty well if you got a decade out of it.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Why on earth can¨t a laptop be the "main" PC?, have not had a stationary PC since 2005

stemfencer

Most "regular" people I know use laptop as their main (and only) pc. It's only me and few friends which have less mainstream use cases go for the horsepower a desktop unit offers.

Main discussion points are a) size/portability, b) price and c) top end performance. Laptops obviously more portable. Dekstop pcs will be cheaper for equivalent performance, but gap is closing. If you want to run modern games, into photo or movie editing, other have other use cases demanding a lot of performance then not many laptops can offer what a desktop build will.

A bit of an arrogant statement: but if you have to ask this question, then a modern laptop will serve you well.

Katji

Major Contributor
The towers have lasted longer and are more maintainable than laptops.
Maybe,
but never again. Minimal, need easier to pack and go, far away.
2 laptops, since 2010/11, I think. Acer i7/whatever got hot and eventually died. And now i detest laptop coolers. ASUS Vivobook i7 2014 until now, keyboard is failing, display was never good.
Never had any noise problem. Or USB problem. ASUS. [i will never buy Dell or Lenovo or HP, for instance.]
Fan only switches on when videos for more than a few minutes.

* Is on the bed most of the time, or on couch in other room.
Speakers approx. 3.5 metres away. [Unfortunately back against wall. Need renovation + acoustic panels. ...+ UMIK.]

- Make sure you have a decent screen. Especially Windows laptops used to have very scrappy screens. Nowadays you can get some nice screens. Some decent pixel real estate is valuable to have, as is decent color rendering and brightness. So stay away from those 1366x768 things.
That's the problem I have. The 768. Dell S 4K/whatever nearby with 5m HDMI* cable...was a disappointment, next time I'll get a cheaper one.
- Make sure you have a decent touchpad. Skimping on these used to be all over the place, giving a very crappy experience.

Switched off. Can't stand them. Mouse cursor jumping all over from me moving my hand/arm. Never learned to use touchpad, maybe because desktop PC + mouse, at workplace/s programming since 1990.

But now I need a new mouse. Again. Scroll wheels stop working. Actually, I needed it weeks ago. I've sometimes thought of asking here, because google/etc. for computer stuff is a PITA - I want a bigger mouse. Google/Reddit/etc. all about game mouse...I don't mind extra buttons but i do mind lights.
Hard to tell size from Amazon/etc., and user review/comments are like "it's bigger than i thought"/"it's smaller than i thought."
So I suppose I'll just get another small Microsoft mouse until I can find a good big one.

- Double-check that you can hook up all the external stuff you need, like multiple screens, etc.
Apple Airbooks afaik just one USB/Lighning port. And not enough storage. I need one for audio, one for permanently attached 4Tb HD, 1 for mouse [although maybe Apple does that differently, without the USB wireless thing.] ...And what about HDMI for big monitor.

8 Gb RAM with Windows 8.1 is fine with Firefox >30 tabs and everything else I do. I would've upgraded to 12 but it wasn't possible/practical, spent too much time trying to find the right module anyway. And now I need a new laptop, before i try fixing this keyboard.

Katji

Major Contributor
I've been wary of using laptops for this duty in the past (as main PC connected to an external monitor), because the CPUs were always a bit limited and often times fans too noisy. Nowadays you can get pretty fast CPUs and very quiet fans, so it seems more viable -
Intel i7 [plain old ex 2014] is fine for me. Firefox >30 tabs, VC#/Delphi same time.
Fans?! It's desktop PSU fans that make the noise, because sheet steel housings with grid/grille things adding to the actual fan sound. ...There too, like noisy motherboards and crappy USB, better brand high-end is the best bet. Oh and alloy frame rather than plastic - like with phones.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Laptops are more than adequate for general use. Just have a good backup strategy in place so you don't lose your important data (that goes for desktops too, but its easier to do since you can have multiple drives in desktop)
Seagate USB 4Tb stays permanently attached to my laptop.
I close the laptop, put the ASUS PSU thing on top, loosely coiling the cable, and the HD on that coiled cable. + the mouse.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple Airbooks afaik just one USB/Lighning port.
Two on the Air, 3 on the Pros.
And not enough storage.
Do you need more than 2 TB of built-in storage?

1 for mouse [although maybe Apple does that differently, without the USB wireless thing.] .
The mouse is wireless...
..And what about HDMI for big monitor.
M1 Pro has dedicated HDMI, but better use Thunderbold/USB to the screen, then you can also hook up all your USB shit to the screen and power the laptop through it (that's what I do). One cable is all you need.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^ok...No, don't need > 1 TB internal but do need >2 TB external. (Separate/portable.)
1 USB port - maybe because I was looking at the 13"/14" model? - Need to check again.

Ok, the mouse - integrated wireless for it, no USB thing.
So, as it is I have the USB HD attached, laptop moving between bed and couch, I don't want a USB hub as well. I noticed via macrumors RSS that it seems to be a big thing, good USB hubs. Maybe I could somehow attach a small hub to the HD [or vice-versa], but then it should not be a powered hub.

So I suppose it's do-able. ...Mp3tag, ok. But EAPO? ...And the rest - I'd have to "research" more...dev tools, etc.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
M1 Pro has dedicated HDMI, but better use Thunderbold/USB to the screen, then you can also hook up all your USB shit to the screen and power the laptop through it (that's what I do). One cable is all you need.

I have a Philips 34" UWQHD display with integrated KVM/USB Hub (with PowerDelivery)/Web camera/Microphone and speakers. My own desktop PC is connected to the screen via DisplayPort and USB3.0. My work laptop connects to the screen via a single USB-C cable (for power, video, etc.). I switch between PCs using the monitor input controls and the keyboard & mouse (which are connected to the screen), web cam, mic & speakers follow the input setting. It works very well.

Top Bottom