• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone using Raspberry Pi with DX3 Pro?

GeorgeWalk

Thanks for the comments. I guess it's time to see how piCorePlayer 6.0 beta is coming along on RPi 4.

I've heard that the Pi4 runs hotter. Is this a problem when just running squeezelite?

I have been running Volumio on Pi4 with a Topping D50s and I haven't had any issues at all. I think the Pi4 changed the USB/ethernet/WiFi hardware architecture and it runs great. Also, no problems with heat. Just make sure you use the heatsinks provided. I don't think Volumio, or audio in general, stresses the CPU on the Pi4 that much.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Thanks for the comments. I guess it's time to see how piCorePlayer 6.0 beta is coming along on RPi 4.

I've heard that the Pi4 runs hotter. Is this a problem when just running squeezelite?
I probably ought to give it a try some time too, but currently using it for other things. Heat shouldn't be a problem running squeezelite, especially since the update a bit back that reduced power usage, but if you're worried just get something like the flirc case.
Just make sure you use the heatsinks provided.
There weren't any heatsinks provided when I bought a Pi 4.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I probably ought to give it a try some time too, but currently using it for other things. Heat shouldn't be a problem running squeezelite, especially since the update a bit back that reduced power usage, but if you're worried just get something like the flirc case.

There weren't any heatsinks provided when I bought a Pi 4.

Yeah, I was thinking of the flirc or other cases I've seen on "Explaining Computers. DOT. COM". In. deed.

The Pi4 is hugely overspec'd for streaming, but hard for anyone else to compete with their economies of scale.

Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

When I received my Pi 4 it came with three small, stick-on heatsinks.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Got my Pi4 (2 day service from pishop.us, very nice). So far I've tested with 24/192, DSD64, and DSD128 files. So far so good, no obvious pops or blips.

I did get the kit with the 3 tiny heatsinks. So far temp runs about 65C.

Last edited:
Top Bottom