• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone using piCorePlayer/Squeezelite/LMS SoX to EQ their headphones?

dahollen

Hello!

My streamer is a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer/Squeezelite/LMS. My sketchy understanding is that every time LMS is started,
SoX (Sound eXchange, the Swiss Army knife of audio manipulation) is invoked and runs the script in the custom-config.conf file.

I have a 'simple' script file that turns down the volume, just as a test. And it works when listening to a flac music file on an SD card plugged into the rPi. It does NOT work for music being streamed by QoBuz ( running on the rPi as an LMS plug-in), my primary way of listening to music.

Here is my test file:

# custom-convert.conf
# EQ Test that lowers the gain (All outputs)

flc flc * *
# FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}
[flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -b 24 -t flac - gain -15.0

Pretty obscure, I know, but any ideas on how to move forward would be appreciated! My AKG K371's arrive in 2 days. :)
Thanks

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It's had a fair bit of coverage in this thread recently, including links to some documentation and a breakdown of what the different bits mean. Your test file only defines conversion for flac sources, so if QuBuz stream in another format you will have to add configs for that format (or formats) too.

OP
D

dahollen

Thank you for your kind reply.

It was from that thread that I was able to get as far as I have. I'm wondering if SoX will work with streamed music. I'm not even sure that music sent between Wifi and USB via QoBuz/USB drivers will be effected by specifying file formats. You've put your finger on my point of confusion.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Also if I'm reading it correctly your filter line is only for input from named files, not from stdin (for passing data between programs without having to write it to a file in between) or URLs. I don't know how the qobuz plugin passes the audio down the chain, but it seems likely it would use one of those rather than using a named file.

OP
D

dahollen

Thank you for directing me to stdin. You were correct and this custom-config.conf test file works for QoBuz streaming!

# I - can transcode from stdin, ie, the first command of the entry accepts input from stdin
# R - can transcode from a remote URL (URL types unspecified)

flc flc * *
# IR
[flac] -cs - - | [sox] -q -t flac - -t flac - gain -15.0

Now if only UPS would appear with my headphones :cool:

Top Bottom