• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone using minidsp SHD with additional DAC

OP
S

spaace

Hmm .. I wish more high end DACs would include the crossover functinality so that this issue wouldn't exist..

I know only of SHD that has dac and crossover functionality. Are there more ?

I do know of some audio processors which are insanely expensive but not regular dacs in shd price range ...

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm .. I wish more high end DACs would include the crossover functinality so that this issue wouldn't exist..

I know only of SHD that has dac and crossover functionality. Are there more ?

I do know of some audio processors which are insanely expensive but not regular dacs in shd price range ...
The dac in the shd is as good as the one in the benchmark dac3. If you want a more expensive solution you can get the shd studio and an okto dac8 pro or an shd studio and two benchmark dac3’s. The issue you are mentioning does not really exist because the shd can correct for any latency delays.

OP
S

spaace

The dac in the shd is as good as the one in the benchmark dac3. If you want a more expensive solution you can get the shd studio and an okto dac8 pro or an shd studio and two benchmark dac3’s. The issue you are mentioning does not really exist because the shd can correct for any latency delays.

Thank you. I guess sticking to the SHD would be the easiest and cheapest option for me here. Iam just sad to see my DAC3 go :)

ps : Never realized multiple DACs of the same type is also an option - that would mean i can get 2 of the latest chinese DAC with the best SINAD and not worry about the delay etc. That way i get a total of 2 XLR out and 2 pairs of RCA too. Is this solution completely kosher?

OP
S

spaace

Reply from the SVS folks

"The SVS SB-2000 Pro Sledge STA-550D amp has 5 ms of DSP latency. So add that to the balanced output speaker channel feed for time aligment. "

Reactions: MCH

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reply from the SVS folks

"The SVS SB-2000 Pro Sledge STA-550D amp has 5 ms of DSP latency. So add that to the balanced output speaker channel feed for time aligment. "
So it sounds like you can add about 4ms to the digital out if you are using the DAC3 or 5ms to the main speakers analog out if you are just using the SHD. This is assuming that the subs are the same distance away from the listening position as the main speakers are. As I mentioned before, this time delay is not really a big deal and you could simply use the phase control to make sure the subs and mains are in phase at 80Hz. You can see this in the frequency response as lack of a dip. Alternatively you can wire your speakers out of phase with the subs, play an 80Hz tone and adjust the phase or time delay until the tone is quietest at the listening position then wire your speakers in phase and run Dirac.

Top Bottom