• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone tried a Revel B10 Sub?

I've just invested in a pair of Revel M16s. Can't comment yet on the sound, as they only arrived today and still boxed. A good deal at £550 (fingers crossed) and that includes the UK's larcenous 20% sales tax. There is a body of opinion here that a good sub will be required and I am not at all familiar with these beasts. I have however noticed a new Revel B10 at £600, which does seem very good value. Anyone had any experience they can share? I assume a good match. I accept that I should try out the M16s first and will do so. But at that price, does the B10 stack up against other alternatives?
I have an aged but excellent Musical Fidelity Dual Mono Integrated amp - do I connect to pre-amp out? Sorry, I was pretty clued up 30 years ago, and this place is now my go-to for unbiased BS-free advice.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's really no "matching" by brand, maybe by aesthetics of the cabinets, and many speaker makers don't offer the better subs available either. That Revel sub doesn't quite qualify as a true sub (it has an f3 at 35hz, instead of 20hz) but might be adequate for much music. It's overpriced for what it is here at USD 1155, but for 600 quid may not be too bad otoh where you are. I'd at least also look at SVS, BK Elec off the top of my head in the UK.

Your integrated amp likely just has a full band sub pre-out and any integration would need to be done with the sub's controls (generally a sub will provide only a low pass filter, altho some can provide a high pass filter for the speakers, maybe some eq....the Revel has a low pass filter and a bit of parametric eq to help out). You could likely get something outboard to help out like a minidsp, tho.

Top Bottom