• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone think desktop systems are underrated?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some 305mkii which I use for playing soft synths and I think nearfield listening is really engaging in a way that normal speakers are not. Anyone else have that experience?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is never particularly convenient for me to listen to a desktop system.
I would be surprised if SQ is of prime importance for background music, though it might as well be good.
I have an old system in my study with Proac EBS speakers but I almost never switch it on, I can't work with music in the background, so I either listen or work!
On the odd occasion I put music on whilst I am at my desk I don't really notice the SQ, though that could be because it isn't bad.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In a way they can be. I would love to have had a nearfield system like a pair of 305s and a source when I was living in a college dorm room. Alas that was a long time ago, and you were more likely to hear Pioneer HPM100's or Cerwin Vegas or JBL L100's driven by a receiver with cassette tape or LP for the source.

1580450234784.png

1580450323783.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
H
In a way they can be. I would love to have had a nearfield system like a pair of 305s and a source when I was living in a college dorm room. Alas that was a long time ago, and you were more likely to hear Pioneer HPM100's or Cerwin Vegas or JBL L100's driven by a receiver with cassette tape or LP for the source.

View attachment 48033

View attachment 48034
Reminds me of the HPM 150s I had in the early 80's. Loved that tweeter thingymajig on top even though the treble on these speakers sucked big time.
1058031-hpm150-hpm1100-or-hpm1500.jpg

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love nearfield listening, it's like a middle ground between speakers and headphones, where room interactions are minimized but not eliminated.

I'm using a pair of Kef Q15 in my nearfield PC setup. Just recently changed out the ferrofluid, and recapped them.

The only downside for me is listening to quiet music, I can hear my PC fans. I just recently swapped out my ball bearing case fans for FDB fans. Problem now is the CPU fan is the loudest fan. I don't really want to swap that to a quieter fan since my summers are brutal even with AC.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I love nearfield listening, it's like a middle ground between speakers and headphones, where room interactions are minimized but not eliminated.

I'm using a pair of Kef Q15 in my nearfield PC setup. Just recently changed out the ferrofluid, and recapped them.

The only downside for me is listening to quiet music, I can hear my PC fans. I just recently swapped out my ball bearing case fans for FDB fans. Problem now is the CPU fan is the loudest fan. I don't really want to swap that to a quieter fan since my summers are brutal even with AC.
I love my 4-200mm and 3-140mm fans. I let them smoothly hum and hiss away because they lull me to sleep @ naptime ;)

bigx5murf

I love my 4-200mm and 3-140mm fans. I let them smoothly hum and hiss away because they lull me to sleep @ naptime ;)

I'm still using a case in my main PC, that I built my PC in college with 18 years ago. It can only take 80mm fans, I've got 5 of them. But the FDB fans are silent even at 80mm, just don't flow as well as loud ball bearing fans. My CPU fan is a 120 mm delta. It's fairly audible even when throttled down.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still using a case in my main PC, that I built my PC in college with 18 years ago. It can only take 80mm fans, I've got 5 of them. But the FDB fans are silent even at 80mm, just don't for as well as loud ball bearing fans. My CPU fan is a 120 mm delta. It's fairly audible even when throttled down.
I was thinking the other day how remarkable things are now compared to back in the day when a 30-35mm monster fan cooled the monster video card and 80mm 55CFM-70CFM fans where only for the fearless ;) The hardcore cut holes in the case over the processor for a 80mm fan...lol ... and now we are overclocking multicore processors to 5GHz, using 200mm fans and that's considered normal. I said when I can OC to 5GHz I get a new pooder and I did.

bigx5murf

I was cutting fan holes in the first PC I built in Jr high. Overclocking that 200mhz Pentium mmx to 233mhz. Blew the savings from my first summer job on a pair of 3dfx voodoo 2.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was cutting fan holes in the first PC I built in Jr high. Overclocking that 200mhz Pentium mmx to 233mhz. Blew the savings from my first summer job on a pair of 3dfx voodoo 2.
Yeah for sure... hehe .. and in some ways I was more immersed then in the pooder operation and 3D games than I am now. I look back and yes I can still play Unreal, Half Life, Duke Nukem and Doom and have a great time. Now the pooder updates are all auto, fixes itself most times on auto and generally is much more relaxed and in some ways it's boring. I liked being on IRC helping peeps sort out troblems and get them up and operating. It was a hobby for me.

Top Bottom