• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone tested the Tannoy Gold 7 or 8s? What's you opinion?

Guacamolly

My gold 8 was defective, i sent it to the distributor and they tested it like a rat lab for the past 2 months.
( cabinet vinyl bubbling and auto on wouldn't turn off the unit automatically, 2 problem on the same unit, big time lemon. )

It needs a new cabinet and the company as no spare for me. They can't tell me when one cabinet will be available. It's been on hold for 2 months already... I still don't have it back home yet.

I wish i never bought this set of monitors, trust me.

Other then the worst after sale service from music tribe and tannoy usa.
It sounds very good but there's resonance.

Cheers

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Guacamolly

At least you enjoy their sound — that’s what mainly counts anyway.
Here’s another opinion: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...noy-gold-8-rew-measurements.14738/post-476262

Although, I would love it if someone took extreme nearfield measurements of the horn - at very high resolution. We might be able to see some ‘possible’ resonances/time smear from horn reflections using a very zoomed-in wavelet spectrograph. Just a theory that I want to confirm.
It has a resonance that i could ear all the time, i taught it was my room, but nope. With my kh120a it disappeared right away. You have to get used to it.

OP
E

EPC

It has a resonance that i could ear all the time, i taught it was my room, but nope. With my kh120a it disappeared right away. You have to get used to it.
Going from the coaxial to the 2 way Neumanns, did you notice any difference in phase?
I’ve flicked between coaxial and 2 way before and the phase was very noticeable

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Very interesting. The Sceptres which also use a horn have no resonance — which I can hear with my own ears anyway. I have also been using the KH120s for like a decade now.

Guacamolly

Very interesting. The Sceptres which also use a horn have no resonance — which I can hear with my own ears anyway. I have also been using the KH120s for like a decade now.

Focal alpha 65 and Neumann kh120a are stellar in my room, gold 8 do resonance in the low mid. A bit annoying when i focus on it.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Focal alpha 65 and Neumann kh120a are stellar in my room, gold 8 do resonance in the low mid. A bit annoying when i focus on it.

Ah, I thought you were talking about the horn specifically. You actually meant the woofer. Got it.

aiken

It is stated that 2 audio sources can be connected to the Gold series monitors simultaneously. Are we talking about simultaneous connection ONLY to balanced inputs? Or can XLR and AUX be connected at the same time? (for example, audio interface and vinyl player)

Top Bottom