• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone tested the Amazon Basics DAC?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all, and a happy new year to you!

Our TV doesn't have analogue audio output and I was considering picking up this dirt cheap little DAC to convert optical to RCA unbalanced line out, powering it using a USB port on the TV.

Has anyone tried this device or measured it?
For it's price, one can't expect too much, but it could just be a train wreck best avoided. My intended purpose was to pop it behind the TV and hook up a pair of PC speakers, to either run in tandem with the 'plastic box' sounding TV speakers or to just replace them altogether.

51Evn3WjjXL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

ASIN: B08L9M4PK5

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
You don't always get what you pay for, but if yo u don't pay for it, you won't get it.

How good would be a fun question. What does a $12 DAC do? I bet a lot more than some think.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hi all, and a happy new year to you!

Our TV doesn't have analogue audio output and I was considering picking up this dirt cheap little DAC to convert optical to RCA unbalanced line out, powering it using a USB port on the TV.

Has anyone tried this device or measured it?
For it's price, one can't expect too much, but it could just be a train wreck best avoided. My intended purpose was to pop it behind the TV and hook up a pair of PC speakers, to either run in tandem with the 'plastic box' sounding TV speakers or to just replace them altogether.

51Evn3WjjXL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

ASIN: B08L9M4PK5
As you say it does not cost that much so you can not expect too much, but still.If, says IF, it makes sense, order. Amazon seems to be quick to raise the prices of some Hifi products.
Examples of this:

I wonder if Simon Giddings is doing something wrong, or if there is a general "popping sund":
(But then many would have said the same thing, if that were the case).

shot_2022-01-01_08-43-05.png

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
You don't always get what you pay for, but if yo u don't pay for it, you won't get it.

How good would be a fun question. What does a $12 DAC do? I bet a lot more than some think.

Larry B. Larabee

tested

Top Bottom