• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone see this train wreck in Stereophile?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
"Impressively high sensitivity."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wow. Yet no obvious conclusions from JA regarding it.
I read that last week when I first got my copy.
Another excellent job by JA to report the measurements and then find a way to dance around having to make any real negative comments.
He thinks of inventive ways to maybe mitigate the top end problems with placement and tube amps that will alter the FR at the top..
Can't throw any dirt on Tom Gibb's rave.
"The ability of Volti Audio's Razz to portray music of any genre with scale, realism, and thrilling dynamics is unmatched by any loudspeaker I've had in my system."

I will say I heard their Rival's at the last Tampa show and thought they sounded nice. ???

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that last week when I first got my copy.
Another excellent job by JA to report the measurements and then find a way to dance around having to make any real negative comments.
He thinks of inventive ways to maybe mitigate the top end problems with placement and tube amps that will alter the FR at the top..
Can't throw any dirt on Tom Gibb's rave.
"The ability of Volti Audio's Razz to portray music of any genre with scale, realism, and thrilling dynamics is unmatched by any loudspeaker I've had in my system."

I will say I heard their Rival's at the last Tampa show and thought they sounded nice. ???

Yeah, Stereophile is a business, so deference to manufacturers / advertisers wins over blunt conclusions. That's why I prefer to donate to ASR rather than pay for a Stereophile subscription.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Roberts used a tape measure to align the centers of the tweeters, then, rather than point the tweeters straight ahead, or directly at my head, or somewhere in between, he pointed the left tweeter at the right, outside edge of my chair and the right tweeter at its left outside edge, so that their axes crossed slightly in front of me."

Nothing to hide here. Carry on. :rolleyes::oops:o_Oo_Oo_O

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, but he let the measurements speak for themselves. Let's say he was respectful of his readership's ability to interpret the graphs. :eek::facepalm:View attachment 73745
People who don't know or care about measurements will ignore and go by the subjective review. People who know how to interpret the measuments will ignore the subjective review. Win-win?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting how the reviewer said nothing about their tonal balance!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

ttimer

"Roberts used a tape measure to align the centers of the tweeters, then, rather than point the tweeters straight ahead, or directly at my head, or somewhere in between, he pointed the left tweeter at the right, outside edge of my chair and the right tweeter at its left outside edge, so that their axes crossed slightly in front of me."

Nothing to hide here. Carry on. :rolleyes::oops:o_Oo_Oo_O
That is actually not suspicious at all. Similar kinds of extreme toe-in are advocated by Earl Geddes and Jorma Salmi of Gradient. This increases the lateral sweetspot while reducing early reflections, particularly for narrow-directivty-speakers.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yeah, Stereophile is a business, so deference to manufacturers / advertisers wins over blunt conclusions.

Yes and no. The magazine I write for has never, ever asked me to hold back on my conclusions and has always backed me when manufacturers complain because what I wrote "won't help us sell this product." (actual phrase used by a speaker company whose product measured and sounded unimpressive)

One can have a commercial enterprise and still act ethically. I admit that in this business, it's the exception.

Top Bottom