• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone knows the frequency response of the Stax L300 Limited edition?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yello's Kiss in Blue beginning has also nice deep bass that one doesn't notice unless bass is good

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Hi @flipflop, I just got back to work and now my Focal Elegia's sound awful compared to the Stax L300 Ltd. :) I looked up it's oratory measurements and they seem to need desperatelly EQ as well. Question: How did you do the 5-band EQ estimation you helped me with the Stax? What software did you use etc?

soundwave76

Forum Donor
So did you just play with the values and compared the slopes visually?

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Thanks for the kind offer! I don’t have an ADI-2 at the office so I will have to do it via software. I am considering either E-APO or Roon. Haven’t looked into either of them yet.

I am happy to hear suggestions which I should use? I am evaluating Roon at the moment with the trial period. I don't listen to my own music files, just Tidal.

Last edited:

flipflop

I don't have any experience with Roon, but I struggle to see how it can be better than Equalizer APO, which is completely free, by the way. Peace GUI is also free and makes the whole experience a lot easier. If Roon's equalizer is anything like that of other audio players, it won't be system wide either, meaning the EQ will only be applied to content within Roon itself.

Since you aren't limited to 5 bands anymore, you can make direct use of the 9 bands EQ profile provided by oratary: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ialbitfdqmx2jr4/Focal Elegia.pdf?dl=0
There is quite a bit of discrepancy past 6 kHz between his unit and the one measured by Rtings, so you might find the profile too bright.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The eq thing and measurements thing......
In short if you are not able to eq by ear to +-1db, eq is likely to fuck up the sound in some way.

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few years ago I was part in a panel for a headphone review. Some STAX models distorted, very audible, below 50 Hz and this sounded quite awful also higher up in fr. I would be heistant to EQ the low range in those headphones.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
A few years ago I was part in a panel for a headphone review. Some STAX models distorted, very audible, below 50 Hz and this sounded quite awful also higher up in fr. I would be heistant to EQ the low range in those headphones.
This means those are broken. Likely to be dust or humidity etc.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This means those are broken. Likely to be dust or humidity etc.

I would not think so. It cannot be that half of those we tested were broken. They are just not good eough at high SPL in the 20-50 Hz region.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I would not think so. It cannot be that half of those we tested were broken. They are just not good eough at high SPL in the 20-50 Hz region.
If that's the case, why there aren't any body talking about it? They simply shouldn't distort at least when not eqed. No matter high spl or not. Many models have superb low frequency extension even. https://www.inexxon.com/stax-übersicht-overview/stax-kopfhörer-headphones/sr-omega/ this website has majority of stax headphones measured. From vintage to newest.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Stax SR5 they measured (KU100) looks a lot like the SR5 I owned

image.jpg

sr5-srd-6.png

I have tried to equalize these as well but gave no satisfying results. It just reduced the max. SPL.

The newer headphones are much better extended (depends on model)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The Stax SR5 they measured (KU100) looks a lot like the SR5 I owned

image.jpg

sr5-srd-6.png

I have tried to equalize these as well but gave no satisfying results. It just reduced the max. SPL.

The newer headphones are much better extended (depends on model)
They use Neumann KU-100 which still isn't technically HATS. There is also pretty big difference around 800-1000hz from yours. I'll post some measurements of l300 and 009 via b&k 4128c (if i can still find the chat history with my friend from moondrop)
But these non coupler based measurement fixtures have much better response after 13.5khz and more after 16khz. Also KU-100 should have very accurate bass to mids response below 500hz. Ku-100 is pre equalized to flat in diffuse field.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's about the low frequency drop off and attempts to compensate for that.

Top Bottom