• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone in US order directly from RME?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was looking to save a few bucks. You can get the adi-2 pro fs r be for about 150-200 savings over buying (at list) here in the US. But, the wild card is the duties that may be added when passing through customs. Anyone have any experience with this and about how much (%) was added. Or just as good, anyone knows of a US based seller with a price less than list? A pm would be appreciated.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
Was looking to save a few bucks. You can get the adi-2 pro fs r be for about 150-200 savings over buying (at list) here in the US. But, the wild card is the duties that may be added when passing through customs. Anyone have any experience with this and about how much (%) was added. Or just as good, anyone knows of a US based seller with a price less than list? A pm would be appreciated.
Try Thomann. They will ship one to GA for $1810 all in.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try Thomann. They will ship one to GA for $1810 all in.
Yah, thats a few bucks less than RME direct, thanks. But, if you buy from them duties are still due, right? There are no difference in duties because they are in UK for US imports right?

Musty

Forum Donor
Yah, thats a few bucks less than RME direct, thanks. But, if you buy from them duties are still due, right? There are no difference in duties because they are in UK for US imports right?
Dunno what purchase taxes/duty are like in USA but if you're exporting from UK you should be able to buy without VAT (purchase tax), which would save 20% off the listed purchase price (prices normally include tax here), which would help, I'm sure.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-retail-export-scheme-notice-704

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dunno what purchase taxes/duty are like in USA but if you're exporting from UK you should be able to buy without VAT (purchase tax), which would save 20% off the listed purchase price (prices normally include tax here), which would help, I'm sure.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-retail-export-scheme-notice-704
yah, but with the exchange rate the way it is currently, that 20% is wiped out as it is 1.41:1
May have to be patient and wait until the dollar rises.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
Drop Thomann a note and ask -- I'm sure this question comes up a lot.

al2002

Forum Donor
I’ve bought several items from Europe and Asia and only had to pay duty once. In that case the duty was low, around 3% of the declared value, IIRC.

A bigger question is warranty status. Would the national distributor repair your unit under warranty if needed, or would you have to send it back to Germany?

European, thats a few bucks less than RME direct, thanks. But, if you buy from them duties are still due, right? There are no difference in duties because they are in UK for US imports right?

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good question on the warranty, that is a risk, for sure.
From the websites i perused, the buyer would be responsible for return shipment regardless of where they bought it. The only difference would be the additional cost to ship it back to EU

al2002

Forum Donor
I‘d estimate it would cost around USD 70-100 to send this back to Germany for repair.

FWIW, when I bought direct from overseas the discounts relative to Stateside prices were substantial. In one case the overseas price, ex-VAT, saved me over 50% on a multi- kilo buck item. The manufacturer was an old-school company offering an international warranty. IMO, it is not worth the possible hassle just to save a couple of hundred dollars.

In the end only you decide for yourself if the savings outweigh the possible risks .

Musty

Forum Donor
OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hah! Should I buy dollars? :-D
Depends upon your timeframe safe response that cannot get me in trouble with the regulators :)
Personally, i would not want to own any currency long term. Its all a race to the bottom with (my stupid guess) the euro getting there first.

Musty

Forum Donor
Depends upon your timeframe safe response that cannot get me in trouble with the regulators :)
Personally, i would not want to own any currency long term. Its all a race to the bottom with (my stupid guess) the euro getting there first.
Looks like sound advice to me. I shall divest myself of all currency by spending it.

Zooqu1ko

I believe duties should be 0%. Your state/local sales tax (or exise tax or whatever) should still apply. UI've looked that up for the Okto DAC, you should be able to run your own duty calculator simulation with the appropriate date and TARIC code: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...kto-8-owner’s-thread.13899/page-6#post-555690

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.
Looks like we have at least a short term uptrend in the dollar here so maybe, some patience is warranted. This will allow me to look further for someone here in the US who will discount and not pull out state taxes.

bigguyca

Thanks.
Looks like we have at least a short term uptrend in the dollar here so maybe, some patience is warranted. This will allow me to look further for someone here in the US who will discount and not pull out state taxes.

Importing Goods from the UK or EU

I've purchased several items from the UK and EU ➖ electronics and other consumer products.

There will be no VAT and no import duties in the U.S. FedEx/UPS will handle customs as part of the shipping charge. Delivery takes a day or two from when the item is shipped.

There is money to be saved and it is somehow fun to get a package so fast from so far away.

You may need the HTS Number although many sellers already understand what information is required. This following has worked for electronics and seems appropriate:

Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2011) CHAPTER 85 (usitc.gov)

Top Bottom