• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone hook up a car amp and passive sub to home theater or desktop?

GrayA

Have any of you hooked up a car amp and passive sub to home theater or desktop? I have a Zapco amp and Infinity Beta sub from an old car stereo setup.

This is what I'm thinking.

Audio signal: Class D Stereo Amp > Zapco Studio 300x Car amp via RCA > Infinity Beta sub via RCA
Power: 12V to 3-wire cable > 12V 30A 360W Power Supply > Zapco Studio 300x Car amp

Class D Stereo Amp: Fosi Audio BT30D Pro (has RCA outs for sub and sub controls). Could also use Aiyama A07 Pro or Fosi Audio BT20A Pro pre-outs/line outs

12V to 3-wire cable:
12V 30A 360W Power Supply
: Something like the eTopxizu 12v 30a Dc Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply 360w https://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer/dp/B00D7CWSCG

Would this work? Anything I'm missing or any suggestions on which Stereo Amp or Power Supply to get?

Or would it better to just get the Fosi Audio BT30D which will send 300w to the sub? The Zapco is rated 460x1 @ 4ohms

Attachments

• 20230429_133906.jpg
    20230429_133906.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 61I2hWYKfAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61I2hWYKfAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 41jyorZ9+QL._AC_.jpg
    41jyorZ9+QL._AC_.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you happen to have the car amp? Just wondering why you would want to do that.

OP
G

GrayA

I guess you happen to have the car amp? Just wondering why you would want to do that.
Correct, I have the amp and sub from a car stereo setup back in the early 2000s. I never installed them in my subsequent cars. Added some pics

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
Fosi Audio BT30D Pro (has RCA outs for sub and sub controls).
The BT30D does not have an RCA output, it only has a 3.5mm Pre Out which is full range and cannot be adjusted with the subwoofer controls (it only works for the subwoofer speaker output).
back.jpg

You have to find some pre-amp that has a volume control on the output for the sub, because the Zapco amplifier does not have any control of the input signal.

Last edited:
OP
G

GrayA

The BT30D does not have an RCA output, it only has a 3.5mm Pre Out which is full range and cannot be adjusted with the subwoofer controls (it only works for the subwoofer speaker output).
View attachment 282432

You have to find some pre-amp that has a volume control on the output for the sub, because the Zapco amplifier does not have any control of the input signal.
Thanks. The Zapco amp does have input voltage switch and gain adjustment:
bfb94a74-4e07-4a34-b46b-1e9290f75131

However, the BT30D Pro pre-out is unaffected by the sub controls so that wouldn't be good.

The BT30D non-pro sub out would work, right? However, that is a TPA3116D2. Can you think of any with a TPA3255?

71ledvIMR3L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Or I could just bypass the Zapco and use the BT30D Pro to power the sub.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Infinity Beta sub
pssssttttt...we can help more if you give us exact model numbers...because searching "Infinity Beta sub" yields a whole bunch of home subs...
- Let me say after years in automotive it is inefficient to use a car amp for a big home setup, not a good idea
- But for a casual setup on desktop or such, sure. I was going to say the cost of the power supply will bankrupt you but those prices seem to have drastically dropped since back when.
- The amp has all the crossovers you need, but it's a two channel amp. It appears you can highpass the L/R from the Zapco and use the output to an additional amp you'd need for the sub. Which if you TELL US THE MODEL NUMBER ;) we could figure the impedance and make suggestions.
- To be clear, somehow you need to end up with adjustable highpass for the L/R, and a separately adjustable lowpass for the sub. Then maybe some spectrum analyzer app on the phone. One criteria for when the crossover is good is that if you reverse the connections to the sub, the middle bass disappears. Use something like this to test and start the volume LOW

OP
G

GrayA

Thanks! I'm using with a Fosi BT30D pro with it and it sounds great! Not using the Zapco amp.

Top Bottom