• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone heard the new Technics 1200-G/GR?

Ambientwks

Heya! I currently own a Bryston BLP-1 turntable, and I love it - but the motor seems to have crapped out and I'm not sure if they will cover it under warranty. I'm sure this conversation will rumble on slowly between Bryston, Gold Note, and PMC (who service Bryston in the UK).

If I do have to replace it, I'd love a high quality but no- nonsense deck, preferably with some decent VTF adjustment. Below £2k probably.

Has anyone heard the above, or have other recommendations? I know about the usual suspects, but if you've had a particularly good experience, I'll be open minded! :)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Heya! I currently own a Bryston BLP-1 turntable, and I love it - but the motor seems to have crapped out and I'm not sure if they will cover it under warranty. I'm sure this conversation will rumble on slowly between Bryston, Gold Note, and PMC (who service Bryston in the UK).

If I do have to replace it, I'd love a high quality but no- nonsense deck, preferably with some decent VTF adjustment. Below £2k probably.

Has anyone heard the above, or have other recommendations? I know about the usual suspects, but if you've had a particularly good experience, I'll be open minded! :)
I haven't, but I am totally confident in their excellence. I do have a bunch of Technics decks including SL1200II, SL1200M3D, SL1200MK5, an SL-1500, SLBD20, and some others. The Blu-ray disk speed controller in the new one is going to be better than anything you can get from another manufacturer. I am a huge fan of SME type bayonet headshells with 52mm overhang. It makes comparing, setting up, and collecting cartridges so fun and convenient. If I didn't have a deck, I'd definitely go for the best SL-1200 for my budget. I will probably get the SL-1200G at some point because the special attention in design, materials, and production are an attractive combination.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a demo of the GR at a show, it was impressive.

Nonick

I've heard Technics 1200G (with art9 cartrisge) paired with Advance Paris myConnect 150 (dont ask) and Sonus Faber Principia 7. I rolled my Queen Live Killers LP and Spread Your Wings, '39, Dont stop me now.
Technics is HEAVY and buffin beautiful. The sound is (subjective impression) without ringing after effect, tight bass and wide soundstage. I especially liked the piano keys impact and accuracy. Dont stop me now intro and '39 felt organic, like it was meant to be on first hearing of this LP.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I have owned a Technics SL-1200GR for a couple years now, and couldn’t be happier. I use multiple cartridges, and one of its strengths is the ability to change out carts fairly quickly. My own opinion is that it is at the sweet spot for value. To do any better, you’d have to spend much more. That’s the good news. The bad news is that it may be difficult to find one in stock right now.
VTA can be adjusted, but not on the fly, which makes comparing settings a bit harder. But still possible

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I've got an older-cheaper direct-drive Techincs turntable. I never had any trouble with it and of course there are no belts to wear-out so IMO direct-drive is the way to go! I don't hear any wow or flutter or rumble... A "better" turntable wouldn't sound better. (Of course a different cartridge would sound "different"... Maybe better or worse depending on the record or my mood.)

It hasn't been used that much in the last couple of decades... Only for occasionally digitizing rare records, but it's reliable and next time I plug it in I'm sure it will be ready-to-go.

Personally, if I was buying something new I'd look for something "similar". I might look for something with a built-in preamp since most receivers no longer have preamps and I might get one with USB (which will always have a preamp) since I would only be using it for digitizing. I wouldn't go too-cheap but I wouldn't spend $1000 either.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I wish you could get a Technics with a 12-in tonearm. I think that’s what they should give you on SL1200G and higher models. Then I’d actually want to buy one. As it is, what you get for your money as you move up the line is not enough to get me to purchase, in part because 1200GR is such an excellent quality product.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My sl-q2 is 40 years old with me, since I was a teenager ... 2 drops of oil every 4 years (more or less). Nothing more. Nada. And rocking at 2 feet from one speaker, without any vibration or problem.

If I'll buy a new turntable .. now with the new 1200s with improved coreless motor, plinth materials, platter dumping, etc ... what do you think I'll do?

Technics direct drive quartz turntables are top in price / performance, from mk7 to the high end SL1000R. Simply choose the best for your wallet.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally doubt the table itself has a sound that's more so than the cartridge involved (maybe the preamp stage but not so much there either). Wonder whose tables Bryston branded before, tho. I'd just skip the vinyl myself.

mike70

Personally doubt the table itself has a sound that's more so than the cartridge involved (maybe the preamp stage but not so much there either). Wonder whose tables Bryston branded before, tho. I'd just skip the vinyl myself.

Do you know vinyl reproduction is totally mechanical? and based on tiny vibrations?
Think about the physics in vibration (platter, motor) and compliance between tonearm / headshell and cartridge resonances... And then (after you think a little) ... tell me again that tt has no "sound".

At the end you say you'd skip vinyl, so maybe that's the reason you don't know much about it, but the final intention is to help the thread owner.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, really? You think in my use of vinyl for over the more than 50 years I've used it I don't know that? Vinyl is just an inferior medium, sorry.

mackat

Forum Donor
I have not heard a 1200G/GR (yet), but I can wholeheartedly recommend them to you based on my experience with other Technics models. I currently own a fully restored SL-1000MK2, an SL-1015, SL-1200MK2, SL-Q2, and a few others. I would be very happy to try out one of the new models myself someday, but the SL-1000MK2 is definitely my end game turntable.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know vinyl reproduction is totally mechanical? and based on tiny vibrations?
Think about the physics in vibration (platter, motor) and compliance between tonearm / headshell and cartridge resonances... And then (after you think a little) ... tell me again that tt has no "sound".

At the end you say you'd skip vinyl, so maybe that's the reason you don't know much about it, but the final intention is to help the thread owner.
Then again I am still using my SL1200mk2....for getting on 40 years. It works. The rest of it in setup, meh

mike70

Wow, really? You think in my use of vinyl for over the more than 50 years I've used it I don't know that? Vinyl is just an inferior medium, sorry.

We're not talking about superior / inferior ... we can't talk about it in other thread ... we were talking about if the TT have influence or not in sound.

The same cartridge in a Technics Sl1000R is other level compared with a Crosley.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We're not talking about superior / inferior ... we can't talk about it in other thread ... we were talking about if the TT have influence or not in sound.

The same cartridge in a Technics Sl1000R is other level compared with a Crosley.
My comments were more as terming things in "listening" of a particular table/arm combo as mentioned.....was trying to be sarcastic as to how little that means.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I wish you could get a Technics with a 12-in tonearm. I think that’s what they should give you on SL1200G and higher models. Then I’d actually want to buy one. As it is, what you get for your money as you move up the line is not enough to get me to purchase, in part because 1200GR is such an excellent quality product.
Well -- you can get one sans tonearm, and add any one you like.
L'il pricey, though.

ast-1242957.png.pub.crop.pc.thumb.640.1200.png

I use a 12 inch A-T on my DD tt... but it's not a Technics. ;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SL-M3 (made from 1984-1988) has a short titanium nitrite linear tracking tone arm with T4P allows easy cartridge rolling (but I have settled on the SHURE 300 ULTRA with NOS Beryllium cantilever as my preferred choice [yes, I have several NOS styli and there will likely be a few left when I pass on]). The only problem I ever had (other than normal cleaning the lube & re-lubing with the factory specified lubricants or equivalent) is the belt that drives the tone arm breaking. Fortunately this is not a proprietary part & is used for some other things & is still available.
SPECS (I could be wrong but I think that the only things better are the SP-10R units):

Specifications​

Type: fully automatic

Drive method: direct drive

Motor: brushless DC motor

Drive control method: quartz phase locked control

Platter: 325mm, 2.5kg, aluminum die-cast

Pitch control: +-6% range

Speeds: 33 and 45rpm

Wow and flutter: 0.022% WRMS

Rumble: -82dB

Tonearm: dynamically-balanced linear tracking

Effective length: 238mm

Effective mass: 13g (including cartridge)

Cartridge: moving magnet

Replacement stylus: EPS-33ES

Dimensions: 526 x 205 x 425mm

Weight: 15kg
technics sl-m3 | Hifi turntable, Turntable vintage ...

mike70

SL-M3 (made from 1984-1988) has a short titanium nitrite linear tracking tone arm with T4P allows easy cartridge rolling (but I have settled on the SHURE 300 ULTRA with NOS Beryllium cantilever as my preferred choice [yes, I have several NOS styli and there will likely be a few left when I pass on]). The only problem I ever had (other than normal cleaning the lube & re-lubing with the factory specified lubricants or equivalent) is the belt that drives the tone arm breaking. Fortunately this is not a proprietary part & is used for some other things & is still available.
SPECS (I could be wrong but I think that the only things better are the SP-10R units):

Specifications​

Type: fully automatic

Drive method: direct drive

Motor: brushless DC motor

Drive control method: quartz phase locked control

Platter: 325mm, 2.5kg, aluminum die-cast

Pitch control: +-6% range

Speeds: 33 and 45rpm

Wow and flutter: 0.022% WRMS

Rumble: -82dB

Tonearm: dynamically-balanced linear tracking

Effective length: 238mm

Effective mass: 13g (including cartridge)

Cartridge: moving magnet

Replacement stylus: EPS-33ES

Dimensions: 526 x 205 x 425mm

Weight: 15kg
technics sl-m3 | Hifi turntable, Turntable vintage ...

Congrats!

mike70

I have read many opinions of owners about the 1200GR in many forums... only good sensations. If you want a new table, go for it.

deniall83

I owned a GR very briefly. It arrived damaged during shipping and a fight with the dealer forced me to send it back for a refund. I would happily buy one again. Build quality is superb and overall was a great product.

I ended up buying an Audio Technica AT-LP140XP for a fifth of the price of the Technics. It's built well and does everything I want a turntable to do. Not Technics quality but I wasn't keen on spending that much anyway.

Top Bottom