• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone heard of episode amplifiers?

Jon.kin96

I can’t find any outlaw 2200 or 2220’s on the used market, so I’m considering something different for my center channel. I can across this episode ea-amp-2d-150a for $160 shipped but can’t seem to find any real reviews or amp Dyno info or anything on it. It claims to push 280 watts in bridged mode into an 8ohm load so I was going to put it on my csi5 with my rti70’s on the outlaw 2200’s that I have and have finally got tuned properly.... I was just curious as to if anyone had any experience with this company or knew anything about this amp in particular to be able to tell me if it’s a good deal and maybe even a sound profile(warm, harsh, empty, etc)

HTDIY

Did you end up getting the Episode amp for your center channel? I just ordered an Episode amp to drive 2 channels. Curious to see what I get!

ugman

You will notice the amp rear panel seems identical to some other class D amp on ebay called current audio 150 something or other which was about 135 shipped recently (I bought one, figure I use chassis for a project if suspect). So it arrived last weekend, heavier than thought knowing it a class D. Looked inside, definitely not impressive looking but it is legit. It's a IRS2092s implementation, like the ones you can get on ebay for 15-20 bucks a channel. They sound decent, solid. Checked voltage rails as this impl uses dual rail power supply, and it's was traditional one with transformer thus why heavier than something like many other modern class D's that use smps power supply. 56 volts which for this chip is around that 80-100/8, 140-160/4. Sometime during lockdown had built out same thing using the 15 buck modules using a leftover transformer from a busted receiver, 200-250VA ish. Sounded same, they do sound pretty good.

Could add post pic which will just turn people off, unimpressive. But you'll get pretty close to the rated power unlike some of those uber compact classD amp boards find on amazon using wall watt to give 100w by 2 but really are more like 25wpc into 8 at top power supply.

Do have a TPA3255 board coming soon that putting with a 600w 48v power supply to see what's got, though trying it out more for sound quality.

If this is another brand skin of the same amp, there are some interesting things about it for diy uses. The power supply/trigger assembly separate from transformer as is the front panel (soft switch power button, leds). The rca input, bridging and amplifier all one board. Can also see chassis provisioned to hold up to 3 of the same transformers, hmmm. Anyway, could chuck the transformer and amp board and stuff other things in there. Consider for moment of juicing the power supply as chip module can handle in the 70-80v rail range, might need to add a low speed silent fan if do that. Bulk up the capacitance, could turn it into a 175/300 into 8/4 doing that, but would be wiser to just get a heavier duty implementation of the irs2092 if were committed to it's sonic character.

rawsonte

Top Bottom