• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone heard any higher end PMC monitors like the twotwo.6?

temps

Because a section of the at least the studio recording world behave like audiofools they venerate unspeakable bad monitors, obsess over badly measuring vintage mics, colour the sound with excessively expensive mic preamps that, wait for it, measure badly and think that the more expensive an AD converter the better it is.

Amir should start a ProAudioScienceReview on the basis it's no use having a great reproduction system if the recording was made on crap.

You have no idea whatsoever what makes for a good recording...

dfuller

Major Contributor
You have no idea whatsoever what makes for a good recording...
There's a large subset of this forum that really straight up does not understand how recording works. We know they're not flat/accurate/whatever. We choose them that way on purpose. Everything's an EQ.

Geekusa

Yeah, there's a reason for that. They're just remarkably crap. Awful frequency response, super messy directivity, super high distortion. I have no doubt they could build good speakers, if they abandoned that stupid transmission line thing in their small box designs.

I think you’re talking about a different model. The distortion on the twotwo8 is non existent. Frequency response is very good. The studio monitors perform well. I can’t say much about their audiophile speakers

Generally because their performance at the low end doesn't inspire confidence

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pmc-twenty-21-bookshelf-speaker-review.14442/

The higher end and soffit mounted stuff is expensive enough as to be difficult to get hold of for testing.

When there are lots of other known excellent designs for much more reasonable amounts of money there isn't the will to determine if the expensive PMC is any better than the cheap stuff.

One thing I have seen over on Gearspace is extremely high failure rates on the DSP boards in TwoTwo and PMC refusing to repair under warranty in some cases.

Not true. That was a miss match between firmware of remote and speaker

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think you’re talking about a different model. The distortion on the twotwo8 is non existent. Frequency response is very good. The studio monitors perform well. I can’t say much about their audiophile speakers
[citation needed]

Geekusa

Yeah, there's a reason for that. They're just remarkably crap. Awful frequency response, super messy directivity, super high distortion. I have no doubt they could build good speakers, if they abandoned that stupid transmission line thing in their small box designs.

waiting for measurements as well on the twotwo series

Somafunk

Major Contributor
PMC two-two 6 review below and PMC two-two 8 below that, not scientifically objective but Warren speaks of them as good for tracking and where they’d be useful in use.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
For some reason they're very popular in the pro audio world

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Who's sending a pair to Amir? ;)
Screenshot_20210912-012527.jpg

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I measured a pair of PCM IB2SE last year.
PMC-se-ib2-se.jpg

That was quite a bit of a shock. Measured the speakers first at various listening positions and in near field. In respect to the customer I'm not displaying the measurements. But the response was very uneven with a raising response towards the treble, low level in the midbass (no baffle step compensation maybe?) and it fell like a stone below 50 Hz. The overall response was basically the opposite of what you want and there was clearly a lack of deep bass.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
View attachment 185370

That was quite a bit of a shock. Measured the speakers first at various listening positions and in near field. In respect to the customer I'm not displaying the measurements. But the response was very uneven with a raising response towards the treble, low level in the midbass (no baffle compensation maybe?) and it fell like a stone below 50 Hz. The overall response was basically the opposite of what you want and there was clearly a lack of deep bass.
Sadly that really does not come as a surprise.
Keith

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sadly that really does not come as a surprise.
Keith
I actually thought there was something wrong with my measuring gear. I didn't know how PMC speakers measured. I had just heard how low in frequency they went because of the transmission line design. And here I was seeing the very opposite besides the response gradually being raised towards the highs.

So I checked the mesurement equipment when I got home with a pair of 2-ways speakers I've built and the gear/measurement was fine. When looking at other measurements of PMC models (the few I could find) I saw they measured in a very similar matter.
The PCM IB2SE speakers are no cheap either!

dfuller

Major Contributor
So I've had the chance to hear the new 8-2s. They also sucked. Weird mids, too much top end.

rpki

Been browsing through the forum last night and joined. This forum is the graveyard of broken dreams :D.
Anyway, I found measurements for the PMC MB2 XBD se
001514.jpg

001514-0.jpg

Outing myself: I got my first pair of PMC, the EB1 at a demo pair price. Was happy for a long time. Then the i series came out, got the MB2i + the center, the EB1 are now my surround speakers. Got everything for a good price.
Ran them first with a beefy US amp but later just got IMG Stageline amps with the Pascal modules.

rpki

View attachment 185370

That was quite a bit of a shock. Measured the speakers first at various listening positions and in near field. In respect to the customer I'm not displaying the measurements. But the response was very uneven with a raising response towards the treble, low level in the midbass (no baffle step compensation maybe?) and it fell like a stone below 50 Hz. The overall response was basically the opposite of what you want and there was clearly a lack of deep bass.

The guys over at Benchmark disagree. No measurements unfortunately.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Marketing puff, PMC lend the speakers Benchmark are hardly likely to say they are poor.
Keith

Top Bottom