• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone have their own private cloud audio streaming service

imnotdrunk

I can't do subscription services and their changing copyrights. I have a couple of decades worth of my old rips + my bandcamp purchases (the best music service aroud for someone like me) + downloads that come with physical media. And I'm not talking about music services that let you upload your own stuff. They will transcode and very likely lose some of my files as well.

And definitely not a service Jeff Bezos has anything to do with, due to personal preference.

The 1TB sub of Icedrive is ALMOST exactly what I need, but I cannot mount and play on android, only on windows.

If someone has a workaround for above, that would be the best news.

I call my service Snotify. Only need access for my 1-2 devices. FLAC and 320 MP3 mostly.

Or alternatively a suggestion for a different cloud service I can stream to my android phone from, without transcoding, DRM checks etc. I don't have a possibility for a personal server in my abode unfortunately.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thanks to a member's suggestions, I have poked around and installed FileManager+ on my Nokia Android 10 phone.

It's smart enough to access my NAS which is really no different to accessing your Icedrive. It can also access remote, from another computer or goes directly into google drive just like a local directory. You can also plug a USB HDD/SSD into your router and stream from that.

Honestly, it's brilliant.

Like you, I have zero interest in streaming- I just want to be able to play my own stuff (be it rips from CDs whatever) locally and with perfect fidelity now and then on my Android device.

Katji

Major Contributor
Last edited:

JeanMiK

Hi

I recently connected a 3Tb external hard drive to a Raspberry PI4 on my home network.
I can access it from anywhere with my smartphone.
Simple and inexpensive.
J-M

MCH

Major Contributor
Fritzbox (very popular in Germany) and other wifi routers allow you to just plug a hard disk drive with your music and use it as a NAS. You just need to install bubbleupnp or something similar in your phone and play in the streamers of your choice. For 0 euros investment :)

Bastia

You do need to have a NAS at home, or perhaps on an old PC or laptop, but Plex has a music player app called Plexamp (iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS, Linux), which kind of does similar things as a streaming service in terms of radio based on artists, albums and songs meta data (and since a week or two they use a neural network to define sonic similarities between artists, songs and albums). But it's all based on your own local library files.
The nice thing (after opening the correct port on your router) is you can stream your own music outside of your home. Like Spotify you can also download files in Plexamp from your server to your local device. For the times when you don't want to waste data or don't have access to it. It also integrates nicely with Apple's Carplay. Only downside is you need a Plex Pass, which is a monthly subscription or a one time fee of €119,99 (but this is an amount I gladly payed for the whole Plex package).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I hope this doesn't come out a "crapping" on the thread. Not the intent, just sharing my point of view.
I do understand the , many issues with commercial streaming platforms and services. I must however say that I am utterly pleased with the superb predictive algorithm of Spotify and the good to decent Roon algorithm. For more than 3 years, I have been listening to a lot of music, much more than before. Spotify and Roon regularly served new music; in the case of Spotify, these are songs, pieces. albums I had no idea or knowledge of, Roon does that to a lesser extent, but does a stellar job of bringing to my attention, pieces I have in my very own library (close to 3000 ripped CDs) that I had completely forgotten or more often didn't even know I had. For the price of those 3 subscriptions (Roon, Qobuz, Spotify) about $40 /month, I am very happy. If a piece is unavailable on those platforms, then I purchase it.

There is certainly interest and a space for what you are doing. Keep it going.

Peace

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi

I hope this doesn't come out a "crapping" on the thread. Not the intent, just sharing my point of view.
I do understand the , many issues with commercial streaming platforms and services. I must however say that I am utterly pleased with the superb predictive algorithm of Spotify and the good to decent Roon algorithm. For more than 3 years, I have been listening to a lot of music, much more than before. Spotify and Roon regularly served new music; in the case of Spotify, these are songs, pieces. albums I had no idea or knowledge of, Roon does that to a lesser extent, but does a stellar job of bringing to my attention, pieces I have in my very own library (close to 3000 ripped CDs) that I had completely forgotten or more often didn't even know I had. For the price of those 3 subscriptions (Roon, Qobuz, Spotify) about $40 /month, I am very happy. If a piece is unavailable on those platforms, then I purchase it.

There is certainly interest and a space for what you are doing. Keep it going.

Peace
Sure those are great services to have if you can afford them, but at 480$/year definitely not for everyone around the globe

HighImpactAV

JRiver Media Center has free private cloud sharing for users called Cloudplay. Due to licensing requirements, you can only upload a playlist and aren't supposed to upload entire albums. However, you can browse and play all playlists uploaded by other users. Only lossless audio tracks can be uploaded. There are currently 4038 playlists and 303,142 tracks. You can use the radio feature to play different genres, such as Rock, and it will play from all the existing tracks that are similar in genre. You can easily share your playlists with other users.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Logitech Media Server can do what you want. You can install it on a PC (Windows or Linux), and it'll act as a server of whatever content is sitting in your local library. Your devices can connect to it remotely and stream from your library. On a Windows PC, there is a free SqueezePlay app that can be used as a player. On Android, there is SqueezePlayer, $5. Not sure if there is something for iOS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Media_Server

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Sure those are great services to have if you can afford them, but at 480$/year definitely not for everyone around the globe

I get through most of the year with free trial subscriptions from Qobuz, Deezer, apple music and Spotify. For the few months where I might be without subscription I have my Flac files on a usb drive.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True...
Icedrive has a deal of 1 TB storage Lifetime for $150... At such price one can develop a personal solution. You lose the prediction and suggestions... though. Music is essential to me, I don't mind paying the rental fees... ;)

Peace

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a Raspberry Pi that runs both a Plex Media Server and Logitech Media Server on DietPi OS. Easy to set up. I have the media files on a NAS but you could also use a USB hard drive.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Been playing music on my phone nonstop streaming from my NAS using JRiver and JRemote for the past 14 hours or so. As a sort of backup I have Synology’s DS Audio setup as well. On my dedicated media PC I mostly use internet radio like RadioParadise etc. I do use Spotify, but I’m not really tied to any online streaming platform.

Joe0429

Bubbleupnp could also access your Google drive directly. Maybe It's the similar way like you used by Icedrive.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I can't do subscription services and their changing copyrights. I have a couple of decades worth of my old rips + my bandcamp purchases (the best music service aroud for someone like me) + downloads that come with physical media. And I'm not talking about music services that let you upload your own stuff. They will transcode and very likely lose some of my files as well.

And definitely not a service Jeff Bezos has anything to do with, due to personal preference.

The 1TB sub of Icedrive is ALMOST exactly what I need, but I cannot mount and play on android, only on windows.

If someone has a workaround for above, that would be the best news.

I call my service Snotify. Only need access for my 1-2 devices. FLAC and 320 MP3 mostly.

Or alternatively a suggestion for a different cloud service I can stream to my android phone from, without transcoding, DRM checks etc. I don't have a possibility for a personal server in my abode unfortunately.
Yes it's called Jrivers

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Been playing music on my phone nonstop streaming from my NAS using JRiver and JRemote for the past 14 hours or so. As a sort of backup I have Synology’s DS Audio setup as well. On my dedicated media PC I mostly use internet radio like RadioParadise etc. I do use Spotify, but I’m not really tied to any online streaming platform.
I have the same setup.

Top Bottom