• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone have opinions on Genelec "The Ones" vs 8000s?

Sycraft

So I have a pair of Genelec 8030s and I love them. Most clean and transparent speakers I've ever owned, only real complaint is that they don't go super low which of course I knew going in to it. I'm thinking about building out surround sound for my setup. The obvious choice is just to get more 8030s (or perhaps something larger for the fronts). However I've looked at "The Ones" and thought about it. They are a looooot more expensive, over double the cost for the same size speaker. Not completely out of my price range, at least if I stay with smaller ones, but man.

Thus what I'd like to know for anyone with experience is how do you like them as compared to the 8000 series and importantly, do you feel they are worth the extra money or not?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same problem but I have 8050’s. I’m going to step up to 8350’s.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find that by the time you get a DAC and room correction, you end up spending as much as you would on the 83XX series. You don't have to -- there are inexpensive ways to do this too. But for people who don't want to spend time putting that together, I find that there is a lot of value in the 83XX series. I ended up with the 8351b because it plays low enough (27 Hz in my room) and doesn't require me to have any other equipment. Plus I only have 1 digital input.

The challenge is in deciding how to hook them into your system because pro audio digital connections are less common on consumer electronics, and it can be confusing to try and figure out the best adapter and input switching approach in a home environment. The other challenge is that Genelec SAM subs are expensive.

Bottom line, I would think more about the entire system and choose based on what you want to accomplish at the system level -- inputs, subwoofer, volume control, integration with other equipment.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me the “Ones” are simply out of my range for the size I need.

The subs do seem a bit pricey but 2600 for a 7360 is doable.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that by the time you get a DAC and room correction, you end up spending as much as you would on the 83XX series. You don't have to -- there are inexpensive ways to do this too. But for people who don't want to spend time putting that together, I find that there is a lot of value in the 83XX series. I ended up with the 8351b because it plays low enough (27 Hz in my room) and doesn't require me to have any other equipment. Plus I only have 1 digital input.

The challenge is in deciding how to hook them into your system because pro audio digital connections are less common on consumer electronics, and it can be confusing to try and figure out the best adapter and input switching approach in a home environment. The other challenge is that Genelec SAM subs are expensive.

Bottom line, I would think more about the entire system and choose based on what you want to accomplish at the system level -- inputs, subwoofer, volume control, integration with other equipment.
Does the pure digital hookup really make a difference ?? I think you’re into anal tweaks at that point.

azzy_mazzy

I agree with MZKM. i would test the 8030 to see if they have enough SPL for you, preferably with a HPF at 80Hz if you are going to use a subs (you should). movies are generally far more dynamic than popular music. i seen some members have issues with going active for HT but its fine if you know what you need.

azzy_mazzy

Does the pure digital hookup really make a difference ?? I think you’re into anal tweaks at that point.
it helps you avoid the ADC in the speakers but I'm highly doubtful that it makes an audible difference in non edge cases scenarios and everything can make a difference if you believe hard enough.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sycraft

Hookups wouldn't be an issue, at least for one pair. This isn't a home theater system, it is my computer system. The plan would be to feed them off my RME UCX II which has an AES output. However it also handles the DAC part having 8 of those.

I don't know about doing room correction as my though was if I got the coaxial monitors it would be for front L/R only. It would be pretty expensive to do the whole system with them, and it would mean I wouldn't get to reuse the 8030s I already own.

I was also not planning on using a Genelec sub due to their cost but I suppose I could reconsider if there was a real good reason.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think there is an audible difference between analog and digital inputs. But it avoids having to have a DAC which saves money and makes for a cleaner installation.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me the “Ones” are simply out of my range for the size I need.

The subs do seem a bit pricey but 2600 for a 7360 is doable.

Price wise for that money you could get one of the highest end Rythmik subs, either two opposed 15" drivers or an 18", about three times larger and significantly more output. I got my 7271 used and I like it because it integrates perfectly with my 8260 speakers, but as soon as there are cheaper units with Dirac Live Bass Control I may move towards others.

Why pay $2600 for something that is barely a subwoofer at 10" when you could have a dual 15" subwoofer or a massive 18" Rythmik for the same price with more extension and volume?

I wish Genelec sold something you could plug other subs into to make them work with GLM. Something like a four channel XLR MiniDSP that costs less than $200 to make, and they could sell it for $2000.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I do, the Ones are absolutely absurdly better.

Top Bottom