• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone have a suggestion for an audio player for Windows?

Sycraft

I've been a long time Winamp fan, because I like the tiny interface that sits up in the corner of my monitor, but lets face it: It isn't getting developed anymore. So I really should find something newer. Thus I'm looking for recommendations.

Requirements are that it can play MP3, FLAC and WAV files and isn't garbage :)

Nice to have would be the ability to play MLP files and to extend to play other formats. A small Winamp like interface would also be nice. Finally WASAPI exclusive or ASIO output would be nice.

I'm willing to pay for it, doesn't have to be free, though I won't say no to free either.

Thanks.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use foobar2000. It has pretty decent plugin support, including a decoder for dvd audio.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m pretty happy with JRiver. I’ve tried some others, and always end up coming back to it. It’s flexible, and does everything I want it to, and a lot more. I’ve never tried Foobar though, so for all I know that may be better.

JRS

Major Contributor
There is something to be said for an all around media player--VLC. It can play practically any format as well as CD, DVD. etc. Also will support your Win Amp 2 skins. Not sure how it's cataloguing functions are, but it doesn't track you the way win media play and google Groove do, and Ahem, allows playback of some encrypted files.

Also it doesn't support the Matlab based VST plug-ins that Foobar will do (filters, EQ, convolution), but the only one I use is APO EQ which can be made global across all inputs (unlike Foobar which requires set-up for You Tube, etc, etc on a case by case basis IIRC). Anyhow just a thought if you have any use for video player as well.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
VLC doesn't support gapless audio playback so would not be a great choice for many people.

OP
S

Sycraft

I'll have a look at both Foobar and JRiver. Do either of them have a way to get a compact interface like Winamp offers? That's not a deal breaker, but I rather like it.

Triliza

Forum Donor
As others have suggested, foobar is a good choice. It's well maintained, it gets updates now and then, and has quite some components for installation to choose from. The only problem with it that it's not very pretty to look at without installing a theme. If you give it a try, I'd suggest after you have familiarize yourself with it, to install a theme, this one is what I am using, it has a good looking compact mode too (all buttons in it have multiple functionality):

https://github.com/Ottodix/Eole-foobar-theme

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find Jriver better than foobar. They are both clunky in their own rights but much prefer jriver. While not expensive its not free so that may be a factor that is important to you.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MusicBee is pretty good...

https://www.getmusicbee.com/

I'm also enjoying PlexAmp for Windows, but you'll need to host your music on Plex to use this. It has a nice, phone like, interface for keeping in the corner of your screen...

1635200026190.png

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’ve only ever used VLC on RPi. I have to select each and every track I want to play individually. Can’t just one-click play an entire album. PITA for classical. Is there a way to play an entire folder?

Zoomer

JRiver has a loudness feature which is an indispensable feature for me when listening at lower volumes. However, I don't get along with its outdated and overloaded interface, so I mostly use Foober to output to JRiver. Musicbee is also definitively worth a look if you're looking for a new player and has a more modern and less spartan feel than Foobar, while still being very customizable.

JaccoW

I have always really liked the playback view in Groove but I have been looking for alternatives as well. Foobar, Winamp and VLC just look like a Win95 app with a shiny skin on top of it. Ugly album gallery as well.

I'm getting used to MusicBee but so far it looks like it does most of what I want it to do. Lots of options and the theatre mode is good for full-screen viewing as well. Gapless playback, auto gain levelling and you can even use WinAmp plugins.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I have been using Media Monkey for some years.... and am considering JRiver for my Video collection....... but for music I have always preferred Media Monkey

Top Bottom