• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone has got or had an experience with ultra near field listening?

OP
UltraNearFieldJock

UltraNearFieldJock

... but retaining the phantom scene projected in front of you. But all this has some limit, if positioned extremely close, then the phantom scene goes up to your head and if even closer it gets then inside your head, losing the front projection effect, which in my opinion it's not desirable.
Yes, this problem (stage) was for me the main reason to make experiments with ultra-near-field. But not caused by my living-room setup. I find my standard living-room-setup good enough - naturally in the frame of costs, efforts and possibilities – it makes a lot of fun. But I never haven’t got unfortunately enough free time to sit workless and listen to the music :-(. And when I have, it's too late in the night to listen loud enough – I live in a flat. Due to this, I was very long time an enthusiastic headphone listener. But one time (for more then 2 years) I said enough – I will have a more real phantom-stage, and not a one in the middle of my had! And I started to experiment. And now I’m writing this post, is 01:25 am and I’m listening to the music in the quality, loudness and phantom-stage, it really satisfied me – without any thing in or over ears. And tomorrow ours main aspect: the phantom-stage-issue.

Last edited:

jonfitch

This is really where coaxials shine, because anytime you shift your head nearfield it causes a huge shift in terms of listening axis. I think this is why historically 3" drivers has been the sweet-spot for cheap desktop speakers because it was the easiest way to achieve wide and uniform directivity.

JeyB

I’ve never heard in my experiments such effect. My supposed explanation: Currently I have got two ultra-near-field setups: One based on headphones-speakers (5 cm distance) and other one based on fullrange speakers (Visaton B80 - 25 cm distance) – both are only “quasi-fullrange” – lack of (or very week) bass section! The supplementary bass speakers are perhaps very difficult to localise – the same effect why subwoofers placement has no effects for the listening-stage.
Understood. It's logical then that you don't experience this issue due to full range drivers employed in both of your setups. From your photos I thought it was one only setup, but they are two different ones, ok. In my own setup I'm using an acoustically small dipolar 4 way system. The LX521 top baffles have three way, with low mid driver, upper mid driver and tweeter arranged vertically. The driver's full integration is produced at about 70 or 80 cm from my ears. If I sit closer than that distance, then it's easy to differentiate which frequencies come from each driver. On the other hand, in low frequencies where wavelenghts are big compared to the driver's diameter it's impossible to locate the physical position of the woofers.

So your subwoofers are over your head, close to ceiling. Do you use the same xover frequency for both of your systems? I suppose that Visaton B80 reach more in the low mids than HE500 (even at 5 cm)

JeyB

Room effects liberation: has for me two aspects: one (for me perhaps secondary and more a side-effect) is the listening more what is in the recording.
In the standard room setup is the “deep-bass-section-quality” (frequency-linearity, accuracy (THD) and deepness (20 Hz and deeper) ) very difficult (and/or expensive) to achieve. With UNF(ultra-near-field)-setup I can hear deep bass signal without any room-modes – like by a good IE-headphones.
I suppose that in UNF setup the low frequencies have a so small in-room spl that they can't develop any room mode excitation but still you listen lots of low fequencies at 25 cm or 5 cm distance. Also logical.

In my approach, i've solved the room modes with dipolar bass radiation pattern, opposing both subwoofers at 50 cm from my ears, they cancel all room modes due to inverse polarity of waves. If I turn 90° any of the bass bins then I can hear all the standing waves rumbling in my listening room. If both subwoofers are aligned at 180° they kill all the room modes. Both subwoofers need to be very close one to each other, in any other case the trick doesn't work. True directional bass.

This is the measured effect in my listening room for standing waves. After&before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220929-032241_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220929-032241_Gallery.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
UltraNearFieldJock

UltraNearFieldJock

Please play this song by Karajan and Wiener Philarmoniker from Bizet's Carmen opera, recorded live and try to describe what you hear:
Normally I’m not a big fan of opera, but this recording is indeed very good! Sorry, this evening I can’t write any more, I’m in Vienna in the Opera in Salzburg by the Festspielen in 1967! ;-).

Last edited:

JeyB

Normally I’m not a big fan of opera, but this recording is indeed very good! Sorry, this evening I can’t write any more, I’m in Vienna in the Opera in Salzburg by the Festspielen in 1967! ;-).
Understood. Hehe :) Back in time

OP
UltraNearFieldJock

UltraNearFieldJock

To clear, here the newest photos of my UNF setups (sorry for the shabby-look, but they are perhaps not the finish-versions :) ):

Setup1 (HE500 + AL180 + Epique180, the Becherovka is not a part of the setup!) with a stereo-viewer to better show the position of my head. Stereo-photos with a visual-virtual-scene and the depth-dimension are my other big obsession :cool: .

IMG_3597.JPG

Setup2 (B80 + Mivoc-Sub)

IMG_3594.JPG

And here my little subjective statement about virtual-listening-scene:

virtual-scene.jpg

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is really where coaxials shine, because anytime you shift your head nearfield it causes a huge shift in terms of listening axis. I think this is why historically 3" drivers has been the sweet-spot for cheap desktop speakers because it was the easiest way to achieve wide and uniform directivity.

I think that's one reason I like my Thiel speakers so much. They use coax mid/tweeter drivers, sound incredibly coherent, and they maintain that aspect whether I move further or closer to the speakers. (I often like a closer-than-average seating distance, down to 6 feet or so, and they hold up great. I also auditioned Devore O/96 speakers which are a two way with a big 10" driver and tweeter, and though I liked the sound it really started to fall apart at anything closer than 8 feet).

OP
UltraNearFieldJock

UltraNearFieldJock

In my approach, i've solved the room modes with dipolar bass radiation pattern, opposing both subwoofers at 50 cm from my ears, they cancel all room modes due to inverse polarity of waves. If I turn 90° any of the bass bins then I can hear all the standing waves rumbling in my listening room. If both subwoofers are aligned at 180° they kill all the room modes. Both subwoofers need to be very close one to each other, in any other case the trick doesn't work. True directional bass.
Yes, it's a very interesting solution with 2 or more subwoofers also for a living room. I've never tried this but I will do. In UNF-case it's not necessarily.

OP
UltraNearFieldJock

UltraNearFieldJock

I think that's one reason I like my Thiel speakers so much. They use coax mid/tweeter drivers, sound incredibly coherent, and they maintain that aspect whether I move further or closer to the speakers. (I often like a closer-than-average seating distance, down to 6 feet or so, and they hold up great. I also auditioned Devore O/96 speakers which are a two way with a big 10" driver and tweeter, and though I liked the sound it really started to fall apart at anything closer than 8 feet).
6 feet is 183 cm: it's my living room situation! My living room is only 4 x 6 m :-( . I used to live in the EU not in the USA!

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well, buy two of these...Costs hardly..nothing..Place them near your ears. Test.:D

Conclusion:

This driver has an incredible bandwidth for its size. This driver literally fits in my palm yet should have no problems playing from 300-400hz (with a proper high-pass; listener dependent) all the way up to 20khz without issue. Cone breakup is practically non-existant with only a hint of breakup at 18khz. THD is very, very low given its size. At 96dB output the 3% THD mark is about 300hz; Above 500hz the THD is < 1%. Use this with a high-pass filter and most shouldn’t have an issue crossing down to 400hz. At 30 degrees off axis the response is down 3dB and at 60deg off axis the response is 7dB down at 10khz. Those numbers are on par with some of my favorite 1 inch tweeters. I’m very impressed. Of course, all this comes at a cost and the cost here is: sensitivity. On average this driver runs about 77dB at 2.83v/1m. Bummer. Compression testing would benefit me here but since I have nothing to A/B it against, I’m gonna let it stand. Of course, a high-pass filter also remedies compression to a good degree and since I don’t expect someone listening to this driver at high output near Fs, I suspect compression issues will be fairly inconsequential.

Naturally people will compare this to the AuraSound 2″ driver (aka: the “whisper”). While the whisper has approximately 4dB higher sensitivity on average, this driver has a lower Fs, low THD, and an excellent polar response. I don’t believe the whisper can cover the same bandwidth as well as this particular Tectonic Elements driver can.

At their current retail price of about $9/each, they’re worth trying out if are even remotely interested. My biggest hangup with them is the very low sensitivity but if that’s not an issue for your specific needs, it’s hard to not recommend them when used with a reasonable high-pass filter. They’d also make some neat “project” speakers (something like a personal bluetooth boombox or some other DIY-type project).

This also seems like a nice candidate for an array to gain some extra SPL.

Edit:
This with bass, time delay, since extra bass modules are needed, I'll leave it at that. Those who engage in this type of ultra near field listening will have to figure it out for themselves, of course ask those with experience about it.:)

It might not even be suitable with a pair of TEBM35C10-4 for ultra near field listening? I do not know.

Last edited:
OP
UltraNearFieldJock

UltraNearFieldJock

Well, buy two of these...Costs hardly..nothing..Place them near your ears. Test.:D
I think it's a very good idea to try it! But I'm not sure if this will succeed. I made more tests and experiments with similar 6-7€ speakers, VISATON FR 7. But the result was for me not satisfying. I think in DIY-domain the most important thing is the motivation: The source of it is any privation, desire, "unhappiness". The target is to make something for us more suitable, more satisfying, and sometimes technically better, cheaper or simply because not available as a product on the market. The way from the source to the target consists from our inspirations, ideas, how know, trial and error, craftsmanship etc... At the end we ourselves decide, if the target is achieved. For me is the target achieved: My UNF setup is for me much better solution as any headphones I have/had and as my living room setup. Why? The reasons are obvious: natural virtual scene (not in head, head rotation change direction etc...), base up to 16Hz (no room modes), moderate room sound level (family and neighbors friendly, even 2:00 am), and my ears and head are free from any piece of foreign matter and pressure. Sometimes I use the UNF-setup1 more than 10 hours a day, and I'm really fascinated. But I won't be misunderstood, this thread is not any agitation for UNF. I hope, it could be an inspiration, but not more - and even when you/somebody is any degree motivated!

Last edited:

hex168

Tectonics makes a drive optimized for ultra-near-field. This was designed for off-ear VR headsets:

Bending mode transducers are quite different from fullranges like the Visaton. Might be worth a try.

OP
UltraNearFieldJock

UltraNearFieldJock

Here are my newest measurements of the UNF-setup1. You can see, I like base! It is only the left channel. I placed the UMIC microphone exactly where is normally my left ear by the listening. What do you think about? It could be better with DSP. But currently, I use DSP only for sub bass channel < 100 Hz.

Pico Basso 1.jpg

Pico Basso 2.jpg

Top Bottom