• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone has a Yamaha THR-10 or THR-5 for Amir to test?

Damian

Hello,

The Yamaha THR is a guitar amp that can be connected to PC via USB, it can then be selected as audio input/output and has a headphone 1/4 inch out.

It would be interesting if someone in USA could lend one to Amir for testing, it would be interesting to know how the unit performs. I'm on the other side of the pond so it would be very expensive for me to ship it.

Cheers!

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be honest, I think it might be a bit of a waste of effort to measure this device for that purpose as it clearly isn't designed as a high quality USB DAC, but rather something to jam along to as backing or as a radio in the room.
I'm not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be tested, but people's time could be better spent on other equipment.

OK, so being less negative and moody. These look like fun products for bedroom guitar players. I gave up looking for quiet practice amps long ago and ran a Line 6 POD through a PC or directly to some active monitors. The old Line 6 Flextone amps were too big and had to be turned up a bit to make them sound better, and then it was too loud in the room. Andertons music do a couple of videos on youtube addressing this. I get the point that hearing your strings over the amp can just kill the feel, but one has to be realistic at home - there are no 'real' amplifiers on the planet that can be turned up for any kind of dirty sound and used at home quietly - one has to resort to modelling and then handle that output.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Perhaps @LTig would be interested in measuring it if it was sent to him.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
I figure that guitar amps are not designed for fidelity. If anything, they're designed to distort. Which is why tubes are widespread among guitar (and bass) amps. Many artists are looking for that overdriven sound effect.

L5730

I figure that guitar amps are not designed for fidelity. If anything, they're designed to distort. Which is why tubes are widespread among guitar (and bass) amps. Many artists are looking for that overdriven sound effect.
In all fairness to the OP, these products are not normal guitar amps at all.
What they are is a 'tuned' portable powered speaker with a guitar amp modeller built in. The job of the amplifier and speakers is to do a good job of letting the sound of the modeller work well. It's definitely not anything like a regular guitar amp be it solid state or valve.
The USB is for editing settings that can't be done on the device itself (compressor, gate) as well as recording to a DAW. Playback can also be done (treating the product like a DAC, with active speakers).

These are quite cool products. I think we are going to very surprised if the DAC quality is anywhere near as good as standalone products or cheap interfaces. It's probably a bit like a low end Steinberg (Yamaha/Line 6) USB interface thrown in.

OP
D

Damian

It does sound a muddier than my Burson but there is plenty of power. It also has stereo speakers.

My point is, these products could replace a dac/amp combo for people that play guitar, I just want to know how decent they are.

Moxxy

I want to know too. I registered here for the sole purpose of telling this.

My headphones broke around black friday and I never did buy new ones since. Because I want something that doesn't break and sounds like heaven this time around. And one shop was closed so I couldn't compare prices between 2 competing brands and models..
When I could compare prices after new years, the black friday and end of year sales deals were off the table and the shop that opened after new years were even more expensive than their own retailers. It's hard to explain the problem but basically I got %€#" like cartman by his mom. One of the most "that didn't go the way I expected"-moments of my life. I really feel ripped off.
Money is scarce so I can't buy everything on the market to test it. Where I live there's not many stores to try headphones either. And I missed out on quite a few nice second hand deals with "cheap" HD 6xx, DT 1990 pro, DT 770pro all impedances, HD650 because I didn't know what amp/Dac to get in time or if they would work as intended with my audio output devices without headphone amp/Dac.

3months without decent headphones is a tough time.
I don't want to waste more money by buying more garbage before getting the good stuff.
I was just about to bid asking price of 250$ on a MSRP 500$ Beyerdynamic A20, but then realized I have a THR 10 V1 on my desk, gathering dust, I think is awesome for the purpose I bought it for.. but could it also work as well as all the amp/dacs in the audiophile jungle?
..and improve my budget for the headphones?

Definitely a worthwhile question, even for non guitar players who want good audio on a budget.
I believe I bought my THR 10 used "as new" for something like 100-150$ when it was released years ago.
and most dedicated headphone amps/dacs I've seen audio geeks recommend and review for high impedance headphones costs way more than 250$.

OP
D

Damian

I want to know too. I registered here for the sole purpose of telling this.

My headphones broke around black friday and I never did buy new ones since. Because I want something that doesn't break and sounds like heaven this time around. And one shop was closed so I couldn't compare prices between 2 competing brands and models..
When I could compare prices after new years, the black friday and end of year sales deals were off the table and the shop that opened after new years were even more expensive than their own retailers. It's hard to explain the problem but basically I got %€#" like cartman by his mom. One of the most "that didn't go the way I expected"-moments of my life. I really feel ripped off.
Money is scarce so I can't buy everything on the market to test it. Where I live there's not many stores to try headphones either. And I missed out on quite a few nice second hand deals with "cheap" HD 6xx, DT 1990 pro, DT 770pro all impedances, HD650 because I didn't know what amp/Dac to get in time or if they would work as intended with my audio output devices without headphone amp/Dac.

3months without decent headphones is a tough time.
I don't want to waste more money by buying more garbage before getting the good stuff.
I was just about to bid asking price of 250$ on a MSRP 500$ Beyerdynamic A20, but then realized I have a THR 10 V1 on my desk, gathering dust, I think is awesome for the purpose I bought it for.. but could it also work as well as all the amp/dacs in the audiophile jungle?
..and improve my budget for the headphones?

Definitely a worthwhile question, even for non guitar players who want good audio on a budget.
I believe I bought my THR 10 used "as new" for something like 100-150$ when it was released years ago.
and most dedicated headphone amps/dacs I've seen audio geeks recommend and review for high impedance headphones costs way more than 250$.

Why don't you try your headphones in the amp if you have it? For me is sounds warm and not as well defined as my other amps (Burson and THX 789).

Top Bottom