• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone find it far more rewarding listening to real physical CDs on a CD player, rather than using FLACs? And why do you find this?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can't do a DBT with what I have, don't have the technical means. OP question asks for an opinion, not a conclusion drawn from testing involving technical research.

Do you understand the English language now?
The OP asked if they found it more "rewarding", in it's self asking if the physical act makes you "feel better" about things, LP uses claim this.
If he made a statement that CD's "sound" better than flacs, he would have been pressed for technical proof since flacs are lossless compression and if done correctly sound exactly the same.
Do you understand the difference?

Robin L

Master Contributor
The OP asked if they found it more "rewarding", in it's self asking if the physical act makes you "feel better" about things, LP uses claim this.
If he made a statement that CD's "sound" better than flacs, he would have been pressed for technical proof since flacs are lossless compression and if done correctly sound exactly the same.
Do you understand the difference?
Don't you have something better to do? I've already said, multiple times, I don't have the means or desire to do such a test. In order to be meaningful it would require multiple participants. Someone else with the means can do the the test. So just stop, you're getting nowhere. Yeah, I find file based playback more rewarding. Satisfied?

Last edited:
OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

I recently read a review of a turntable that takes 12 seconds to get up to 33-1/3 rpm.

I've also read about certain CD players that take even more time before pushing play happens.

In each case I show very little interest in the product.

However I still think those two products beat the snot out of file search and management that seems to be the mainstay today.

I just do not view adding complexity to my life as enjoyment.

I guess one could teach a monkey to play an LP or CD, can the same be said of today's technology?
A single CD is large enough to store most symphonies, in which case the pause between changing CDs is usually something desirable. The problem is on the budget multi CD sets, when they store different movements of symphonies across different CDs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I guess one could teach a monkey to play an LP or CD, can the same be said of today's technology?
Is there something in that that's either a pro or con for any of them ???

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
No interest in anything other than physical media for me. I've got a house full of computers, NAS servers and everything else that can be connected is connected. For movies in my collection, they are all sitting on my NAS and can be watched by any device. But movies are different- you pick one and watch it through, then go to bed.

Music listening is a completely different kettle of fish. I never listen to music in the background. Not in the car, not in the house, nowhere. It gets my full attention or none. Nowhere in between.

The physical interaction, perusing my music collection, pulling out old favourites and ones I never really persisted with at the time is rewarding. The overall quality of the entertainment experience is superior to me. Basically, after experimenting with file based or streaming, I have zero interest in it going forward. My collection of CDs is now several thousand, perhaps 5,000+ not sure.

Turntables, cassette decks, open reels, DATs all get a go.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Turntables, cassette decks, open reels, DATs all get a go.
Hey John, long time no see. Good to hear from you, hope all's been well with you and yours thru these scary days!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hey John, long time no see. Good to hear from you, hope all's been well with you and yours thru these scary days!

All good here mate- thanks. I've been looking after my parents (in their late 80s) through this, doing all their shopping and various jobs so they could stay home safely. Also using the time to get through a large backlog of repairs and restorations at my place. I even tidied up my listening room...

Glad you are all well too. :)

Get a hearing test

Sounds like nietzsche philosophy to me. The more suffering or arbitrary obstacles you have or put between yourself and the object of your desire, the more rewarding it is to finally have it. Its basic human psychology. We dont find it more rewarding, it is more rewarding because of how we're wired. You can apply that in your life. For example you dont get to eat unless you exercise before hand. Makes the food that much more savory and makes both the exercise and eating a better experience than either thing by themselves.

Last edited:

denydog

I don't like playing CDs anymore. Don't listen to anything that spins since putting together a fan-less NUC server with SSD storage. Both the CD player and the NUC are digital electronics, but I don't see the physical media spinning of the CD player as adding anything to the listening experience. It only adds complexity, and some degree of noise/vibration.

I'm still evolving. A year ago I was dead set against streaming services, because I felt it would cheapen the listening experience, and the "value " of my music library. Now half of my listening is via Tidal & Qobuz.
I do set up my turntable once in a while for nostalgia.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The more suffering or arbitrary obstacles you have or put between yourself and the object of your desire, the more rewarding it is to finally have it.

It strikes me that applies to file-based guys much more than physical media guys. In my experience computers are the very definition of suffering and arbitrary obstacles.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It strikes me that applies to file-based guys much more than physical media guys. In my experience computers are the very definition of suffering and arbitrary obstacles.

Ha, the same thought came to my mind! Ripping and tagging and organizing my CDs? Now THAT was seemingly endless agony!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The more suffering or arbitrary obstacles you have or put between yourself and the object of your desire, the more rewarding it is to finally have it. Its basic human psychology.
Humm, maybe, Could also be that the more obstacles you put up, the less inclined you may be to participate??? Procrastination is also basic human nature. ;)
Ha, the same thought came to my mind! Ripping and tagging and organizing my CDs? Now THAT was seemingly endless agony!
It can be a LOT of work, but I can do it while listening to the files at the same time, and I only have to do it once for each CD. Got to go thru the cleaning ritual of stylus and LPs for each and every use. BLAH

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every time I think about spinning vinyl, CDs, or Nietzsche philosophy I just knock back some ethanol and let the air waves flow.

Get a hearing test

Yeah, for some 3 clicks and some scrolling is bad enough. Some has to have some ritual of browsing a collection, picking a media of their choice, then reading the backside then the whole shebang of putting it in the device... playing it AAAAND then possibly moving 10 feet back to the couch. They unconsciously like the extra hardship and clunky process. Not me, i prefer foobar and flacs at a moments notice.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
but I don't see the physical media spinning of the CD player as adding anything to the listening experience.

You'd love the 1st generation vertical CD players- they look extremely cool spinning away. :)

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, for some 3 clicks and some scrolling is bad enough. Some has to have some ritual of browsing a collection, picking a media of their choice, then reading the backside then the whole shebang of putting it in the device... playing it AAAAND then possibly moving 10 feet back to the couch. They unconsciously like the extra hardship and clunky process. Not me, i prefer foobar and flacs at a moments notice.

After Tidal, I don't even open my foobar often enough. Mostly because I lost my FLAC collection 2 computer switch ago.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

At least the right metadata stays with the albums, even for classical ;-)

Personally I get a bit sick of interacting with computer screens and mobile devices all day. To be able to totally unplug when listening to music and forget digital life is a big attraction.

F1308

Major Contributor
I cannot understand all the mess I am reading about spinning things and having to move from the couch or even make good your way all along three clicks...to hear music?

Don't tell me your hardware does not have MU installed...?
It is 2021. Well, almost.

MU will arrange the world around you [limited to 100 ft, 30 meters for version 2.12313081961ZdM, more updates coming soon] on the basis of everything you happen to think of.

Yes, Mind Understanding will open the door if you wish so after someone pressed the door bell, wil send the robot vacuum as soon as you think it is required, will send a message asking for milk as you think you should go for more, will trigger the song you want to hear and will ....well, avoid the mess and bother of having to do anything but thinking.

Latest version also includes a testing facility. Oh,yes.
You simply think it will be good and nice if Tannoy Revolution XT 6 will show its spinorama and here it comes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom