• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone find it far more rewarding listening to real physical CDs on a CD player, rather than using FLACs? And why do you find this?

F1308

Major Contributor
Are you saying you play a version of Carmina that mixes movements from different performances?

They send you to classical music hell for that when you die...

Hell does not exist. I always thought it existed, but not any more.
If it does, how is it that so many said so much about those horrible flames while none warned us about no Wi-fi coverage there ?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I'm a physical media kind of guy myself. I'll grant you that it's a bit inconvenient to look through the discs on the shelf and put them back away when finished. However, that's better than sifting through a bunch of folders and files. Discs are also more car-friendly as well.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not particularly. I do still play some discs I can't rip but that's about it these days. Vinyl occasionally. No magic for me in handling a plastic disc particularly. Don't spend a lot of time with liner notes after initial purchase either.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Discs are also more car-friendly as well.
That won’t be true in the future I’m afraid. My current car (a 2018 Honda Accord) does not have a CD player. I use Apple Car Play almost exclusively for music. I am a devotee of the little plastic discs, but my car is the one place I’m happy not to have to deal with them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Addressing this point only: you could scan the liner notes then read them on your preferred display. Yes, this would entail more work initially. OTOH, you could blow them up on your display to a size much greater than the ~4.75" square pages you get with your CD liner notes, making them much easier to read. If like me you're in the reading glasses required club, this would be a plus. Tactile sensation would be different... pages versus something like an iPad.
Yep, that's what I've started to do lately. Back around 2008 when I retired and started ripping my whole music collection I only ripped the CD or LP and never added any metadata except for a note if it was a Mobile Fidelity or other special disc. Today I really kick myself in the ass cause I can no longer know what the history is for that disc, like what master it came from or anything else. :(
It can be a real PITA to do when the CD has a 12 page booklet or such included, but as Ron said, then you can open the book on your monitor or my 75" TV and read it from my recliner easily as I listen to the music. That was something I rarely did with the CD booklet itself since the font is so small and hard to read.

Old Listener

I ripped my then CD collection in 2006 and got the files tagged as I wanted them. I've bought lots of CDs since them and got them ripped and properly tagged. Locating music and playing it is sooo much better than finding CDs and LPs ever was. Browsing though my collection and finding something I hadn't thought of lately is a big plus too.

I haven't played a CD for years. (Or an LP in decades.) I don't miss the "ritual".

Daverz

Major Contributor
I ripped my entire collection to FLAC back in 2008-2009 (it took a long time!) I still buy CDs since a lot of music is only available that way (or cheaper on CD than as a download), but new acquisitions get ripped immediately with dBPowerAmp. I've put a lot of work creating custom menus for LMS so all my music is easy to find by composer and work, and I'd never go back to having to hunt down a particular recording of a work on a particular CD (which I may have long forgotten even existed).

Webninja

Forum Donor
Although I’ve kept my cds, I haven’t played them in a decade. I think streaming killed the whole album consumption for me, as I much prefer curated playlists. I’m not sure I can listen to a full album any more, and I’m not sure if that’s good or bad. Also enjoy constantly finding new music, which is much easier to do on a streaming platform.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Addressing this point only: you could scan the liner notes then read them on your preferred display. Yes, this would entail more work initially. OTOH, you could blow them up on your display to a size much greater than the ~4.75" square pages you get with your CD liner notes, making them much easier to read. If like me you're in the reading glasses required club, this would be a plus. Tactile sensation would be different... pages versus something like an iPad.

It works....Roon already has album art and lots of other meta data, and some liner notes.

But I don't want more screen time in my life.

Going back to the paper book I'm reading on holiday...

Reactions: EJ3

F1308

Major Contributor
It works....Roon already has album art and lots of other meta data, and some liner notes.

But I don't want more screen time in my life.

Going back to the paper book I'm reading on holiday...

When you go and buy a paper book, do they ask you for any personal preference on the smell, feeling and color of the paper itself or the technology is still a plain paper offer with something written and that is all...?

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
When I ripped my CD collection some years ago, I threw away the plastic cases and stacked and packed the disks tightly in cardboard boxes (just for proof of ownership). But I kept the liner notes in my library. This saved a lot of space (a big concern for me, since I move a lot). I sometimes revisit the booklets and hear the music at the same time, but not frequently. Maybe someday I will sort them...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hell does not exist. I always thought it existed, but not any more.
If it does, how is it that so many said so much about those horrible flames while none warned us about no Wi-fi coverage there ?

Classical music hell:

When you lose your "donor circle" seats with your name on the back at the local symphony.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
When you go and buy a paper book, do they ask you for any personal preference on the smell, feeling and color of the paper itself or the technology is still a plain paper offer with something written and that is all...?

I certainly have versions of books that I prefer because of their bindings, cover, and paper type, yes.

And in the book store, I can prefer one over the other.

Hardbound vs paper is the lowest denominator, then we get into library editions, leather covers vs cloth, etc.

Book collectors can pursue particular editions for their physical properties, even if the words written on the pages are the same.

Reactions: EJ3

Phrangko

This is great and I agree with everything you said, especially number 3. I would add one more number to the list: 5. Security.

About 15 years ago I began converting all my CDs to files for convenience's sake. The vast majority of my collection is classical and the metadata online is usually awful for that genre, so I spent hours tweaking the metadata, updating all the cover images, organizing it so it was searchable, etc. Eventually, about 5 years ago, the files got too big for my biggest HD and I needed the space to do other work (editing video), so I bought a new external HD. You all know where this is going...

About a month after moving all my files over and making sure everything was working properly, I deleted the files from the first HD so I could get my work done. The new HD promptly failed and I lost all my work. Fortunately I only had a few albums that were purchased digitally so I had the original CDs as backups, but probably hundreds of hours of work were just gone.

I play CDs out of a sense of security. Streaming services will come and go, files will be available as long as there is demand, but I feel like the only sure way to be able to listen to a particular album whenever I want for years to come is to own it. I have no desire to buy files after my experience, so I'll take my chances that the hardware to play CDs will be available for the rest of my life.

Nothing is more painful than crashing an external hd containing one's music collections. Crazy but copying flac files on a redundant hd gives me security with its price getting cheaper. A back up. A one TB drive can store more than 6k albums. That's a lot...to lose.

There are plenty of convenience having a flac player on a deck and a remote on one hand. I saw an audiophile collects his CDs by putting it on a zipped leatherette thing. It's the same thing I guess. The urge to switch to another artist in the middle of an album is there so it's a daily struggle...on a couch.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've spent the last couple of years ripping a lot more of my CDs (around another 1000 classical and jazz CDs) to FLAC. However, I sometimes wonder why I bother.

I've re-discovered in the last months that is it far more enjoyable to just play the original CDs on a CD player, than sending them through a separate DAC.

1. Having a real physical CD, allows the album to be objectified in the mind as a real object. This allows your mind to categorize your music, including where and when you bought the album (thereby associating the music to a specific time and place in your life).

The picture on the album cover also adds to this and helps to remind you of when you first bought the album.

2. Physically putting the CD in a CD player, allows you to pause and focus your intentions on what you are actually going to do - which is: listening seriously to music. Convenience can be a negative thing in this context, as it causes a loss of focus.

Listening to music seriously is like a meditative practice and you should focus on what you are doing.

The CD (or vinyl) format encourages you to focus on what you are doing, while playing on a computer encourages the opposite mentality. The "inconvenience" of the CD (or vinyl) format is also at least a little more similar to the constraints in listening to a live concert, and prevents you from rapidly switching between different genres or albums. Therefore it is more similar to the intentions of the composer, who would expect the audience to wait patiently in a concert hall before the performance.

This is important because music is better listened to distinctly - switching too much between different albums, can be like blurring together paint, creating a muddy mix of colours in your mind.

3. Having and reading the physical liner notes, is one of the great joys of a (at least classical) music collection. Why would anyone not see the loss of them as a huge minus? While the quality of liner notes varies, a lot of them contain excellent and informative writing, which can't be found anywhere else. For example, I particularly enjoy reading the liner notes in Colombia Jazz Albums. While I often enjoy Deutsche Grammophon liner notes for their focus on writing about the particular performance and performers (I can read about the composition in a book, but not about the particular performance).

4. One of the benefits of serious listening is to escape from the distractions of modern life, including the computer screen. A traditional hi-fi system experience can contribute to this, while playing FLACs forcing you back to interacting with a screen.

When I play physical CDs, I find that I'm encouraged to sit down and listen, or even to read a book. On the other hand, with FLACs - I often browse the internet while listening, distracting one's attention.

-------- ------------

Anyone else agree or have other observations, or is this just me?

Essentially: Yes, I agree.

Except I'd switch "listening to CDs" to "listening to Vinyl."

As we can see from the answers in the thread, this is all obviously dependent on an individuals personality and criteria.

I ripped all my CDs years ago, and added Tidal streaming when it became available. It was neato-gee-whiz for quite a while accessing everything on my phone or ipad, but for me it just increased my "digital fatigue-factor" interacting with tons of information on yet another screen. Having everything at my fingertips made it feel more disposable, not more valuable, and I found my attention would drift more since having not only my entire CD collection a finger flick away, but the whole Tidal library, made it more like surfing the internet, and brought on the same sort of ADD "surfing" behavior "what's next? *swipe* what's next? *swipe* what's next? *swipe*. I amassed tons of favorites that I rarely ever went back to because, like the internet, there's always more to discover. It was certainly great for discovering more music, but as I said, the process was so fast and easy I amassed tons of favorites in a way that rarely led me back to them, and also it was much harder to remember all the new artists
I was "saving" because it was "I like this, swipe, saved" with little stimulating the memory banks.

Getting back in to physcial media - vinyl - changed the music collecting and listening experience for me. When I buy music on vinyl it's usually because I've discovered or sought out specific music, had to find it (on line or in a record store), pay for it, when it arrives it's a physical object that I can hold and look at, and which I have to place somewhere and organize. The result makes my music collection feel solid, substantial, and for me it exists in a way that I'm more connected. I can remember far, far more of the LPs I own than the ones I saved on Tidal (or even ripped long ago on CD).

I put on an album and almost always listen the whole way through, something I can't even remember doing on streamed CD or Tidal for years.

I can therefore see why you would have a similar experience with CDs.

For me CDs doesn't do it because I loathe CDs as a form factor. Nothing remotely aesthetically pleasing about them visually or physically or ergonomically and I'm very glad to be rid of them. But, for someone else who likes CDs, I get it!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing is more painful than crashing an external hd containing one's music collections. Crazy but copying flac files on a redundant hd gives me security with its price getting cheaper. A back up. A one TB drive can store more than 6k albums. That's a lot...to lose.

There are plenty of convenience having a flac player on a deck and a remote on one hand. I saw an audiophile collects his CDs by putting it on a zipped leatherette thing. It's the same thing I guess. The urge to switch to another artist in the middle of an album is there so it's a daily struggle...on a couch.

The whole CD ripping thing was absolutely painful for me. Doing it myself took forever, and then making sure all the tags were right. Finally near the end I was so sick of it being a second job I had a local ripping company do the rest for me. They didn't do a very good job with the tags, so that sucked too.

I find Tidal generally sucks for building a collection - doesn't allow much gradation for organisation. As I understand it, this is where something like Roon pulls ahead. But then, system's like Roon require their own level of effort and complexity. So it's where any individual wants to aim his efforts for how it will pay off. In a way grabbing an LP from my collection is less effort than the whole CD ripping business, and I prefer the physical organisation to what my streaming service offers me.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The whole CD ripping thing was absolutely painful for me. Doing it myself took forever, and then making sure all the tags were right. Finally near the end I was so sick of it being a second job I had a local ripping company do the rest for me. They didn't do a very good job with the tags, so that sucked too.

I find Tidal generally sucks for building a collection - doesn't allow much gradation for organisation. As I understand it, this is where something like Roon pulls ahead. But then, system's like Roon require their own level of effort and complexity. So it's where any individual wants to aim his efforts for how it will pay off. In a way grabbing an LP from my collection is less effort than the whole CD ripping business, and I prefer the physical organisation to what my streaming service offers me.
Before my HD crashed I loved how easy it was to search for things. I had it set up how I wanted and it worked. I just don’t have the time to start over. Maybe when my daughter goes off to college (in 9 years). :D

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Before my HD crashed I loved how easy it was to search for things. I had it set up how I wanted and it worked. I just don’t have the time to start over. Maybe when my daughter goes off to college (in 9 years). :D

Hey you're better off, because supposedly SSD sounds better....

;)

Top Bottom