• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone familiar with the Vista Audio spark?

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, here is a review of this little amp:

Anyone familiar with this little 20W amp?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've heard of it -- seems like perhaps not the best market research done on the name.

I actually remember long ago, in a past life when I worked for an analytical instrument manufacturer, my company entered into some kind of joint venture with a Dutch instrumentation company which (if memory serves) was called Spark Holland. Since we used a bevy of flammable solvents, Spark seemed kind of an inapt moniker.

:rolleyes:

Metronoam

Hi, here is a review of this little amp:

Anyone familiar with this little 20W amp?

I own it, my feeling is that the sound is engineered into a chip that may or may not be a class a/b transistor as stated. While smooth it ultimately lacks dynamically, both macro large swings as well as micro dynamic detail goes missing. It’s almost like the sound of an inefficient polycone speaker of the 80’s marketed as ‘smooth’ sounding. This decrease in both forms of dynamic resolution compared to even standard integrated amps is pretty obvious in a side by side comparison with other true class ab architecture. Now the question is how does it sound for the money? If build quality and sound for dollars is your barometer than this is a great amp to buy new. I have no hard feelings regarding the quality of the sound or the build and the fact that it’s made by a small company in Serbia gives a certain sense of pride of ownship. My wife loves it , she finds the dynamic compression and smoothed our sound way more agreeable for her tastes. I used single full range drovers with a sensitivity of 94db and an 8 ohm load to test the Spark 2. I then dropped in an obnoxious pair of Polk monitor 30 version 2 that are boom tick chuck sounding bookshelf speakers. Just my two cents. If you want full dynamics look for a used Rotel RA-04 SE.

OP
Kegemusha

Kegemusha

Yes, they do some phono amps too, never tested. But their vista seems to be a class AB amp, designed arround a TI chip.

Alfred_Audio

I own it, my feeling is that the sound is engineered into a chip that may or may not be a class a/b transistor as stated.

Hi Metronoam. Thanks for sharing your views on the Spark, as an owner myself, they are very interesting to me!

May I ask you which version of the Spark do you own? It is my understanding that in its second version, the current one for sale, the filter capacitance of the Spark has been doubled from the very first model, directly benefiting the dynamic output of the Spark, both micro and macro, helping further reducing electrical noise too. To my ears, the Spark is a very quiet piece!

Of course, physics like to play their part. There has to be some limitation in the output of the spark, giving its 20 W - for instance, the Rotel you have mentioned has 40 W at 8 Ohm. But I believe people will be very surprise about what 20 W of power could do to any speaker. If you are not powering a large family room with it, you should be fine.

With regards to the transistor used, without having direct confirmation from Vista Audio, I am almost pretty sure they are using the Texas Instruments LM1876 LM3866 , which indeed it is a class-AB audio amplifier from the Overture line of Texas Instruments - their high end audio line. Again, kindly note I don't have an official confirmation from the manufacturer. But it truly looks the same to my inexperienced eyes.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm3886.pdf

Lastly, I have always find comparisons of a brand new piece of gear to a 10-year-old, pre-owned model quite unfair. In my very personal opinion, someone might have a very hard time finding a better sounding unit for its asking price of $349. As I did. Factor in a 2 year warranty and their US and EU operations and excellent customer support and the Spark is a unbelievable piece of gear, independently of its price!

As Metronoam says, very smooth and pleasing. With a very rich tone, sure not the most transparent piece of gear I owned, but resolute enough to show the differences between the front end sources, without making music harsh - I am using lately an SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II with very satisfactory results.

Funny enough, my partner also adores the fact that there are not huge, massive jumps in the audio signal, which makes it very friendly for any apartment and not the best-in-class for action movies in a home cinema experience. However, to my ears there are plenty dynamics for an engaging session and a quality of tone and sound that deserves to be listened. I would say with the right speakers -I am driving a set of Focal Aria 906- it is a delightful experience. And yes, a basshead might find this combo light on the low end department, which I don't.

Happy listening to you all!

Last edited:
OP
Kegemusha

Kegemusha

I got one of these shipped from Serbia (spark II) at the end, the chip used is class AB chip from the TI's Overture Series LM3866.
I had it 1st as desktop amp, was excellent there, and then I put it in my system in our living room, some 17m2 room.
To me sounds very nice, specially if you put some music kind like Kurt Vile or Neil Young, I have S300Mkii Buchardt speakers and the music sounds great to me. I might dare to say better than the emotiva I had. The emotiva sits in my desktop now.
Is impossible to be in the room at high volume, so these 20W seems more than enough to me, but I love the sound of it.

Alfred_Audio

I got one of these shipped from Serbia (spark II) at the end, the chip used is class AB chip from the TI's Overture Series LM3866.

Thanks for you insightful comment, Kegemusha. I am going to correct the chip number from my pervious post. I am happy at least I catch the chip is a class AB chip from TI's Overture series.

Last edited:

NJC

I own it, my feeling is that the sound is engineered into a chip that may or may not be a class a/b transistor as stated. While smooth it ultimately lacks dynamically, both macro large swings as well as micro dynamic detail goes missing. It’s almost like the sound of an inefficient polycone speaker of the 80’s marketed as ‘smooth’ sounding. This decrease in both forms of dynamic resolution compared to even standard integrated amps is pretty obvious in a side by side comparison with other true class ab architecture. Now the question is how does it sound for the money? If build quality and sound for dollars is your barometer than this is a great amp to buy new. I have no hard feelings regarding the quality of the sound or the build and the fact that it’s made by a small company in Serbia gives a certain sense of pride of ownship. My wife loves it , she finds the dynamic compression and smoothed our sound way more agreeable for her tastes. I used single full range drovers with a sensitivity of 94db and an 8 ohm load to test the Spark 2. I then dropped in an obnoxious pair of Polk monitor 30 version 2 that are boom tick chuck sounding bookshelf speakers. Just my two cents. If you want full dynamics look for a used Rotel RA-04 SE.

Any comparisons to either a Rega IO or Rega BRIO? The way you describe the Vista Audio Spark sounds like what Fosi did with the Fosi HD-A1 which smooths over the sound by taking away details, so isn't quite as transparent as it could have been. How is instrument separation, does it present a flat Soundstage of is there some depth to the stage? Thx.

OP
Kegemusha

Kegemusha

Is a 20W amp soundstage is not huge, rega brio has much more power, and the Rega IO no ieda on 4 Ohms, (I have 4 Ohms speakers).

To me, the sound is very detail, I gave mine to my brother in law, and at home I have a Peachtree music box (from 2014 I think it is) and Emotiva Bas-x-a100 (that I dont like the sound at all but it was in desk), and the Vista is in another league compared to those 2, to me of course.
I dont think is neutral but those 20W are incredible well used. Sounded more powerfull than the Emotiva that should have more power.

I can tell you the components are all Japaneese or EU/USA parts and build in Serbia, quality components inside, maybe it will meassure badly here in ASR but as will my ears for sure :)

I bought it because my wife's family side is from Serbia and I read a lot of good things about this amp.
I am not sure how much they cost now, around $350, and I think the Rega are more expensive.

NJC

Thanks for the reply. I have heard an Emotiva Basx amp and if the A100 is similar, then it's better than the Fosi HD-A1. Regarding the Vista Audio Spark I/II, they give output for both 8 and 4 ohms as 20 watts. In looking at small amps to use on my standmounts. I have found a Keces E40 which cleanly outputs approx 33 and 58 watts at 8 and 4 ohms respectively within low levels of distortion per one review I have found. I have been intriqued by the Spark from the reviews but would like to see a comparative done by someone. If ASR ever gets one that would be nice to see the results.

I would think the IO would do a 4 ohm load just fine. I have heard the Brio briefly and liked it but the IO is supposed to have a bit of a different sound in comparison. I don't listen to music particularly loud at home and the Keces surprisingly keeps up and kind of reminds me of my larger Hegel at the listening levels I prefer. Someone stated the Spark II reminded him of a Simaudio Moon, so that in and of itself intriqued me. I would guess, if the Spark is very detailed it probably leans on the cooler side with airy highs while the Keces e40 has a warmer tone, tight bass and still detailed but the highest octaves are less pronounced in comparison to other amps, but still airy. It does have some depth of stage and I like the instrument/voice separation with enough texture over many other budget gear.

Until there's an actual comparison I'm happy with what I have but always looking to selectively add to the collection.

OP
Kegemusha

Kegemusha

That Keces looks nice, never heard of that brand before, is an EU brand?
I dont hear at high volumes either, some 73dB or lesss usually.
I saw a ouple of youtube reviews on the Vista, and it was recomended together with the Rega IO by Steve G, don't know, there are so many nice amps out there that is impossible to know.
I like the Rega IO a lot but for that money I am looking at the hypex ones now to replace the Vista.

NJC

I found out about the Keces by watching Soundnews reviews on youtube and his own website. I took a chance and really like it. I was looking at class D amps as well but the companies only had amps and I preferred an integrated. I like smaller sized products if they can do what I need them to do. A function of age as well. You not going to really pound out high volumes with a small amp but I listen at reasonable levels and drive standmounted speakers.

If I could find a well implemented class D integrated that is small and light, I would jump on that as well, depending on price of course. The Keces E40 does just fine on all my speakers, particularly my Focal 807Ws. BTW, Keces is a Taiwanese brand by a comany adept at power supplies and conditioners.

Happy listening.

bicho_solto

I found out about the Keces by watching Soundnews reviews on youtube and his own website. I took a chance and really like it. I was looking at class D amps as well but the companies only had amps and I preferred an integrated. I like smaller sized products if they can do what I need them to do. A function of age as well. You not going to really pound out high volumes with a small amp but I listen at reasonable levels and drive standmounted speakers.

If I could find a well implemented class D integrated that is small and light, I would jump on that as well, depending on price of course. The Keces E40 does just fine on all my speakers, particularly my Focal 807Ws. BTW, Keces is a Taiwanese brand by a comany adept at power supplies and conditioners.

Happy listening.
Have you tried the loxjie a30? Or maybe the ps audio sprout?

NJC

No but it looks like it gives you alot. Currently out of stock on Amazon. I tried a Loxjie D30 and liked it for its' SQ but the optical cable wouldn't click in and kept falling out so returned it. I had a similar issue with an SMSL dac as well.

I have tried Aiyima amps and liked them. I have both the A04 and the A07 as well as two of their dacs. The cheapest dacs compared with the next tier up do have differences particularly in how dynamic passages come across. Still, for on the cheap they do well.

The Loxjie A30 looks like it could be a one box solution for someone...once it becomes again.

OP
Kegemusha

Kegemusha

The Aiyima 07 I would like to test, regarding the PS Sprout seems like the yamaha wxa-50 have the same board and measures ok here and cheaper.

seadogbiscuit

Forum Donor
I have one and I love it! I have it paired with Omega 3i's in a desktop rig. I listen in the low 60db range, electronic music mostly. All the power I need! It's quiet, well built and fits perfectly on a desktop. I am looking forward to the measurements too!

Top Bottom