• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone ever tried making tone control from a kit ? which one is good ?

jst

Here's a few

NE5532

This one not revealed but its $31

This one says mackie, I think i t's a macintosh parametric

Last edited:

Bob-23

You have to distinguish the (fine-adjustment of the ) parametric eq from the much simpler (in construction and use) Baxandall-type tone controls, which - invented by Peter Baxandall in the beginning of the 1950s - became, as one of the most successful inventions in audio, wide(st) spread in audio gear in the following decades. - Your 5532-circuit is supposed to be a such one.

In many cases, the Baxandall-eq is sufficient, and it's the right tool for correcting frequency response 'on the fly', while listening, immediately responding to a particular recording. And it might be called the 'most organic' intervention in frequency response, as it operates in broad strokes, à la manière impressioniste.

On the other hand, with the parametric eq you can do a basic correction for (weak) details in the frequency response of speakers or headphones.

Read the articles of Rod Elliott for further information. I built his (active) Baxandall-eq twice, one with center frequency 1KHz [1], the second with 640 Hz center frequency [2]. They work fine. There has to be an input buffer added - which seems to be the case in your 5532-circuit, hence the second opamp. It's an easy built. 5532 is cheap and good (enough), I often use them.

I didn't incorporate the 'middle'-control, following Rod Elliott:
"In the interests of completeness, the above shows the general arrangement used to add a midrange control to a Baxandall network. The Q is low (about 0.5) and you can't adjust the frequency, but it does add some extra functionality that might be useful for a musical instrument amp. While you may see it added in many circuits on the Net, it's of somewhat dubious value. Because it's not easily adjusted for frequency and due to the low Q, most users are likely to find it doesn't really do what they need."

That's what it does:
1629548861600.gif

Enjoy!

[1] Rod Elliott; ESP>Articles>Equalizers, the various types, and how they work, Chapter 6.
[2] Rod Elliott; ESP>Articles>Designing with opamps, Part II, Chapter 7
https://sound-au.com/

Last edited:
OP
jst

jst

I think you have a FANTASTIC sense of humor! :D:D:D:D Jim
Lol sorry for the confusion, it's actually machintosh,Indonesian made tone control kit brand.

https%2Fs1.bukalapak.com%2Fimg%2F63404888471%2Flarge%2Fdata.jpeg

---

Seems like opamp is mostly used in tone control/preamp, I wonder whether it will be redundant, DAC has opamp, preamp/tone control like fx audio tube 03 also has opamp for its treble bass control (tube 01 doesn't hv)

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I built the Velleman Volume and Tone Control Pre-Amplifier Kit K8084 , left the volume control at 100%. The tone controls work exactly as expected, and are silent in operation between preamp and power amps.

I've used Velleman kits as the basis of several projects, as they're easy to modify to my needs, and having a decent PCB makes construction so much easier than using stripboard.

S.

Top Bottom