• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else see this WaPo story on the vinyl thing?

C. Cook

As a side note, the dude who serves as the basis for most of the article looks like a sucker for snake oil. He doesn't seem to mind what looks like someone spo...ed on that top woofer cone.

1664657936679.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am now considering cancelling my subscription to WaPo :facepalm:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How sharp are your ears? Can you tell the difference between analog and digital?

We recorded different tracks playing from the same set of speakers twice, once as a vinyl record and the other as a digital file. Listen below and see if you can tell which is which.
They are both digital recordings :facepalm:

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

And this shows the utility of the snake oil threads. If they didn't exist, i would be wondering what those strange wooden antennas are :D
Do you know what they're called? I was trying to find a link and couldn't. I've seen them before, but never known what claims are made about them.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know what they're called? I was trying to find a link and couldn't. I've seen them before, but never known what claims are made about them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol love the audio guys using hallographs, especially duals.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol love the audio guys using hallographs, especial duals.
He's obviously a man with discerning tastes and golden ears.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
What a joke. And in the middle of the article on analog is better.

"After Burnett played me the song, we talked about the process behind the recording. Burnett told me he captured the session on a restored Nagra tape machine as well as a digital recorder. When it came time to put the song on the disc, he chose the digital recording as his source. I asked him whether he worried about the analog crowd. He was unrepentant.
“There was no noise or tape hiss,” he said. “That’s the way we deemed it was best. I don’t have to apologize for it. It’s a great recording.”
Which may lead to the biggest lesson of my quest. Don’t pretend to know everything."

He should say, dont pretend to know anything, he dosnt.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is one of those, "Oh look at the weird outsiders and the quaint mysterious things they do" articles. Probably even the author felt a little dirty afterwards.

Capitol C

Reading that article made my day. Laughter is good for you!

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I pay Audioquest-level $ every 6 months for my print-edition/ home delivery WaPo subscription. I read the comics religiously every day. And I skim the Metro and Style sections, and make sure to pass right over articles like this one.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It takes all sorts I guess. But it's nutcases with crazy ideas who give the entire audiophile industry a bad name.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got lucky.

I clicked on link and was presented with a dialogue for a free, 4 week subscription. At that point I abandoned any attempt to read the article.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Apparently this WaPo reporter and Michael Fremer go 'way back' which was the only part of the article I found remotely interesting. Fremer is, I don't even know. Can't come up with the words.

Top Bottom