• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone Else Buying New Vinyl?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah I buy it sometimes, when reasonably priced. As stated, most of it is expensive (IMO). Our major chain electronics/music store here carries a fair bit, but mostly A$50 or so. I picked up Dusty in Memphis for $35 this week though.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On a concert by Kari Bremnes some 5 years ago I bought the LP of Svarta Björn because I was curious how it would sound compared to the very good CD. It matched the CD quite well while it was new.

3 years ago I bought a box of 6 LP albums by Evanescence. Very good 180 gram pressings but utterly spoiled by very stupid storage in hard paper sleeves. Movement of the LPs in these sleeves during transport led to lots of scratches on the surface and also lots of paper dust all over the records. I checked the customer feedback at Amazon and found out that lots of them had the same problem. I expected a replacement could easily be worse than mine or I wouldn't get one at all due to the box being a very limited edition so I just vacuumed all records carefully to get rid of the paper dust (that worked). Sound was fine then, but I swore never to buy a record without having a look at the sleeve first or knowing from customer feedback that the sleeve is fine.

The last record I bought came with the CD and was just a few € more expensive than the CD alone. The mastering was different, the LP sound is wider in sound stage but very flat in depth (wall of sound) and somewhat veiled details; the CD is cleaner, sound stage is a bit more narrow but deeper as well. I like them both.

I've decided that this would be my last new LP I bought. If I'd stumble over a used gem at a cheap price though I'd be tempted to buy it. Like when I couldn't resist to buy a Limited Edition Direct to Disc recording of Cappriccio Italien * Cappriccio Espagnole by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops (Crystal Clear Records CCS-7003, recorded 1977) for €1.- in the trash bin of a local music store.:)

dpturner

Forum Donor
only vinyl (acetate?) i've bought in decades has been at the merch table at live shows, just for the novelty. but i still listen to my old lps.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I think vinyls is a millennial thing...

Nah, totally 1980s.

1623454030567.png

I realized years ago it's just part of me. If it's sold i'll always buy it. I love cd and streaming but vinyl is just different! After 30 years since my first album I'm in it for the long hall.

Latest is Erasure - The Neon
66D0E56D-3E12-4328-9ABE-45BACAD28B3A.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't bought vinyls (yes, just to annoy the vinylphiles :) ) in well over 20 years, possibly closer to 30, don't really keep track tho. I still have my vinyls (LPs, 45s, EPs) and a tt, tho. I think I got a "free" "180g" lp about 20 years ago, tho. It was a bit noisy, too due apparently a poor rendition of the 180g of material. I have an easier time of playing an album without getting up in the middle to flip the damn thing over let alone keep my concentration on it rather than get interrupted in the middle. I can even line up several albums and not debase myself with an actual record changer so as to keep the purity of my manual tt sacred.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Most of hard music I buy now is vinyl and a few HDCDs, since I got interested in the format.

Prior, I was buying minidiscs and...wait for it...8 Track tapes and cassettes.

CDs before that, of course, and lots of LPs prior to the CD revolution.

I am beginning to think I am a format hoarder.

On a concert by Kari Bremnes some 5 years ago I bought the LP of Svarta Björn because I was curious how it would sound compared to the very good CD. It matched the CD quite well while it was new.

3 years ago I bought a box of 6 LP albums by Evanescence. Very good 180 gram pressings but utterly spoiled by very stupid storage in hard paper sleeves. Movement of the LPs in these sleeves during transport led to lots of scratches on the surface and also lots of paper dust all over the records. I checked the customer feedback at Amazon and found out that lots of them had the same problem. I expected a replacement could easily be worse than mine or I wouldn't get one at all due to the box being a very limited edition so I just vacuumed all records carefully to get rid of the paper dust (that worked). Sound was fine then, but I swore never to buy a record without having a look at the sleeve first or knowing from customer feedback that the sleeve is fine.

The last record I bought came with the CD and was just a few € more expensive than the CD alone. The mastering was different, the LP sound is wider in sound stage but very flat in depth (wall of sound) and somewhat veiled details; the CD is cleaner, sound stage is a bit more narrow but deeper as well. I like them both.

I've decided that this would be my last new LP I bought. If I'd stumble over a used gem at a cheap price though I'd be tempted to buy it. Like when I couldn't resist to buy a Limited Edition Direct to Disc recording of Cappriccio Italien * Cappriccio Espagnole by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops (Crystal Clear Records CCS-7003, recorded 1977) for €1.- in the trash bin of a local music store.:)

For the past couple of years I've seen a huge trend of either, including a download or a cd with the record. I love this, it makes it so much more satisfying!

dougi

only vinyl (acetate?) i've bought in decades has been at the merch table at live shows, just for the novelty. but i still listen to my old lps.
Yeah I like to do that too. It's hard to work out when during the gig you should though. Early so you don't miss out but then you have to carry it around! Better for non-lively gigs.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Then there's the original RCA competing format which became generically called '45s'. Then there's '78s'. I guess today's 'vinyl' could most accurately be called the Columbia Long Playing Record.

Never mind the fight between cylinders verses disks.
Or Acoustic vs. Electrically Recorded discs.

Robin L

Master Contributor
. . . Like when I couldn't resist to buy a Limited Edition Direct to Disc recording of Cappriccio Italien * Cappriccio Espagnole by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops (Crystal Clear Records CCS-7003, recorded 1977) for €1.- in the trash bin of a local music store.:)
Owned it. Great record if you want to find out much rumble your turntable has.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Calling them lps is almost as anachronistic as calling them vinyl, who amongst us was around for the 78s or the shellac records that counterpoint those other two names?

Stereo microgroove long playing vinyl records anything else is just faddish.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Calling them lps is almost as anachronistic as calling them vinyl, who amongst us was around for the 78s or the shellac records that counterpoint those other two names?

Owned enough shellac. Had a nice little pile of Charlie Parker Savoy and Dial sides back in the day.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
This week I finally got the Analog Productions Herbie Hancock Headhunters 45, which is a great Ryan K Smith mastering with some bits that really shine and stand out compared to the digital Amazon HD versions. Also got Nirvana Nirvana and Weezer OK Human.

I buy lots of new vinyl. Anything with cool artwork and anything I want to sit back and listen to with intent. I also buy vintage vinyl with similar criteria. Normally I won't pay a lot more for an old record than a re-pressing, but there are exceptions.

While I've got the Billie Eilish records, I admit they are a lot better on digital if your setup can dig deeper than the vinyl medium.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The original microgroove long playing vinyl records were mono; stereo really didn't come into anything resembling widespread use until the early 1950s, and that was on tape.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This week I finally got the Analog Productions Herbie Hancock Headhunters 45, which is a great Ryan K Smith mastering with some bits that really shine and stand out compared to the digital Amazon HD versions. Also got Nirvana Nirvana and Weezer OK Human.

I buy lots of new vinyl. Anything with cool artwork and anything I want to sit back and listen to with intent. I also buy vintage vinyl with similar criteria. Normally I won't pay a lot more for an old record than a re-pressing, but there are exceptions.

While I've got the Billie Eilish records, I admit they are a lot better on digital if your setup can dig deeper than the vinyl medium.
I buy more 45 RPM editions than I care to admit. They do sound wonderful, especially the Nashville Skyline I just got.

Top Bottom