• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone Else Buying New Vinyl?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have recently purchased several new vinyl releases. I like that with vinyl I will take the time to sit down and listen to whole albums while reading through liner notes and lyrics. I tend to jump around when listening to digital. My recent purchases:

Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever (ships July 30, 2021):
HTE_Grey2LP_58fbb436-960c-4a14-a8bb-e55bcfec9ec8_1024x1024.png

Taylor Swift - Fearless (Taylor's Version) (ships August 27, 2021):
Vinyl_1600x_c4a8f533-02ef-41ac-a2f8-2ce3894593a9_1600x1600.png

Taylor Swift - Evermore:
SharedImage-113263.png

Taylor Swift - Folklore:
41rbuziKldL.jpg

Martin

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
No way, Jose! :D :D I haven't bought a record since I got my 1st CD player and I'm NEVER going back! The only thing I miss is the cover art. When I was kid my albums were "displayed" on shelves and at that time I only had a few so I could display them all. I think I eventually maxed-out at about 78 or 80 albums before I went digital.

I assume the average record sounds better now? Back in the vinyl days good-sounding records were few-and-far between, at least in the rock/popular genre. (The rumor was, that classical and jazz records had better sound quality.)

And, my tastes have not kept-up with the times so I'm not buying that much music anyway.

Ramon Cota

no i stopped sometime ago ... only old pressings in used / excellent+ condition . New vinyl is just too expensive , has too poor QC , i dont like heavy 180 g discs and the fact they are often bent since new and cannot be flattened easily, and i am not entirely sure they are superior in regards to mastering / dynamic range compared to cd counterarts or how to check it.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Yes, I still buy vinyl. It's a nice option for concentrated listening, and options are always good. :D

vibess

91-92ish was my last vinyls, use your illusion 1+2 gnr. :) now i prefer digipack cd's for that extra feeling

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish the Fearless reboot was slightly more dynamic, seems like a missed opportunity.

And yeah I love to 'collect' records of albums I like.

levimax

Major Contributor
I don't buy new vinyl, I tried a few times and did not hear any advantage (usually disadvantage) compared to the digital version although I am sure there are exceptions. If I buy vinyl it is original pressing of older music I like... it may or may not sound better than the latest digital streaming version but at least it sounds like it did when originally released.

sitherion

Yeah, I don't like CDs. They offer the same function as playing something on an online music player. Nothing more. Plus, nowadays music players offer superior quality to that of the CDs (especially online purchased HD albums - NativeDSD).

Vinyls on the other hand, are not about quality. They allow me to concentrate on the music. Is a hassle to use it and play the song again so i really pay attention to what I am listening to. Absorb the sound and even the small deficiencies that come along. It's pretty much like smoking a pipe vs e-cigarettes or normal cigarettes. It's not about the quality of the smoke (very few people enjoy the heaviness of the pipe smoke) but is about the journey and process it requires you to do it. You have to pay attention to the moment and stop multitasking.

Latest album I bought in vinyl was the Reprise from Moby.
IMG_5642 (1).jpeg

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had not bought an album since the late 1980s until a couple months ago. Bought a couple for my son to help him get a collection started. It got us listening to a bunch of albums I had not touched in15+ years.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Martin, like you I buy vinyl if I expect to want to play it as as album, I rarely listen a full album of digital

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's an Americanism. The added S is inexcusable though. Why we just can't say microgroove stereo long-playing 33 1/3 vinyl record album I'll never know...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Why tf do people call LPs vinyls?
Grammatical ignorance. It's the current "style", noting the ephemeral nature of the rediscovered audio format. Don't know who said it, but LPs and everything related happen to be a fashion statement. Kinda like steampunk.

The last two LPs I bought [around 2018] were derived from digital sources. Compared to the CD versions, they sounded undynamic and lifeless. I have owned LPs that were "all that", but often, the CD equivalents were just as good. In any case, I've already dumped the LP collection, am now inn the process of trimming down my CDs. Only got so much room and so much time.

sitherion

Grammatical ignorance. It's the current "style", noting the ephemeral nature of the rediscovered audio format. Don't know who said it, but LPs and everything related happen to be a fashion statement. Kinda like steampunk.

The last two LPs I bought [around 2018] were derived from digital sources. Compared to the CD versions, they sounded undynamic and lifeless. I have owned LPs that were "all that", but often, the CD equivalents were just as good. In any case, I've already dumped the LP collection, am now inn the process of trimming down my CDs. Only got so much room and so much time.

Mark Liberman disagrees with the above statement Language Log » Peeve emergence: The case of "vinyls" (upenn.edu)
(Yes, I am 35yr old millennial) :)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

sitherion

If the appeal of vinyl is supposedly tied to everything mid-century retro, why on earth aren't the actual, retro and authentic descriptors used, i.e. "LPs" or "records"? After all, you go to a record store, not a 'vinyls' store. Its record store day, not vinyls store day. Get with the program! ;)

I wrote the appeal above. It has nothing to do with retro but with the process. That was your interpretation. I love people patronise in telling what we like, how we should like it and why.

Top Bottom