• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else binge-watching TV series during the coronavirus quarantines?

QMuse

Major Contributor
Better call Saul (season 5) works for me.

I started to watch Devs. Interesting idea, but it soon became boring.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone looking for some light hearted and genius British comedy, Detectorists is a must. Brilliant acting and writing. The perfect tonic for these current times.
I’m not sure how well it translates outside of The UK but give it a try!
Seconded. And it's mostly filmed outside in beautiful countryside on days of the mythical British summer.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Justified was excellent, but I might be a little biased since I like everything Timothy Olyphant has done. (He's really entertaining in his talk show appearances as well :D )

I really like the remake of The Crazies that he starred in, and I enjoyed the whacky Santa Clarita Diet, which unfortunately was cancelled. (Both of those deal with contagion, so I suppose they're appropriate for quarantine binge viewing o_O .)

Oh, and he played a character in the Glenn Close series Damages. I will probably put that on my list of tv shows to rewatch haha! I love Glenn Close and it was a very good show about very horrible people! Which reminds me of another one, How to Get Away with Murder, starring Viola Davis! :D

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Annihilation is a must-see movie.. Strangely beautiful ...
I am not sure it supports a second viewing too close to the first.. I will re-watch sometimes in the future .. We all have time at home these days :(
I would also recommend "Arrival" a slow, very well made movie. This one may require subsequent viewings to fully grasp it...

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Justified was the opposite of Breaking Bad, as I really loved most of the characters, but the story got increasingly thin. At least I gave up in S6, so well past the BB score. Has made me want to visit Appalachia.
Thanks for the Alex Garland tip, I was unaware of Devs, will try to find it in the UK. Supposedly it’s been picked up by the BBC. That would make it the first interesting show they’ve had in six months at least. Oh the joys of the tv license.
Ok, someone has to say it, but the obvious omission is Game of Thrones. Yes the last season(s) was disappointing. But there are about 60 top quality episodes before that, with some of the best characters ever on tv. If you haven’t seen it, remove your prejudices about fantasy and give it a go. If you’re American subtitles might be helpful. I’d say read the books too, but seeing as the author can’t be arsed to finish them I say screw him and just watch the show. But, be aware that it has quite remarkable levels of nudity, violence and despair.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Annihilation is a must-see movie.. Strangely beautiful ...
I am not sure it supports a second viewing too close to the first.. I will re-watch sometimes in the future .. We all have time at home these days :(
I would also recommend "Arrival" a slow, very well made movie. This one may require subsequent viewings to fully grasp it...
Both good, not quite great, films. Denis Villeneuve did Arrival (and Blade Runner 49, Sicario) and is doing Dune, which will hopefully be truly great.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
So , if you can find 'em:

Deadwood
Battlestar reboot
True Detective (S1)
The Wire (but avoid the last season or two)
The Newsroom (oddly prophetic , far too preachy but S1 is good)-
Arrested Development

Now, any Anime recommendations welcomed, please.
An excellent list, although I’ve never watched Newsroom, got bored of Sorkin. Oddly all of them fall off dramatically in the last season or so. True Detective is a one season show, they should have made the other seasons under a different name.
Anime is my kryptonite, mostly over acted, poorly drawn rubbish. I’m obviously excluding Studio Ghibli films. The other exception is Erased, a one season show as far as I’m aware. Highly recommended.

gikigill

Binge-watching Top Gear from the Clarkson-Hammond-May era and their new series.

The opening of the first episode of The Grand Tour is marvellous. The three Mustangs driving down is just a sight to behold for every TG fan.

Wombat

Master Contributor
A new series of Full Custom Garage has appeared on free-to air TV.

Ian Roussel is a great combination of intuitive vision and hands-on creativity. Love it. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Binge watching cable news.

I switch between Fox and CNN so I won't miss seeing what the each side is complaining about.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An excellent list, although I’ve never watched Newsroom, got bored of Sorkin. Oddly all of them fall off dramatically in the last season or so. True Detective is a one season show, they should have made the other seasons under a different name.
Anime is my kryptonite, mostly over acted, poorly drawn rubbish. I’m obviously excluding Studio Ghibli films. The other exception is Erased, a one season show as far as I’m aware. Highly recommended.
Agree re Sorkin. WW in a post Rob Lowe world wasnt worth having. Ran at least 2 seasons too long. There is a theme for all of the best of the best- finish after 3 or 4 seasons , not 5 to 7 (Maybe excepting the Sopranos)

GeorgeWalk

The Mandalorian was good.

I also highly recommend "Fargo", the series. Three seasons all good. It helped smooth my withdrawal when Breaking Bad ended.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Agree re Sorkin. WW in a post Rob Lowe world wasnt worth having. Ran at least 2 seasons too long. There is a theme for all of the best of the best- finish after 3 or 4 seasons , not 5 to 7 (Maybe excepting the Sopranos)
I thought the original idea for West Wing, a show focussed on the team behind the Pres, was excellent. Alas Sorkin got enamoured by Martin Sheen/ Bartlett and made him the centrepiece.
Similarly, I thought House of Cards would have been great if about the non politicians, like Robin Wright. All the ngos, lobbyists, advisors etc etc.
Clearly I have no influence on what gets made by Hollywood. o_O:mad::cool:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I also highly recommend "Fargo", the series. Three seasons all good. It helped smooth my withdrawal when Breaking Bad ended.
I didn't watch 3 (?) as I object to Ewan McGregor on general principles .

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the original idea for West Wing, a show focussed on the team behind the Pres, was excellent. Alas Sorkin got enamoured by Martin Sheen/ Bartlett and made him the centrepiece.
Similarly, I thought House of Cards would have been great if about the non politicians, like Robin Wright. All the ngos, lobbyists, advisors etc etc.
Clearly I have no influence on what gets made by Hollywood. o_O:mad::cool:
Never had an issue with the bartlett /staff mix. It was the character turnover (none of which were for the better) that irked. Or possibly just that it had run its course after a few seasons. Definitely never should have gone to a second POTUS

Celty

I have been bingeing some old series that are my fav's. Grimm, Deep Space Nine, etc, Along with some of the current movie / series sprinkled in. "Mozart in the Jungle" is a little gem as well.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, the Mandolorian is quite good. Baby Yoda and all that. Plus you get to see Giancarlo Esposito as a bad guy in Imperial governor Moff Gideon with a detachment of Death Troopers at his disposal. When most episodes are done you think, "darn, that was too short, let me see the next one".

GeorgeWalk

Yes, the Mandolorian is quite good. Baby Yoda and all that. Plus you get to see Giancarlo Esposito as a bad guy in Imperial governor Moff Gideon with a detachment of Death Troopers at his disposal. When most episodes are done you think, "darn, that was too short, let me see the next one".

I saw Giancarlo Esposito and I thought "Oh, my god! Gus Fring isn't dead!"

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
You’d no doubt turned off in disgust well before, but The Boys has the same actor. And in a similar role I think (not having seen him in BB or Mandalorian).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You’d no doubt turned off in disgust well before, but The Boys has the same actor. And in a similar role I think (not having seen him in BB or Mandalorian).
You are right I turned it off in disgust. I think I watched 2 episodes actually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom