• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else binge-watching TV series during the coronavirus quarantines?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We need some humour - The Young Offenders - probably only available in the UK and Ireland unfortunately.
I recommend Derry Girls, only seen S1 so far but great dialogue. Was going to link the trailer but it's rubbish and makes the show look awful, so I didn't

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I liked both of those. Mindhunter has a similar feel and content to Manhunter.

I'm in an odd place with this, I watched the first episode and decided it wasn't for me, saw a lot of recommendations a while ago for it and tried it again, kept going this time but never fell in love with it, I have watched it all which I'm slightly surprised by. When the next season arrives I may find my self without enthusiasm to watch it. The show is very plot driven, but the writing just seems to have gaps where they expected to go back and add character development later, but never did, it leaves me rather disinterested in the characters.
Mindhunter was what I was referring too ( some sort of brain fade on my part ), but yes I greatly enjoyed Michael Mann's manhunter as well.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Managed to make it partway into episode 7 of Devs. At this point I want to strangle whoever wrote this garbage.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Managed to make it partway into episode 7 of Devs. At this point I want to strangle whoever wrote this garbage.
Might give it a miss then!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Started Bosch s6, new Ozark. Will report back. Above the Loop- episode 1 very SLOW but might pick back up

Hunters was good until last episode- fluffed the reveal! (the first big reveal)

Couldnt get into Saul, will try again.

FOH

Some good suggestions, much appreciated.

I have many I could add here but I'm going to limit it to what I feel are absolute not miss shows, that I've yet to see mentioned;

Homeland
Sons of Anarchy
Banshee

With Homeland you get high budget, on location production, solid writing and deep deep cast. The first 2 or 3 seasons are great imo. The current season is so relevant in today's geo-political reality. Slow burn character development undertone accompanied with phenomenally riveting scenes.

Sons of Anarchy
Just wow! At a Thanksgiving dinner seated next to me was my cousin, a elementary school principal. At some point I inquire about any suggestions for good films etc..., he looks at me in disbelief, puts his fork down and says something akin to "forget about anything else and watch Sons of Anarchy".
He urged me to see it. I mentioned it to my wife on the ride home and she had a similar reaction because of her hospital colleagues were all in agreement as to how good it was.
Over the next few weeks we consumed the first few seasons and it was simply outstanding. Just so compelling one episode after another.

It may just have one of the best seasons of TV I've seen. There's no fall off season to season,... quite the contrary. The first handful of seasons just get better and better, ie., writing, execution, and character development... my goodness, as deep as it gets.

Banshee
Again, my wife's pick initially. But it delivered and continues to deliver as the seasons progress.
I can't stand shows with a slowly progressive fall off.

Homeland and Sons of Anarchy, great stuff.
Banshee, very good stuff.

This may be one of my first, if not the first posts here, I was active over at AVS for years.

Thanks

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Anyone with Amazon Prime and a Firestick/tv can get a free one year subscription to the Food Network Kitchen app. Food Network shows, classes, etc. No cable sub required. Integrated with recipes. Lots to keep busy with.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
How about really veg out? Binge watch Bargain Hunt.. via BBC iPlayer..

And - PMQ! A lot more fun with Corbyn gone and Kier Starmer there. Really can get under Boris' skin.. Every Wednesday.

Last edited:

lennard

Finally going to get around to finishing The Handmaid’s Tale season 3. Will also likely be fully jumping on the Succession train (never got past episode 4). Might try out The Americans or The Leftovers. Will also probably be keeping up with more weekly-releasing premieres over the next few months just because I’ll have more time for more shows.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Watched Black Mirror on BBC when it originally aired via VPN, overall great, still think about some episodes.

Castle Rock-lots of tension, S1 was better than 2

Westworld, for the effects and cinematography alone. Season 1 and 3 are my favorites.

Downton Abby- nice to have a calm show that is superbly acted. Watched all seasons, but not the movie yet. I don’t like to binge, rather have a mix.

Currently watching Hanna, is ok, has the guy from Altered Carbon Season 1.

Also watch way too much anime, but I like how many episodes, like a never ending smorgasbord of 20 minute delights.

win

Just started All American on Netflix. Not at all my usual cup of tea, but it's actually really good!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, +1 for Altered Carbon. Of course if you are more a reader try the novels instead. They are even better.

A series I really liked seemed to get overlooked when released. It is "The Night of" on HBO. Really good in my opinion, most especially how the ending is done. "Beforeigners" is a recent series on HBO. A little uneven, but rather different. A situation where people show up from other times in history in the modern world. Time migrants of a sort.

And yes for anyone who hasn't do check out "Better Call Saul" to see how the attorney in Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman, came to the place he was.

On Netflix, "the Witcher" if sort of fantasy stuff is your taste. "Giri/Haji" is another sleeper of a series. Set in Tokyo and London. Then there is "Babylon Berlin" set just before WWII. "Mindhunter" is very good based upon the real events that went into the development of the FBI's profiling of criminals. Also reality based is "Unbelievable" which is quality programming about actual events. For something more light heart-ed comedy try "the Invention of Lying" with Jennifer Garner and Ricky Gervais. A world like ours, but where no one ever lies, and never does or has. Yet an out of work Ricky Gervais discovers lying is possible. He must deal with the implications of that.
We just binged Beforeigners and loved it. They had damned well better make a second season.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hurt my back Sunday so spent Sunday and Monday starting the Sopranos again. It is aging well.

Feanor

Forum Donor
That's where I quit Altered Carbon, loved the first couple of episodes , got through to the end of S1 and can't be arsed after start of S2.
Season 1 of Altered Carbon was great (for that sort of thing); I've watched in several time. S2, OTOH, is crap: don't waste you time.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Season 1 of Altered Carbon was great (for that sort of thing); I've watched in several time. S2, OTOH, is crap: don't waste you time.

I managed 1 whole ep of s2 and truly could not face a second . Agree s1 was worthy.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Iv loved ' The Sinner ' on Netflix, re watching' The Fall ' with the Mrs .. and slowly getting through the X-files having started it from beginning. I watched it at the time but kinda fragmented so it's been great to get into it from the start.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Im trying the new Lovecraft Country on Sky. Ep1 better than Ep2 - shall decide if continuing after Ep 3.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Although I am not a big fan of detective stories, I enjoyed the first two seasons of Amazon's "Bosch" series, where detective Harry Bosh has a vintage vinyl/vacuum tube stereo system that is featured as part of his "down-time" enjoyment. His system is a McIntosh MX110 pre-amp/tuner, Marantz 6300 turntable, McIntosh MC-240 power amplifier, and Ohm Walsh loudspeakers - and a classic equipment stand/credenza with LP storage. His living room (pictured below) has to be horrible for acoustics.

It is interesting that in the Bosch books, he supposedly listened to CD's, not vinyl/tubes. It looks like Amazon if going to finish up with the 7th season as the final one, so I will see what's available up until now.

View attachment 56436

I agree with you; the sound of analog warm tube record music albums must sound very very terribly bad echoes reverb bouncing destructive in that room above plus the sun cooking the vinyls and the electronics.

It is obvious it's only for TV shows looks plastic fake surreal living in another dimension of our galaxy. Like a very bad sci-fi flick for couch potatoes in the middle of the afternoon with a bag of Cheetos and some tacos with bacon and a big two-liter bottle of PepsiCola.
Like audiophiles do in the California desert living in a high rise skyscraper.

* I'm big on movies and docs, but during a pandemic I usually take a break away from the TV soap operas and hit the mountain trails above the sky with a view on the oceans below among the wildlife and the forests of our ancestors. That's just me though, how my stamina functions to maintain equilibrium.

I'll get back to TV after the pandemic. And I might go seeing Tenet @ the theater when it's empty and they sanitize the entire theater room and seats and floor.
Yeah, I just might, before this pandemic is over ... or not.

@ night I practice my game, chess and music playing and listening.

Top Bottom